NBME advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigMotherKelly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3 weeks out from my test and debating how to best budget time and resources.

I finished one pass each of Kaplan qbank (76%) and UW (80%), and am about to start my second pass on UW. I haven't taken any self-assessments or NBME's yet.

My plan is to take one NBME in the next few days, then the UW self-assessments about 14 and 7 days out, followed by NBME 11 in the last few days.

1. Does this sound like a good plan? What would you change?

2. Which NBME would you recommend as a good "check in" at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would do the uworld assessments at 7 days out and a couple days out (in place of NBME). NBME's are retired questions, which means you definitely won't have any word-for-word exact same questions. You run a much better chance of seeing very similar, if not word-for-word, questions from the uworld self assessments.

Personally, I would do the uworld assessments at 7 days out and a couple days out (in place of NBME). NBME's are retired questions, which means you definitely won't have any word-for-word exact same questions. You run a much better chance of seeing very similar, if not word-for-word, questions from the uworld self assessments.

So, you think the UW self-assessments are sufficient on their own, and you'd use the rest of the time to repeat UW/Kaplan qbank questions I've missed, read FA, etc.?

I'd be happy to save the money on the NBMEs, and the notion of not being able to review my answers bothers me, so something like what you're recommending had actually been my original plan, but so many people seem to use and recommend the NBMEs that I've been weighing finding time for them in my plan...

Any thoughts on the Kaplan self-assessments?

THANKS!

You could still do an NBME 14 days out (or now).

I would stick to repeating uworld over Kaplan (I think uworld questions are much more like the USMLE than Kaplan questions). Not sure about the Kaplan assessments...I didn't use them personally.

And of course, re-read FA!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah, I'm feeling pretty good, I'm just looking for ways to tweak and optimize my last few weeks as much as possible while I still can.

I appreciate the advice, and I wouldn't have solicited it if I weren't flexible enough to make adjustments, so thanks for taking the time to reply.