NCE/LPC question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deesbees

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My name is Dee and I've come to this site seeking advice. I have been teaching for 6 years and I'm a certified school counselor. I graduated from a CACREP- accredited program and I am ready to go with my initial plan upon graduation, and that is obtain my LPC. I finished my masters program in Texas, but have since moved to New Orleans to teach in the schools here. I was accepted into a doctoral program at LSU, but decided to take a year to apply to a few more schools that had programs more geared to my background and experience. So there's two things that I am really preparing for: taking the NCE and applying to counseling or psychology based doctoral programs. The problem is there are not many options here in Louisiana for counseling programs, with exception to University of New Orleans. There are some options out of state. Ideally, I would like to become a LPC-intern in the same state that I am working on my PhD. However, I am wondering how this will work for me taking the NCE in Louisiana. All of this just to ask: do I have to register as a LPC-I in the same state that I take the NCE?

Your help is appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

It varies state by state. In some states, students take the NCE as a comprehensive exam right before graduation. And then after earning their post masters hours they apply to take the NCMHCE. In other states, the NCE and the requisite hours are all that us needed to be licensed.

Two suggestions:
Join ACA if you are not already a member.
subscribe to the counsgrads listserv and post your question there also.

This is a great forum, AND the listserv has lots of specific guidance for beginning professionals and students.

Best of luck!