NBME CBSE Scores July 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I go to a dental school that does not prepare one very well in the basic sciences so I mostly had to learn everything from the bottom up.

Is this OHSU? Would help to know, since its my top choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone here start reviewing for the CBSE during their late D1 or early D2 years (so about a year or more of on and off preparation, especially during the breaks)? If so, did it help at all or was starting that early a waste of time for you? How did y'all that go to schools with breaks no longer than 2 weeks manage? Thanks, congrats, and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
What military branch are you in? An 80 is awesome -- you should be set. When I applied to the Army OMS, my 73 was the highest score that app cycle, still not every applicant is taking it if they have numerical NBDE scores.

Thanks Agent! I am out of school for so long, even though I know where my score stands statistically, it's hard to get a sense of just how well my profile actually means in practice if you know what I mean. So it's nice to see confirmatory comments like yours!
I am with the Canadian Forces (still going through the verification process with SDN, took 'em long enough though). And we are pretty much regarded as the "purple" trade since we can only be army, but we are posted to bases of all elements.
So whereabouts are you now? From your status, I take it as if you are already getting your hands dirty? :) Is it a 4-yr or 6-yr track you are in?

Last edited:
Did anyone here start reviewing for the CBSE during their late D1 or early D2 years (so about a year or more of on and off preparation, especially during the breaks)? If so, did it help at all or was starting that early a waste of time for you? How did y'all that go to schools with breaks no longer than 2 weeks manage? Thanks, congrats, and good luck to everyone!
Honestly you need to know too much info in fine details, so it's very likely that you'll forget a lot if you start that early. It would be a good idea to google general stuff like heart sounds, murmurs, general anatomy early on so you have an idea before you start studying though.

Reactions: 1 user
I took my CBSE the summer before my fourth year because I felt I could concentrate on in without affecting my rank since our apps are submitted by then

Last edited:
Thanks Agent! I am out of school for so long, even though I know where my score stands statistically, it's hard to get a sense of just how well my profile actually means in practice if you know what I mean. So it's nice to see confirmatory comments like yours!
I am with the Canadian Forces (still going through the verification process with SDN, took 'em long enough though). And we are pretty much regarded as the "purple" trade since we can only be army, but we are posted to bases of all elements.
So whereabouts are you now? From your status, I take it as if you are already getting your hands dirty? :) Is it a 4-yr or 6-yr track you are in?
I'm in a four yr track program with the Army. Best of luck with your future in the field!

Last edited:
Do program directors know how many schools you are applying to?

A follow up to that...do program directors know if you have applied to both 4 AND 6 year programs? Not sure if that's taboo or not.....

I don't think it's taboo
I've heard from a lot of my upperclassmen that it IS taboo because program directors really want you to make up your mind about what you want out of the program. But does anyone know if they can see if we apply to BOTH 4 and 6 year programs?

Some 1st year residents told me that during their interviews they were asked why they applied to both. Just make sure you have an answer for that question in case it comes up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Some 1st year residents told me that during their interviews they were asked why they applied to both. Just make sure you have an answer for that question in case it comes up.

That's the tough part....figuring out a good answer to that question. Because they both have such different pros and cons, it's hard to justify why you wouldn't have a preference of one over the other.

"I chose to apply to programs where I thought I would get the best surgical training, not necessarily for the letters that would come after my name."

i applied to a crap ton of schools its going to be pretty embarrassing when they bring it up. i guess i'll just have to be honest why i did it even though i'm a competitive applicant

I'd rather be traveling around and interviewing than making dentures

I took it during my 2nd year right after taking NBDE part 1

That's the tough part....figuring out a good answer to that question. Because they both have such different pros and cons, it's hard to justify why you wouldn't have a preference of one over the other.
Just do what everyone does and give a canned answer that sounds...OK. Something like, "Oh I'm more concerned about the surgical training over the educational pathway" or even "I'm more interested in making sure I achieve my goal of becoming an OMS."

Realize that you're basically giving a "true/false" answer, and the question is really "Did you even mildly prepare for this interview?"