NBME subject exam in anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J. Peterman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any of you familiar with the NBME subject tests that are administered to medical students? As part of my medical school anatomy class, I'm required to take the NBME subject exam in Gross Anatomy this December; the results will affect my grade in the class. I'm curious to know the general format of the exam and whether there are particular study materials that you would recommend. Should I buy USMLE review materials and practice USMLE anatomy questions (since NBME administers the USMLE and the subject tests), or do the subject tests require a more in-depth knowledge of anatomy than what's presented on the USMLE?

Thanks,
J.Peterman

Members don't see this ad.

The test is a 125 question multiple choice exam. I would say that the questions are a lot more specific than the gross anatomy questions on the USMLE. More of them will be straight gross anatomy questions as opposed to integrated gross/path questions with huge stems like you might find on the USMLE. The best advice I could give for studying would be to know BRS Gross Anatomy (Chung) really well, and the Anatomy Pre-Test book is a good question source that is very close to the real thing.