NBME Self assessments or finishing UW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tfom08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got about 3 weeks left and still have 1500 qs left on UW, so I'm planning on trying to finish before the test with about 100 qs per day. I have a few more topics that I haven't covered yet (resp, renal, gi, endocrine) and I'm going through and reading physio along with goljan for these subjects. It is taking me a while to finish up and I want to do a final review (Taus 2 week plan) if possible. I scored a 248 on the UW self assessment last week but haven't taken any NBMEs yet. I don't know that I will have time to finish all the UW qs along with NBME, so should I just take 200q blocks of UW qs and treat it as a practice test, or is the NBME self assessments really worth it because the questions are so much like the real thing? I'll probably take 1 no matter what, but I'm trying to decide if I need to make time to take 3 or 4 of them. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

I've got about 3 weeks left and still have 1500 qs left on UW, so I'm planning on trying to finish before the test with about 100 qs per day. I have a few more topics that I haven't covered yet (resp, renal, gi, endocrine) and I'm going through and reading physio along with goljan for these subjects. It is taking me a while to finish up and I want to do a final review (Taus 2 week plan) if possible. I scored a 248 on the UW self assessment last week but haven't taken any NBMEs yet. I don't know that I will have time to finish all the UW qs along with NBME, so should I just take 200q blocks of UW qs and treat it as a practice test, or is the NBME self assessments really worth it because the questions are so much like the real thing? I'll probably take 1 no matter what, but I'm trying to decide if I need to make time to take 3 or 4 of them. What do you all think?

I have 3.5 weeks between end of class and I have budgeted time for 4. Definitely should work them in - I like UW, but NBME gives me a marker for how I'm doing.

I think overall UW is much better than the NBMEs so long as you review your answers. I've come to the conclusion that NBMEs are really just useful for making you feel better/worse about where you are at. Without review of the missed questions, I consider it 4 hours of wasted time.