Nebraska Applicants (UNMC and Creighton) 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOUNDMAN

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any news is always appreciated. Allegedly the admissions committee for UNMC met on December 15th. Post if you hear something on either school.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at UNMC on the 16th...admissions staff said the first block of interviewees would be getting acceptance letters before christmas most likely (although she stressed it was a very small amount). The 12/16 group was told to expect a decision by the second week of january if our files were complete by next week...hope that helps...

I interviewed at creighton on 12/9 and we were told we would here something by Christmas.

Members don't see this ad :)
snobored18 said:
I interviewed at UNMC on the 16th...admissions staff said the first block of interviewees would be getting acceptance letters before christmas most likely (although she stressed it was a very small amount). The 12/16 group was told to expect a decision by the second week of january if our files were complete by next week...hope that helps...

I interviewed at UNMC on 11/11 - I wonder if that puts me in the "very small amount" group that will hear a decision before christmas....

dsprague12 said:
I interviewed at UNMC on 11/11 - I wonder if that puts me in the "very small amount" group that will hear a decision before christmas....

I think this is only if you are "accepted". A small amount of people are accepted right in the beginning (December and January) and then it progresses. Latest you will know is March 15th obviously.

SOUNDMAN said:
I think this is only if you are "accepted". A small amount of people are accepted right in the beginning (December and January) and then it progresses. Latest you will know is March 15th obviously.

thanks for the clarification - i suspect i'll be waiting past next week then.

SOUNDMAN said:

Great news! I am glad to hear they have finally met. I wonder who they consider for this first round of acceptances?

dsprague12 said:
thanks for the clarification - i suspect i'll be waiting past next week then.

As will I. I'm sure that I won't be one of those first accepted, that is usually for the stud applicants that I am not quite apart of.

I haven't heard anything as of now, still waiting for someone to post about that first acceptance.

SOUNDMAN said:
I haven't heard anything as of now, still waiting for someone to post about that first acceptance.

Yah, me too. I would be interested as to who they except in Dec. What is so special about a Dec. acceptance?

Anyway, I'll keep an ear out if I hear anything.

vir0n said:
Yah, me too. I would be interested as to who they except in Dec. What is so special about a Dec. acceptance?

Anyway, I'll keep an ear out if I hear anything.

I think those who will get December acceptances at UNMC are the ones who interviewed early in the season. I think the first interview was end of september. I interviewed Oct. 7 and they told us we would hear back from them by December. hope that helps. regards,

Members don't see this ad :)
I e-mailed the admissions office at UNMC and they said they had "already begun accepting students." They also indicated some people are rejected after one review, so if you haven't heard anything, they're re-reviewing your file until a decision is made (March at the latest).

I'll have to go check my snail mail...

Edit: Didn't get anything.

Interviewed at UNMC on Nov 4th, accepted today (12/21)!!! First acceptance, couldn't be happier, good luck to everyone!

erikaburke said:
Interviewed at UNMC on Nov 4th, accepted today (12/21)!!! First acceptance, couldn't be happier, good luck to everyone!

Did your online status page change at all or did you only find out through snail mail?

There's an online status page? I did my initital secondary online, but I've never seen a status page. Am I missing something. Congrats erika!

SOUNDMAN said:
There's an online status page? I did my initital secondary online, but I've never seen a status page. Am I missing something. Congrats erika!

Yea, it's the same web address as the application. I don't know if they update it with the admission decision or not - they kerp track of all other things on there though (photo, interview invite, interview complete, etc.).

https://net.unmc.edu/apply/secure/login.asp?bw=p

i found out through regular mail, my on-line status page just ends with the date i interviewed

anyone hear anything besides erika?

Just wondering, would it be kosher for me to ask the admission's office for an update on my status?

Go for it, I don't think they are bad about it at all from what I know. It's just a huge waiting game. They'll probably tell you, "you'll know something for sure by March 15th."

Hey guys,

I just got an acceptance from UNMC last week. I interviewed 10/13

Hoooba said:
Hey guys,

I just got an acceptance from UNMC last week. I interviewed 10/13

Do you mind if I ask you what your stats are? (In-state or out-of-state, MCAT, GPA, etc.)

And when you received your letter would be nice as well :) Congrats by the way.

Creighton acceptance today!!! Emailed the office to get a status update on when decision letters would be sent out and they told me I was accepted and would have a letter sent out tomorrow!

Any news from UNMC by anybody, or are we all just waiting patiently?

