Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa, or Washington...How would you rank them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hermey_12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you in dental school, how would you rank these school? Also, if any of you attend any of these schools, what can you tell me about them?

My thoughts...

1. Washington
2. Nebraska
3. Iowa
4. Colorado

Members don't see this ad.

hermey_12 said:
For those of you in dental school, how would you rank these school? Also, if any of you attend any of these schools, what can you tell me about them?

My thoughts...

1. Washington
2. Nebraska
3. Iowa
4. Colorado

Washington is by far the best. They are usually number 1 or 2 in the country on part II boards, which is more indicative then part I. Also, they usually are in the top five for highest entering GPA and DAT scores. If you want to specialize it will be more competitive to be in the golden 10%. It's a very demanding school but it will pay great dividends.

OMFS2B said:
Washington is by far the best. They are usually number 1 or 2 in the country on part II boards, which is more indicative then part I. Also, they usually are in the top five for highest entering GPA and DAT scores. If you want to specialize it will be more competitive to be in the golden 10%. It's a very demanding school but it will pay great dividends.

I've never figured out how one can say that because a school's students get good grades on a didactic exam (i.e. part 1 or part 2) makes it a good dental school that graduates better dentists, but that's just me.

Probably the reason they're "top 5" in GPA and DAT scores is just because of the fact it's out west half of the class is probably your typical 4.0 GPA 22-23 DAT LDS kid from BYU, Utah State, Utah, Weber State, BYU-Idaho, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I've heard good things about Washington, but I just don't believe test scores are indicative of the quality of the dentists they train. Yes I'm from Iowa, but I don't even know our scores, nor do I care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I've heard that Iowa and Nebraska have great classrooms, I've heard from friends there that sometimes they don't get enough traffic throught their clinic, so filling requirements can be tough sometimes. I'd think that Colorado would have more traffic through their clinic, so I might place that school a little higher.

Seattle is the coolest city in our nation, in my opinion. It has limitless things to do outdoors and indoors for single or family going persons. Prices are still reasonable. That, plus the fact that the University of Washington is a serious contender in almost every aspect of academia, would have me saying UW for the top spot.

Being from the Pacific Northwest, Id say both Seattle and UW are pretty good best....not too mention good college ball

Maxillicious said:
Being from the Pacific Northwest, Id say both Seattle and UW are pretty good best....not too mention good college ball

I assume you are not referring to UW football.

Having spent the last 3.5 years at Nebraska, I can only recommend what I know. The class size of 45, small city, great football ;), and a very strong program are all things we have going for ourselves. Nebraska usually ranks in top ten part I scores and usually has the highest entering GPA. Everyone in my class that has applied for a post-grad program has been accepted (15 people so far). Someone mentioned the lack of patients, but I am usually booked out 2 months and only have a couple openings for January left. Everyone is very busy in the clinics. As far as cases, we do not have a prosthodontics grad program so everything is taken care of by pre-docs. When I graduate, I will have 10+ implants (one case 4 implants #6-11), 25+ crowns, 20+ units removable, as many endos that I want, knee deep in perio, and all the surgery I care for, 2 years treating ortho patients (plus 3 ortho classes and a lab). The only problem I see is not having enough time to do all that I want before I graduate. Personally, I know nothing about Colorado or Washington, but I do know that Iowa and Nebraska are very strong. I think it would be a very bad decision not to choose Nebraska. Choosing a dental school should be based on where you feel comfortable and what you want out of a program. I dont think high scores should have anything to do with which program I would have chosen. Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions.

By the way, having just taken part II boards I realized they mean nothing. That was the worst test that I have ever taken. That test measured nothing of what I know about dentistry. Terrible indicator of dental knowledge.

hermey_12 said:

My thoughts...

1. Washington
2. Nebraska
3. Iowa
4. Colorado

So Hermey, which way are you leaning now?