Nebraska Applicants (UNMC and Creighton) 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SOUNDMAN said:
Any news from anyone? Just bumping this thread.

Still waiting on UNMC - seems like those who haven't heard yet (at least if they interviewed along time ago) are more likely to be waitlisted than anything else? Or am I just making that up?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually I know of several people that were accepted at the March 15th deadline when they have to notify you of your status. But I think we are currently in this lag phase until that time. They are seeing what everyone that they have given early acceptances to are going to do. Atleast someone else is waiting like I am I guess.

SOUNDMAN said:
Ralantha,

Sorry to hear that about UNMC. Were you an instate resident or out of state? Congrats on the Creighton acceptance though! Wow you had great stats as well it looks like...

I'm out of state for Nebraska, but my mom lives in Omaha so I figured why not apply. I was really impressed with Creighton; I think that's the first school where I met students from all years, not just M1s.

Members don't see this ad :)
SOUNDMAN said:
Any news from anyone? Just bumping this thread.

I found out in got in to UNMC a few weeks ago. NE resident, right at UNMC's averages for GPA, MCAT. Will be attending UNMC for sure.

Scrub MD said:
I found out in got in to UNMC a few weeks ago. NE resident, right at UNMC's averages for GPA, MCAT. Will be attending UNMC for sure.
Congratulations! :D

Great choice too - Nebraska really really really impressed me...

I called the admissions office today and Gigi told me that the final decisions had been made. They are in the mail as of this afternoon. According to Gigi, I am in the 2nd quartile waiting list. Hopefully, there are lots of people out there who plan to go elsewhere, so UNMC will get down to my name! :eek:

Does anyone know if/when UNMC notifies you of final finacial aid pacakges?

I was offered a little from the dean upon accpetance, but I'm not sure if its enough to convince me to turn down a free MD/PhD ride ><

Or...if anyone has advice about how exactly to approach calling and asking for more scholarship...for the second time? :X

live2theedge said:
I called the admissions office today and Gigi told me that the final decisions had been made. They are in the mail as of this afternoon. According to Gigi, I am in the 2nd quartile waiting list. Hopefully, there are lots of people out there who plan to go elsewhere, so UNMC will get down to my name! :eek:

FYI, I was in the 2nd quartile last year and found out around mid-may - you should be fine.

I proudly join you people in the second quartile. At first I was kinda disappointed because it wasn't an acceptance but after reading about about they typically get into the second quartile people, I am feeling a little better. Now I just have to wait a little longer. Unfortunately, waiting is the worst part of this whole process. Ugghhhh..... Well if anyone hears anything from the wait list please share. May seems sooooo far away. I am definitely learning patience if nothing else.

DRLaura said:
I proudly join you people in the second quartile. At first I was kinda disappointed because it wasn't an acceptance but after reading about about they typically get into the second quartile people, I am feeling a little better. Now I just have to wait a little longer. Unfortunately, waiting is the worst part of this whole process. Ugghhhh..... Well if anyone hears anything from the wait list please share. May seems sooooo far away. I am definitely learning patience if nothing else.

Welcome DRLaura! We will wait together. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and me! ;)

Well the waitlist is about to move...my withdraw letter is drafted and going in the mail tomorrow :(

eram said:
Well the waitlist is about to move...my withdraw letter is drafted and going in the mail tomorrow :(

Sad to see you go.... well actually.... not really... sorry. :p I am on the waitlist. I am happy to hear of people withdrawing. Keep em coming people! :D And good luck with your MD/PhD program eram. :luck:

There should be more movement next week...I am withdrawing both an MD only acceptance and an MD/PhD acceptance from UNMC (sounds odd I know...I got in MD then decided to go for the dual degree acceptance). Great school with terrific facilities and future but you've also got to be happy with where your spending the next 4+ years...best of luck to those who are headed to UNMC it really is a solid choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody heard about merit scholarships from UNMC? And know whether or not they are renewable?

snobored18 said:
There should be more movement next week...I am withdrawing both an MD only acceptance and an MD/PhD acceptance from UNMC (sounds odd I know...I got in MD then decided to go for the dual degree acceptance). Great school with terrific facilities and future but you've also got to be happy with where your spending the next 4+ years...best of luck to those who are headed to UNMC it really is a solid choice.

You know, thats almost exactly how I felt about it...their future is going to be stellar, and they're really going to be an up and coming academic medical center I think - but at the same, time you are so right about having to be happy with what's there the 8 years you're going to be studying and not about how great they're going to be in the future. Not that its bad now, I absolutely loved it, but its just going to get better from here :)

DRLaura said:
Sad to see you go.... well actually.... not really... sorry. :p I am on the waitlist. I am happy to hear of people withdrawing. Keep em coming people! :D And good luck with your MD/PhD program eram. :luck:

Hehe thanks :) and good luck to you at UNMC! :luck:

Somewhere on SDN I read that the USMLE scores for UNMC are "through the roof" lately. Does anyone know their average USMLE score for steps 1 and 2?

