NC State University c/o 2025 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCSU CVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Class of 2025 Applicants! This is the Student Services Office for the College of Veterinary Medicine. As you begin the application process, leave any questions you may have here and we will do our best to get them answered. You are also encouraged to review admissions requirements at the NC State CVM web site.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
@NCSU CVM , I have a GPA question that I didn't want to hide in my inbox, since I doubt I'm the only one with it:

How will pass/fail or credit/no credit courses be handled in terms of GPA calculations? My school structures some courses as inherently non-letter-graded, and the pandemic may be shifting others to that format. I saw your VMCAS announcement about pass/fail prerequisites, which I don't think will be applicable to me, but I have some non-prerequisite credit/no credits on my transcript and am curious how that will factor into my GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
@NCSU CVM , I have a GPA question that I didn't want to hide in my inbox, since I doubt I'm the only one with it:

How will pass/fail or credit/no credit courses be handled in terms of GPA calculations? My school structures some courses as inherently non-letter-graded, and the pandemic may be shifting others to that format. I saw your VMCAS announcement about pass/fail prerequisites, which I don't think will be applicable to me, but I have some non-prerequisite credit/no credits on my transcript and am curious how that will factor into my GPA.
Courses completed as pass/fail or credit/no credit are not calculated into the GPA as no quality points exist for calculation.

NC STATE ANNOUNCES THE FOLLOWING ADVISORY TO ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS FOR THE 2021 ADMISSIONS CYCLE.
  1. P/F grades: NC State will allow a Pass in P/F or Satisfactory in the S/U grading systems for prerequisites completed in Spring or Summer 2020
    • courses submitted in the P/F or S/U scale will not be factored into the Required Course GPA calculation
  2. GRE: NC State has waived the GRE General Test for the 2021 admissions cycle
    • If you have already taken the test, please do not send scores to NC State directly or to NC State via VMCAS
    • a decision about requiring the GRE for the 2022 admissions cycle will be made in Fall 2020
  3. LORs: NC State will continue to require three (3) letters of recommendations. Additionally, we still highly recommend that 2 of 3 letters come from DVMs or PhD scientists with whom you have worked.
  4. Experience Hours: NC State will continue to require 200 hours of veterinary experience hours for the 2021 admissions cycle.
Letter grades with at least a C- or better will be required in all semesters following Spring and Summer 2020 as long as COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted. A "Pass" or "Satisfactory" grade for a prerequisite taken in Spring or Summer 2020 will be accepted in any future admissions cycle.

Please contact the Student Services Office at [email protected] if you have any questions about these changes.

Reactions: 2 users
Are there going to be any lowering of in-state/out-of-state GPA requirements for this cycle due to COVID-19?

Are there going to be any lowering of in-state/out-of-state GPA requirements for this cycle due to COVID-19?
These are the changes for the 2021 cycle...

NC STATE ANNOUNCES THE FOLLOWING ADVISORY TO ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS FOR THE 2021 ADMISSIONS CYCLE.
  1. P/F grades: NC State will allow a Pass in P/F or Satisfactory in the S/U grading systems for prerequisites completed in Spring or Summer 2020
    • courses submitted in the P/F or S/U scale will not be factored into the Required Course GPA calculation
  2. GRE: NC State has waived the GRE General Test for the 2021 admissions cycle
    • If you have already taken the test, please do not send scores to NC State directly or to NC State via VMCAS
    • a decision about requiring the GRE for the 2022 admissions cycle will be made in Fall 2020
  3. LORs: NC State will continue to require three (3) letters of recommendations. Additionally, we still highly recommend that 2 of 3 letters come from DVMs or PhD scientists with whom you have worked.
  4. Experience Hours: NC State will continue to require 200 hours of veterinary experience hours for the 2021 admissions cycle.
Letter grades with at least a C- or better will be required in all semesters following Spring and Summer 2020 as long as COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted. A "Pass" or "Satisfactory" grade for a prerequisite taken in Spring or Summer 2020 will be accepted in any future admissions cycle.

Please contact the Student Services Office at [email protected] if you have any questions about these changes.

After submitting VMCAS, approximately how long can we expect to receive the supplemental application?

After submitting VMCAS, approximately how long can we expect to receive the supplemental application?
We wait until an application reaches the Received, Complete or Verified status. The supplemental application will be ready the week of July 13.

We wait until an application reaches the Received, Complete or Verified status. The supplemental application will be ready the week of July 13.
Once we download from VMCAS, applicants should receive access to the supplemental in two business days.

Are applications still open?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can learn more about our admissions requirements and the application process here.

In addition to the VMCAS application, we also require a supplemental application. Access to the supplemental application will be emailed to you once you have submitted and paid your VMCAS application fee and your VMCAS status is updated to "received", "complete", or "verified". This is not immediate and can take up to 48 business hours. You will receive an email from NC State instructing you to create an account. Once the account has been created, you will be able to access the supplemental application. The supplemental application deadline is September 30, 2020 at 1:00pm.

