Nearing the end, what to do next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solarwinggx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Im on the wait list for 3 schools whose CTE dates are approaching.
Dartmouth 7/1
Albany 7/8
Creighton 7/8

What do I do after these dates have passed? Is it possible for me to still be accepted after those dates?

I'm also at a lost to what I should do next. This is my second time applying for medical schools and it seems like I have yet again failed to get into any of them. Its been over 4 years since I graduated and I feel like I'm at my limit..
Below is my application, what can I do to make it better?

Here's my info:
I'm a nontraditional applicant who applied in 2016-2017 and didn't get into any schools; here's my post a few years back (Rejected 2017 cycle, what to do next? ),
cGPA: 3.69; sGPA: 3.85 (CC classes i took in high school weighed me down + Junior semester didnt go so smoothly for me after transferring to UC Berkeley, but I brought GPA back up senior year)
MCAT: 515 (130/126/131/128)
Previous MCAT scores: 504 (127/122/128/127), 30 (10/9/11)
State of residence: California, Green Card holder (Canadian Citizen)
Race: Asian - Taiwanese
Undergraduate institution: UC Berkeley
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
~570 hours (2 years) in Kaiser ED prepping rooms, serving patients food and providing general assistance to nurses
~120 hours (1 year) doing medical outreach for under-served communities in Merced and Modesto
+500 hours (1yr 4mo) as a part time EMT-BLS (this is my job currently)
Research experience and productivity:
~500 hours (1 year) in evolutionary biology lab with PI (studying beetles) w/ paper published in 2017
~1500 hours(1.5 years) in a cancer biology lab with Post-doc (did my honors thesis in this lab).
~2000 hours (1 years) as a full time lab manager/research associate for a lab
~700+ hours (9 months) as a full time Research associate for a Biotech company based at NASA - I was making transgenic mice and rats
Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
100+ hours (2 years) in Kaiser ED shadowing (I could follow any doctors and nurses whenever it was appropriate, but there wasn't 1 doctor i followed consistently, it was whomever was available during my shift)
Non-clinical volunteering:
+300 hours (2 years) Volunteer for San Quentin State Prison as a Math/Science Tutor for college credit transferable classes
+300 hours (3 years) Science education outreach for schools with low to zero science programs + Mentoring Middle School students to help them design their own science experiments.
~100 hours (1 year) doing science education outreach for minorities (SACNAS)

Other extracurricular activities:
~240 hours (1 year)working as a math tutor in community college
~700 hours (1 year) as a cashier while going to school to support myself

LoR - I got a letter from...
PI from beetle publication
PI from cancer biology lab
two science letters from professors whom I did really well in their classes consecutively.
two letters from Prison volunteering
one letter from outreach volunteering
one letter from EMT job.

Relevant honors or awards:
Graduated with Honors
LizzyM - 71
WARS - 73

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
what did your school list look like this time around?

Second time applying i did these schools

Albany
Albert Einstein
Cooper Medical School of Rowan
Creighton
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Drexel
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Kaiser Permanente School of Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine
University of Vermont
Rush Medical College of Rush University
Seton Hall-Hackensack Meridian
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center
Tufts University
University of California, Davis,
University of California, Irvine,
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, Riverside
University of California, San Diego
University of California, San Francisco
University of Cincinnati
University of Colorado
University of Massachusetts Medical
University of Rochester
University of Wisconsin
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D.

There’s still time for WL movement. If you don’t get in, do Americorps on your gap year. That always looks good. Also apply DO next time, as well as MD. Don’t be too proud to not apply DO. 3 WL means you were so close and had a good app. Keep trying, don’t give up!

There’s still time for WL movement. If you don’t get in, do Americorps on your gap year. That always looks good. Also apply DO next time, as well as MD. Don’t be too proud to not apply DO. 3 WL means you were so close and had a good app. Keep trying, don’t give up!
how much time for WL movement? does it happen after the CTE date of those schools?

I didn't apply for DO because I wanted to go into more of the research aspect of medicine, specifically in infectious disease and immunology. Why not PhD? cause I worked in research for over 5 years didn't like what academic research is like.

how much time for WL movement? does it happen after the CTE date of those schools?

I didn't apply for DO because I wanted to go into more of the research aspect of medicine, specifically in infectious disease and immunology. Why not PhD? cause I worked in research for over 5 years didn't like what academic research is like.

