NBME -- Scores not reported to medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannaBeDentist

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
AAOMS specifies that NBME scores will not be reported to medical schools, are we to interrupt this as our performance will neither hurt or help our application towards 6-yr OMFS programs?

If an applicant does well on the NBME, can they select to report scores to medical schools?

Ultimately, wouldn't this leave little data for 6-yr programs to evaluate? Board scores going p/f, class rank (although some schools do not rank), so then what? All the way back to undergrad scores?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the OMS 6 year programs will see your score but the corresponding medical schools will not. CBSE will still be a part of the application but cannot be considered by the medical schools.

Yes, the OMS program will see the score but the med school won't. Believe me when I say this is a very good thing. If the med schools got ahold of the NBME scores it would be really bad. They would then compare their own students who take the NBME to the dental students who take it. I don't know how the scores compare but in all likelihood it wouldn't be a favorable one for us. And for no other reason except they teach to these exams and dental school does not.