NBME's monopoly

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by peyronie, Apr 22, 2001.

1. peyronie

peyronie New Member

Does anyone know if there is any other company out there that plans on taking some of the market away from NBME for administering the Boards? This is getting ridiculous. 385 dollars to take Step 2? Someone is making some serious dough off of this.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member

Sorry about your condition, Peyronie!

AMCAS, NBME, sure there's a monopoly. For how much we'll be making later, though, $385 is a mere drop in the bucket. It's an issue that I think AMSA might be willing to tackle, though...

4. Chris_Topher

Chris_Topher SeƱor Member

$385? How about the practical hands-on portion of step 2 or 3 that NBOME and NBME are considering adding. I have spoken with the director of the NBME and and president of the AOA within the past year, and they are quoting around $800-1200/ administration. That is in addition to travel costs associated with getting your butt to a city where they would administer it.

(FYI, the AOA is pretty certain that this will be up and going for the class of 2004, and the NBME is still in the planning stages)

[This message has been edited by Chris_Topher (edited April 23, 2001).]

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Yep, $1200 is what they are currently charging for the OSCE IMGs must take in Philly so I would not be a bit suprised if the exam is that much more more when it is implemented.

6. gower

gower 1K Member

I have repeatedly suggested to AAMC that all medical schools add to admission requirements a course in Economics, especially one addressing how the cost of the administration of national exams, admissions processes to college and professional schools, and college/university/medical school budgets are determined.

Similarly, all patients of physicians must first be educated as to why the cost of medical care is so high and why physicians charge a hundred dollars a shot to have people open their mouths just to say "AAAHHH"

Physicians' contribution to the cost of medical care is just another ripoff, isn't it?

Physicians are overpaid. They should donate their services free because they just love helping people. Isn't that what they say at medical school interviews? Let the public hold them to their word.

7. Annette

Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    $500 for Step 1(got it before prices went up)
    $610 for Step 2 (not including $125 "test delivery" charge if I decide to take the exam in England)
    $1200 for the CSA
    $? for the TOEFL!

haven't even figured the cost of books for exam prep, plus the extra the airline is going to charge me to bring these babies home . . .

8. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    At last check the TOEFL was $125. And don't forget all the extra charges ECFMG likes to take on - like $45 to accept your TOEFL score and another fee to process your certificate and another fee to serve as your Dean's office during the match and another fee... [​IMG]