When I interviewed there, Dean Hill mentioned indicated that the Step 1 scores are "consistantly above the national average" (as all schools say), but he definetely did not indicate that they were "through the roof..."

I was actually a bit uneasy about it because he seemed to mention it and then quickly change the topic...

I don't remember hearing that UNMC's step 1 scores were through the roof...just about every US allopathic school has an average score above the mean because the mean factors in osteopathic and foriegn educated people taking the USMLE's so to be honest I think most medical schools can claim to be above the mean...match list is the best predictor out there and its really hard for UNMC because it is a rural and general practice focused medical school so its never going to stack up against the research oriented institution that have less than 40% going into primary care. That said I think if you do well at UNMC you would have a lot of options available to you.

To all of you that are wondering about merit scholarships, here is the deal straight from Gigi. There is a set number of scholarships that goes out every year to every class, nothing (except maybe the out of state tuition waver) is automatically renewable. However, the same amount of scholarships are awarded each year (same amount of money available each year). So for example, if you are consistently in the 75 percentile of the class, you will keep getting the same scholarship, but chances are you, and other people will fluctuate. Nothing set in stone, but still a lot of chances for an already reasonably priced school to help you out even more... I never would have thought UNMC would be giving a top 20 school a run for its money. But really, 80,000 debt or 200,000? Is that really a choice, just for a name?

Great info, thanks for checking up on that!

I still can't believe I won't be going here, wtf was I thinking...

Hey all,
I know that Creighton is still interviewing.... I was just wondering if any of you had a late interview. I have an interview at Creighton this friday 3/31. I am not sure why so late. My application was complete a LONG time ago. Guess I just kept losing out on the application review lottery. Also, do you think that the people that are interviewing now are simplying interviewing to be on the wait list? I don't... I guess another waitlist is in my future. Waiting sucks.....

Waiting does suck but dont give up. Just keep updating what you've been doing and why Creighton or ______ school is your choice.

DRLaura said:
Hey all,
I know that Creighton is still interviewing.... I was just wondering if any of you had a late interview. I have an interview at Creighton this friday 3/31. I am not sure why so late. My application was complete a LONG time ago. Guess I just kept losing out on the application review lottery. Also, do you think that the people that are interviewing now are simplying interviewing to be on the wait list? I don't... I guess another waitlist is in my future. Waiting sucks.....

DRLaura said:
Hey all,

the funny thing is that I took a picture of the interview sign on that day. And no, I was not interviewing.

file.bin

Anybody heard anything recently from either school? I'm still waiting....... and waiting..... and waiting... and well you get the picture....

gdbaby said:
Creighton acceptance today!!! Emailed the office to get a status update on when decision letters would be sent out and they told me I was accepted and would have a letter sent out tomorrow!

Just out of curiousity.... How long did you wait until you emailed them for a status update? I interviewed with Creighton on 3/31. They said that it would be 3 weeks until we heard anything (with the holiday in there and all). Well... 3 weeks was this past friday and still nothing. So those of you who have interviewed at Creighton, did you hear from them right about the time they said they would?? I am just being impatient I guess.... I forsee more waiting in my future................

To those of you on the UNMC alternate list, after you sent in a letter stating that you wanted to be an alternate, did you ever get anything from UNMC confirming that they had received this? I was just thinking about it today and I remembered that I never heard from them after I sent in my letter and it made me a bit nervous thinking that maybe they didn't get it and now I had no chance or something like that.... ok so i freaked out a bit... but this waiting is killing me... any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!

DRLaura said:
To those of you on the UNMC alternate list, after you sent in a letter stating that you wanted to be an alternate, did you ever get anything from UNMC confirming that they had received this? I was just thinking about it today and I remembered that I never heard from them after I sent in my letter and it made me a bit nervous thinking that maybe they didn't get it and now I had no chance or something like that.... ok so i freaked out a bit... but this waiting is killing me... any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I don't remember getting anything back. On the upside, you should hopefully be finding out soon. (I was in the 2nd quartile and found out right around this time last year)

DRLaura said:
Just out of curiousity.... How long did you wait until you emailed them for a status update? I interviewed with Creighton on 3/31. They said that it would be 3 weeks until we heard anything (with the holiday in there and all). Well... 3 weeks was this past friday and still nothing. So those of you who have interviewed at Creighton, did you hear from them right about the time they said they would?? I am just being impatient I guess.... I forsee more waiting in my future................

DRLaura...have you heard anything back yet? I remember hearing all about how quick Creighton is and how you hear back within 3 weeks...well, after 5 weeks I was starting to get pretty stressed out and nervous, but the letter finally came. I interviewed on 2/3 and received my acceptance on 3/6, so hopefully you will be hearing some good news soon! Good luck!

