NDBE 1 Oh No here we go

Discussion in 'Dental' started by c132, Apr 13, 2004.

1. c132

c132 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone else starting to get a little nervous over this?? I haven't started studying yet, but plan on putting a hard 2-3 weeks in right before hand. How is everyone going to study for this thing, I am totally in the blue guys....

Guys do some of you want to email each other our schools review for the boards. I am trying to get some good materials to study/ rather than going through those dang decks so many times!!! PM me if anyone has anything!!! I have a few notes that my school compiled for us, nothing major yet, but it should be coming!!!

2. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    I just registered for the NBDE I this past week.

I can't believe how quickly it seems to be sneaking up on me. I only plan on putting 3 weeks of hard studying (11-12 hrs/day) in before the exam.

I'm not shooting for superior scores, and I figure that ought to get me decent scores.

I have some Kaplan stuff if you want it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. speter33

speter33 S.D.N.'s Captain
    7+ Year Member

So is it true that you guys get the computerized version this year? Can you register to take it at the day convenient for you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

I would love to hear your experiences and results... keep this thread updated.

5. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    Yep, completely true. Just like the DAT. You can go to the "Testing services" division of the ADA website (www.ada.org) to read all about it.

It costs $100 more than the paper version, but the scores get back to you twice as quick (3-4 weeks).

6. c132

c132 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have the kaplan stuff too!! I also have the old released exams if you want them. Let me know!!!

7. Doggie

Doggie Professional Jackass
    10+ Year Member

I used Toymeds to help me study..............NOT

HAHAHAHA.......sorry......had to do post this before that other dude does......

8. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

Just general questions about NBDE1:

a. how long is it? (time/#questions/sections)
    b. if you dont feel comfortable with your scores, how many times can you re-take it?
    c. how bad do you have to do to fail the test? (% wise or cut-off points)
    d. are the scores scored against other students around the country, or is it just individual scoring?

Thanks

9. Westside22

Westside22 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was wondering where and how a student can obtain previously released exams. Are they free or do we have to buy them?

And how far back do they go and realistically how far back should a student use those dated exams?

Can anyone give insights to the Kaplan materials? How detailed and how helpful the materials are?

I previously thought that in order to get Kaplan materials, you have to sign up for the class for about $900 to $1000 to get the materials, but recently, I have been confirmed that you can pay around $300 to get the review book for Part I and get access to Kaplans' online question banks.

Any thoughts on this?

:)

10. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    Westside, the previously released exams are available for purchase through the American Student Dental Association (www.asdanet.org). Of course, you can always find people selling them or selling photocopies of them.

In regards to Kaplan, it seems that they have recently revamped their entire pricing scheme. You can now get the Q-Bank questions and the Review Notes at a cheap price, like you mentioned.

For me, the Review Notes are completely overkill. The Q-Bank questions are fair, but you have to keep in mind that Kaplan has a vested interest in making their materials difficult. If they were easy, then you'd think you didn't need their materials to help you out.

Just my thoughts.

11. gpg

gpg Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi guys

I am a dentist from India....have taken the part I so thought I will share some thoughts with u guys..

1)It is pretty easy to pass.....Biochem sucks as usual....but DAO and Path-Micro are prtty ok.

2)You have to do the decks and past papers A to Z.....the 2004 dekcs have just been released but the 2001 were good enough for me to clear the boards.Solving the papers helps as it gives u an idea about the exam and also a lot of questions are repeated.

3)Get hold of the Lippincott High Yield series for Part I ...the reviews.....they are excellant and to the point!For Biochem though I would recommend the Lippincott text-book.

4)In case you all need any help for DAO I have put up a thread about occlusion....have covered everything save cuspal relations in lateral movements.....that is taking too much of my time.

click on http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=111906

lemme know if you all find it helpful.

All the best!

12. alberts11

alberts11 Junior Member

You might as well not even study. They take all the applications, put names in a hat, and assign scores randomly. I knew six answers in biochem, and got an 82???? Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes.

13. c132

c132 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Man you must have pulled some answers out of your azz! I hope to be that lucky. I will know 50 of them and guess on 50 of them -- then need 51 right to pass and not guess one of the other 50 right! Thats how it always goes!!!!