NBOME shelfs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peppy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like my school is one of the few that uses the NBOME shelf exams to evaluate us.
Anyone out there who has taken the NBOME ones who can comment on how to prepare for them? (Especially the surgery one, as I will be taking it soon). I'm not sure if the advice from the allopathic shelf exam threads applies to us!

Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like my school is one of the few that uses the NBOME shelf exams to evaluate us.
Anyone out there who has taken the NBOME ones who can comment on how to prepare for them? (Especially the surgery one, as I will be taking it soon). I'm not sure if the advice from the allopathic shelf exam threads applies to us!

Damn, I didn't even know such a thing existed!

Sounds like a step in the right direction.

Never heard of an NBOME shelf exam. I didn't know they existed. We take 6 of the NBME shelf exams after our rotations in Surgery, Psych, Medicine, Family Practice, OB and Peds.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Never heard of an NBOME shelf exam. I didn't know they existed. We take 6 of the NBME shelf exams after our rotations in Surgery, Psych, Medicine, Family Practice, OB and Peds.

Hmmm, we take shelf exams at NYCOM, but I'm not sure if they are NBME or NBOME. Any 3rd/4th years want to comment?

Since it's brought up, what are the osteopathic schools that do shelf exams? At first I heard a lot of NYCOM students say "we're like, the only DO school that does them" but obviously that is not true. I believe I've heard that NSUCOM does, and obv Bradenton... so who else?

nycom takes nbome shelfs - medicine, surgery, ob, peds, psych, fp and omm.

nycom takes nbome shelfs - medicine, surgery, ob, peds, psych, fp and omm.

The OMM shelf was the most laughable test I have had all year.

Sort of reminded me of the laughable NYCOM exams during years 1 and 2.

The questions all have that Deus Ex Machina quality. Non sequiturs, no logic. Come to think of it, psychotic reasoning.

The other shelves were more or less legitimate as opposed to the first two years worth of NYCOM exams, which focused on whatever bogus statistic and irrelevant factoid the lecturer du jour deemed important.

TCOM takes NBME shelf exams for all 3rd year clinicals, + OMM shelf for OMM rotation.

Agree OMM shelf is a joke.

We don't have an OMM rotation. So, I guess I'll never find that out :).

NYCOM doesn't have an OMM rotation either. We have "OMM Fridays" where the whole class has to go to school like once every 2 months or something and learn omm, then we take the shelf. (I think)

Wow... Osteopathic medical schools that don't have OMM rotations as a core rotation? AT Still must be rolling in his grave :laugh:

I actually enjoyed my OMM rotation, though. It was a nice, relaxed month. And when we didn't have patients we could go lie on the back machine - which is AWESOME!

never mind

Last edited:
Any tips on what to use or how to study for the medicine shelf?

Wow... Osteopathic medical schools that don't have OMM rotations as a core rotation? AT Still must be rolling in his grave :laugh:

I actually enjoyed my OMM rotation, though. It was a nice, relaxed month. And when we didn't have patients we could go lie on the back machine - which is AWESOME!

no core OMM rotation for me and I go to the original DO school...AT Still MUST be rolling in his grave...and right next door! :laugh::D

When I interviewed at KCOM, one of my interviewers admitted to me that he didn't really know anything about "osteopathic medicine".

Posted via Mobile Device

I've taken the NBOME shelf exams for FP and Peds. The peds shelf was pretty straight forward, I used blueprints for peds. The FP exam was not too bad. It had some ridiculous OMM questions (something about spinning around on a stool and what direction your vertebrae would be or something, it was way beyond my understanding of OMM. )

I'm taking the surgery and OB/Gyn NBOME shelf exams in December. If anyone wanted to suggest what to study for those I'd appreciate it. (I have surgery recall and case files for Surgery and Blueprints for OB, Pretest for OB and one other OB question book).