I'm pretty sure you can do research as a DO. Also, you say you wanted to go into research, but also don't like research? Honestly, your ECs seem pretty good. Maybe tack on PCP/FM shadowing? Your stats are borderline ok for MD but DO should be on your list too, especially since you have 3 MCATs and one of them trended downward. Also, make sure your written components are solid and practice your interview skills. I'm sorry you didn't get in after a second cycle. This process is a crapshoot which is why you should always maximize your chances.

Hey guys

Dartmouth 7/1
Albany 7/8
Creighton 7/8

What do I do after these dates have passed? Is it possible for me to still be accepted after those dates?

I'm also at a lost to what I should do next. This is my second time applying for medical schools and it seems like I have yet again failed to get into any of them. Its been over 4 years since I graduated and I feel like I'm at my limit..

Here's my info:
I'm a nontraditional applicant who applied in 2016-2017 and didn't get into any schools; here's my post a few years back (Rejected 2017 cycle, what to do next? ),
cGPA: 3.69; sGPA: 3.85 (CC classes i took in high school weighed me down + Junior semester didnt go so smoothly for me after transferring to UC Berkeley, but I brought GPA back up senior year)
~570 hours (2 years) in Kaiser ED prepping rooms, serving patients food and providing general assistance to nurses
~120 hours (1 year) doing medical outreach for under-served communities in Merced and Modesto
~500 hours (1 year) in evolutionary biology lab with PI (studying beetles) w/ paper published in 2017
~1500 hours(1.5 years) in a cancer biology lab with Post-doc (did my honors thesis in this lab).
~700+ hours (9 months) as a full time Research associate for a Biotech company based at NASA - I was making transgenic mice and rats
100+ hours (2 years) in Kaiser ED shadowing (I could follow any doctors and nurses whenever it was appropriate, but there wasn't 1 doctor i followed consistently, it was whomever was available during my shift)
+300 hours (2 years) Volunteer for San Quentin State Prison as a Math/Science Tutor for college credit transferable classes
+300 hours (3 years) Science education outreach for schools with low to zero science programs + Mentoring Middle School students to help them design their own science experiments.

two science letters from professors whom I did really well in their classes consecutively.
one letter from EMT job.

Graduated with Honors
LizzyM - 71
WARS - 73

you’re app looks great to be honest. Asians are unfortunately held to the highest standards for the admissions game, so that’s likey a factor here.

I’d say either raise the mcat score to the high teens or more, or consider DO

you have a ton of experience and good stats.. have you asked schools why you were rejected? do you think the canadian citizenship might be holding you back? maybe they are essentially be treating you as an international applicant because of that
I havent asked.. should I? I figured they are just going to tell me some cookie cutter response.

You should reapply next month if not accepted by mid July. Include DO schools and I suggest these DO schools:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM
For MD schools apply more broadly and I suggest these:
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Kaiser
UC Davis
UC Irvine

You should reapply next month if not accepted by mid July. Include DO schools and I suggest these DO schools:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM
For MD schools apply more broadly and I suggest these:
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Kaiser
UC Davis
UC Irvine

You don't think I should wait another year too boost my application? I thought it was not recommended to apply year after year

I don't know what I would do, that's why I'm making this post.

What do I explain to schools when they ask me what I've been up to during this whole time, applying to medical schools? waiting?

Hey guys

Dartmouth 7/1
Albany 7/8
Creighton 7/8

Here's my info:

one letter from EMT job.

Graduated with Honors
LizzyM - 71
WARS - 73
I'm an EMT

Hey guys

Dartmouth 7/1
Albany 7/8
Creighton 7/8

Here's my info:

one letter from EMT job.

Graduated with Honors
LizzyM - 71
WARS - 73
Strongly recommend applying DO. At the top of the DO list, would recommend Michigan State. While they have an in-state preference they also accept a good number of Canadian applicants. Also one of the top DO programs receiving research $’s.

funding for research

if it was me, the other thing i would do is consider that maybe i don't come off as good in an interview as i think i do and really also focus on that. find someone who will ask you hard and uncomfortable questions as well as the easier ones. i think all of us believe we are better at interviewing than most of us are. Maybe this is already a strong skill for you, but for most it is not. You are getting invited to good interviews so already you are worth their time. Maybe it is just making that extra effort on a lasting impression with a key point on why they need to pick you from the rest. I agree also with the DO comment as well you can always turn it down, but at least you potentially have an option if things don't turn out.

hopefully you will still get the call this cycle! best of luck

Reactions: 1 user