Stay up to date with all of the exciting things happening at the CVM by visiting our website!

If you have any questions, please email us at: [email protected].

Wishing you all the best in the 2021 admissions cycle!

CVM Student Services Office

REMINDER -- NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO APPLY; DON'T WAIT UNTIL THE DEADLINE

The VMCAS cycle will close on September 15, 2020 at 11:59pm ET.

The NC State supplemental application is due September 30, 2020 at 1:00pm ET.

REMINDER -- VMCAS DEADLINE IS COMING!!!

The VMCAS cycle will close on September 15, 2020 at 11:59pm ET.

The NC State supplemental application is due September 30, 2020 at 1:00pm ET.

NC State still has 1,435 applications listed as "In Progress."

FYI, today is a great day to submit.

Hi there! So I just wanted to ask at what point do you suggest I contact NCSU CVM about receiving the supplemental app? I submitted Thursday early evening 9/10 and have yet to receive it and I know it's within 48 business hours but last year I received it the same day I submitted. My VMCAS application has already been verified (I was waitlisted last year so fingers are crossed this is my year!)

Thank you!

Hi there! So I just wanted to ask at what point do you suggest I contact NCSU CVM about receiving the supplemental app? I submitted Thursday early evening 9/10 and have yet to receive it and I know it's within 48 business hours but last year I received it the same day I submitted. My VMCAS application has already been verified (I was waitlisted last year so fingers are crossed this is my year!)

Thank you!
Update: I got it this morning, thanks!!

Thank you!
Please allow for at least 48 business hours. Application traffic is the heaviest within the last five days of the VMCAS cycle.

Hi! Quick question. I am filling out the supplemental and this will be my second time applying to NCSU (OOS). When it asks "Number of time you have applied to DVM program" would it include this year as well (2 times)? Or would it be previous applications (1 time)? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Quick question. I am filling out the supplemental and this will be my second time applying to NCSU (OOS). When it asks "Number of time you have applied to DVM program" would it include this year as well (2 times)? Or would it be previous applications (1 time)? Thanks in advance!

You can respond "2" to include this cycle's (2021) application.

In the supplemental, for prerequisites if we took a course twice do we put the higher of the two grades or both?

NCSU CVM...does question 8 on the supplemental application reference specifically apply to NCSU or to veterinary schools in general?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to answer the ethical dilemma question on the supplemental application?

NCSU CVM...does question 8 on the supplemental application reference specifically apply to NCSU or to veterinary schools in general?
The question about what you have done to strengthen your application? I would assume that it is if you have previously applied to NCSU because it is their supplemental.

Question 7 and 8 on the supplemental application are optional, correct?

The question about what you have done to strengthen your application? I would assume that it is if you have previously applied to NCSU because it is their supplemental.
This is the correct interpretation of the question.

REMINDER - The supplemental application closes at 1pm ET today (40 minutes from now).

The application vetting process is underway for the 2021 admissions cycle. Please use <[email protected]> to e-mail any questions you may have. We ask for your patience as response time may take up to 72 business hours. Thank you!

Are you able to tell us how many IS/OOS applicants there are for this cycle?

Are you able to tell us how many IS/OOS applicants there are for this cycle?
NC State received 1900 VMCAS applications but only 1600 submitted both the VMCAS and NC State supplemental applications.

Of the 1600, 1300 are OOS and 300 are IS.

Here's the applicant figures for the 2021 cycle (non-rounded)
1318 OOS
336 IS
1654 TOTAL

Reactions: 2 users
you would've had 337 IS if NCSUs organic chemistry wasn't so hard haha

1606337134170.png

Hi!

Are you able to tell us when can we expect to hear from the school?

Also, happy thanksgiving !

Hi!

I heard back on 12/20 last year if this helps! Definitely a top choice school. The people working in the admissions department here are so sweet and caring.

I heard back on 12/20 last year if this helps! Definitely a top choice school. The people working in the admissions department here are so sweet and caring.

Ohh thank you so much for that information!

Yes! NC is a top choice

Ohh thank you so much for that information!

Yes! NC is a top choice
If you are out of state, you should hear sometime in December but if you are in state, you'll hear in February/March. NC State doesn't do interviews and they evaluate out of state first.

Hi!

Unfortunately, we can't commit to a specific date. NC State experienced a significant increase in applications this cycle, +30% over last year. It will not, however, be in December. We appreciate your patience with us as we manage the admissions process.

Unfortunately, we can't commit to a specific date. NC State experienced a significant increase in applications this cycle, +30% over last year. It will not, however, be in December. We appreciate your patience with us as we manage the admissions process.
Hello! Can you tell us how many total seats are available for both IS and OOS for the Class of 2025?

Any one know when we should be hearing anything?