NBME Progress - Looking for advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickgirl390

I tell chemistry jokes periodically.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m taking Step 1 in June, I’ve been studying daily since August at a rate of about 80 new Zanki cards per day. (I started very early because it takes my brain many many passes to retain long term.) Today we took an NBME progress test, and while I haven’t received a score, I didn’t feel good about it at all. There were maybe 10 questions out of 200 that I knew for certain.

Is this normal at this point in the game? I felt like over 50% of the test I haven’t learned yet in class. I’d like to hear from those of you who already took Step 1: how did you feel 6 months out?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Took Step a while back, but I remember that my gut feelings almost never reflected my actual scores in practice tests (or the real test).

Once you get your score, use it to find out your weakest areas and learn from them.

Do lots of questions. The more you do (and review), they higher your score will be. This will reinforce content and help you learn the gamesmanship of the test.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I walk out of every exam dazed and confused. Trust your prep , and look at the actual score.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school has us take a 200-question NBME CBSE at the end of MS2, right before my dedicated. I was at the bottom quartile (210s), still ended up 250+ a couple months later. Granted, my dedicated was much longer and much harder than my friends whose CBSE's were in the 240s-250s, but a weak starting score doesn't mean your fate is sealed.

Reactions: 1 users
Took Step a while back, but I remember that my gut feelings almost never reflected my actual scores in practice tests (or the real test).

Once you get your score, use it to find out your weakest areas and learn from them.

Do lots of questions. The more you do (and review), they higher your score will be. This will reinforce content and help you learn the gamesmanship of the test.

Best of luck!
Right now I only have UWorld as far as a question bank, is that enough?

Right now I only have UWorld as far as a question bank, is that enough?
Depends on how fast you go through question banks. I did kaplan + uworld, but I started early second year and it took me a long time to get through them. I reviewed the questions and their content a lot though.

Better to know one q bank (uworld) very well than spread yourself too thin.

Reactions: 1 user