SOUNDMAN said:
Any news from UNMC by anybody, or are we all just waiting patiently?

still in a holding pattern here. *gulp*

vir0n said:
still in a holding pattern here. *gulp*

Don't worry - UNMC can make you wait a long time. I didn't find out until mid-may..and I think there's at least one or two in this (09) class that didn't find out until a week or two before classes began

UNMC is sending them, I got mine at the end of December, but I was quite surprised to hear from them that soon. Good luck

nebrfan said:
Don't worry - UNMC can make you wait a long time. I didn't find out until mid-may..and I think there's at least one or two in this (09) class that didn't find out until a week or two before classes began

I sure hope I hear earlier than that.

Rockhouse said:
UNMC is sending them, I got mine at the end of December, but I was quite surprised to hear from them that soon. Good luck

when was your interview?

dsprague12 said:
when was your interview?

The last week of October, I believe the 28th.

Hopefully this helps some folks...I just recieved an acceptance letter from UNMC dated January 12th...I interviewed 12/16 and I'm an out of state student so UNMC is sending letters out...

So have you decided whether you would go to Iowa or Nebraska? Congrats on your acceptance. :thumbup:

Haven't decided yet...I still have to interview for the medical scholars program at UNMC on 1/25-26...but if I have to choose an MD only school its going to be Iowa since thats where I'm a resident...I was very impressed with UNMC though and really wish I knew when the new medical education building will be complete...that said I hope to make a decision quickly so someone else can have the same feeling of relief I've got right now...it feels great to know you have a seat and a white coat waiting somewhere.

Here is my understanding of how Nebraska application process works:

1) The committee reviews applications based on a lotto system. So it appears to be random - no first come first serve.

2) The committee will be meeting weekly from here until March.

3) All applicants will hear something by March 15th.

Just an observation based on the results from students on SDN - it seems that the acceptances sent out thus far have been to out-of-state students.

vir0n said:
Here is my understanding of how Nebraska application process works:

1) The committee reviews applications based on a lotto system. So it appears to be random - no first come first serve.

2) The committee will be meeting weekly from here until March.

3) All applicants will hear something by March 15th.

Just an observation based on the results from students on SDN - it seems that the acceptances sent out thus far have been to out-of-state students.

In addition, they use a quartile system for their waitlist (if you're waitlisted, they won't tell you until March). 1st quartile is automatically deferred to next year if the list doesn't move through the 1st. Last year they went a little into the 3rd, the year before they didn't make it through the 2nd, and two years ago they actually used the entire waitlist and called up a few people from the reject list.

They've also said that the last two years have had the highest stats of any accepted class previously. If I remember right, our average MCAT was around a 30-31 w/ a 3.6-7ish GPA

Man, Creighton hasn't said a thing to me at all. What the hell is taking them so long!

nebrfan said:
In addition, they use a quartile system for their waitlist (if you're waitlisted, they won't tell you until March). 1st quartile is automatically deferred to next year if the list doesn't move through the 1st. Last year they went a little into the 3rd, the year before they didn't make it through the 2nd, and two years ago they actually used the entire waitlist and called up a few people from the reject list.

They've also said that the last two years have had the highest stats of any accepted class previously. If I remember right, our average MCAT was around a 30-31 w/ a 3.6-7ish GPA

Why does this not seem fair to me?

vir0n said:
Why does this not seem fair to me?
Does anything n this process really seem fair?

What's also interesting is "who" they consider in-state residents. They say they give preference to in-state residents, but if you've even driven through on I-80 they seem to say you are an instate resident. Or if your parents live here, but you've been living in another state for the last 5 years (paying taxes there, drivers license there, received instate tuition at that states school), you are still a resident in Nebraska? There have been more than a few cases like that. It's interesting how much of a crap shoot this thing is.

/me gets off of soap box and crawls back to work....

UNMC committee met 1/18!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Yep they send stuff out on Thursday and hopefully people will get some notices of positive on Friday or Saturday.

Even if you aren't an in-state student, you can pay in-state tuition. Almost everybody I know in my class who isn't from Nebraska pays in-state tuition. That's a savings of $27,000 this year alone. Do the math. It's a lot.

Just thought I'd drop in to mention that U Neb is sending out rejection letters in addition to acceptances :mad: I interviewed back in October and would have figured that they'd wait til March to drop the bad news. Oh well, at least I got a Creighton acceptance today (interviewed Jan 13.) :)

Has anyone here received a scholarship from Creighton yet? Just wondering when they start handing those babies out.

Ralantha,

Sorry to hear that about UNMC. Were you an instate resident or out of state? Congrats on the Creighton acceptance though! Wow you had great stats as well it looks like...

Any news from anyone? Just bumping this thread.