Well people I was just sitting here waiting on the waiting list.... its the name of the list. There's no way of not waiting...... but anyway.... I was just wondering if any of you were planning on giving up your positions at either UNMC or Creighton. I would really appreciate that.... Come on people! Give me a chance here!!! :D

DRLaura said:
Well people I was just sitting here waiting on the waiting list.... its the name of the list. There's no way of not waiting...... but anyway.... I was just wondering if any of you were planning on giving up your positions at either UNMC or Creighton. I would really appreciate that.... Come on people! Give me a chance here!!! :D

I am just about to send my thanks but no thanks to Creighton... so that I can attend UNMC, actually. BTW, is there an official allo class thread for UNMC?

Still waiting here..... has anyone heard anything yet from either UNMC or Creighton? I hope something starts to happen soon... this waiting is getting old..... I just want to know already!!!

DRLaura said:
Still waiting here..... has anyone heard anything yet from either UNMC or Creighton? I hope something starts to happen soon... this waiting is getting old..... I just want to know already!!!

DRLaura, I agree that the waiting gets old! Hopefully, we won't have to be in the dark much longer. I talked to Jackie yesterday and she said they were in the 2nd quartile right now! Keep your fingers crossed for that phone call or letter. I know I am!!!!!

live2theedge said:
DRLaura, I agree that the waiting gets old! Hopefully, we won't have to be in the dark much longer. I talked to Jackie yesterday and she said they were in the 2nd quartile right now! Keep your fingers crossed for that phone call or letter. I know I am!!!!!

Thats great news!! I hope the movement continues!! I wish the mail man came at 3 am. Oh and I was just wondering if you knew how many people were in each quartile. By the way have you heard anything yet?

DRLaura said:
Thats great news!! I hope the movement continues!! I wish the mail man came at 3 am. Oh and I was just wondering if you knew how many people were in each quartile. By the way have you heard anything yet?

DRLaura,

I don't know how many people are in a quartile--the admissions office would not reveal that info when I asked them several weeks ago. But . . .

Did Gigi call you today? I just got off the phone with her and she said they are sending me an acceptance letter TODAY!!! WHOO HOO!!! :D :D I can't wait to move to Omaha.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, too!

live2theedge said:
DRLaura,

I don't know how many people are in a quartile--the admissions office would not reveal that info when I asked them several weeks ago. But . . .

Did Gigi call you today? I just got off the phone with her and she said they are sending me an acceptance letter TODAY!!! WHOO HOO!!! :D :D I can't wait to move to Omaha.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, too!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I haven't heard anything yet. I think I got on the alternate list a little bit later than you did. So I think I have a little bit longer to wait. I would love to hear something soon. I am getting excited!! I hope I didn't get my hopes up for nothing....

The Nebraska waitlist is still moving. :D :D :D I just found out today!! I got in at UNMC!! I am soooooo excited!! Time to celebrate!!

I got a call today from Creighton. They offered me a position. Now I have to choose between Creighton and UNMC. Anyone have any opinions about which one to choose?

UNMC

Good program, good price.

ihateresearch said:

Ok.... leave the money out of it... $80,000 more won't matter in the grand scheme of things..... I am only trying to compare curriculum... atmosphere... facilities... quality of school.... things other than money...

I chose Creighton over UNMC for many of the reasons you listed.

As far as curriculum goes, each program has its weak and strong points, and overall, the quality of education you will receive is the same. If you are interested in research, UNMC has more to offer. If you are interested in OB/GYN, Creighton is the better school.

My impression of UNMC was that the student body lacks continuity and many of the students maintain the same social groups they formed at UNL (the source of the majority of the matriculating class). Creighton's medical students do a lot of volunteer work as a group, and know their upper and lower classmates well. The environment seemed less competitive and more unified.

If I remember correctly, the facilities at Creighton are about the same as UNMC except the former has wireless access in the main lecture hall, and the latter has state of the art anatomy labs. The "equality" will change a bit once the new medical school building is completed at UNMC (in two years?).

All of this is just based on my impression and somewhat shaky memory of my interviews. I personally put a lot of stock in training with people from a more diverse background.

IMO, you can't go wrong with either school. Good luck with your decision! :)

UNMC has wireless in the lecture halls. There are also plenty of opportunities to volunteer, especially during second year when the class is the primary group in charge of the three clinics, Sharing, Goodlife, and Respect.

There are a lot of preformed groups because it is a state school, but that doesn't mean that the people in the class who didn't go to UNL are walking around without any friends. The class gets fiarly friendly in the first core because of living anatomy.

Another thing for you to consider is that UNMC is on the block system, which means one class at a time. Some people really like this approach and some don't.

Well, the decision has been made. Someone will be getting a chance to go to UNMC. I chose Creighton and am very excited for everything to begin. It was a hard decision to make but in the end I think I made the right decison for myself. By the way just out of curiosity, does any one know where they are on the UNMC waitlist? I have a friend who would love a place there....