Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa, or Washington...How would you rank them?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by hermey_12, Dec 10, 2005.

1. hermey_12

hermey_12 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    For those of you in dental school, how would you rank these school? Also, if any of you attend any of these schools, what can you tell me about them?

My thoughts...

1. Washington
    2. Nebraska
    3. Iowa
    4. Colorado

2. OMFS2B

OMFS2B Member
    5+ Year Member

3. bitecys

bitecys Go Hawks!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've never figured out how one can say that because a school's students get good grades on a didactic exam (i.e. part 1 or part 2) makes it a good dental school that graduates better dentists, but that's just me.

Probably the reason they're "top 5" in GPA and DAT scores is just because of the fact it's out west half of the class is probably your typical 4.0 GPA 22-23 DAT LDS kid from BYU, Utah State, Utah, Weber State, BYU-Idaho, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I've heard good things about Washington, but I just don't believe test scores are indicative of the quality of the dentists they train. Yes I'm from Iowa, but I don't even know our scores, nor do I care.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. msf41

msf41 AADSAS = rip off
    7+ Year Member

Although I've heard that Iowa and Nebraska have great classrooms, I've heard from friends there that sometimes they don't get enough traffic throught their clinic, so filling requirements can be tough sometimes. I'd think that Colorado would have more traffic through their clinic, so I might place that school a little higher.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Yellow Snow

Yellow Snow Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Seattle is the coolest city in our nation, in my opinion. It has limitless things to do outdoors and indoors for single or family going persons. Prices are still reasonable. That, plus the fact that the University of Washington is a serious contender in almost every aspect of academia, would have me saying UW for the top spot.

6. Maxillicious

Maxillicious The Apprentice
    5+ Year Member

Being from the Pacific Northwest, Id say both Seattle and UW are pretty good best....not too mention good college ball

7. Maxillicious

Maxillicious The Apprentice
    5+ Year Member

*bets*

8. kato999

kato999 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I assume you are not referring to UW football.

9. huskerchild

huskerchild Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Having spent the last 3.5 years at Nebraska, I can only recommend what I know. The class size of 45, small city, great football ;), and a very strong program are all things we have going for ourselves. Nebraska usually ranks in top ten part I scores and usually has the highest entering GPA. Everyone in my class that has applied for a post-grad program has been accepted (15 people so far). Someone mentioned the lack of patients, but I am usually booked out 2 months and only have a couple openings for January left. Everyone is very busy in the clinics. As far as cases, we do not have a prosthodontics grad program so everything is taken care of by pre-docs. When I graduate, I will have 10+ implants (one case 4 implants #6-11), 25+ crowns, 20+ units removable, as many endos that I want, knee deep in perio, and all the surgery I care for, 2 years treating ortho patients (plus 3 ortho classes and a lab). The only problem I see is not having enough time to do all that I want before I graduate. Personally, I know nothing about Colorado or Washington, but I do know that Iowa and Nebraska are very strong. I think it would be a very bad decision not to choose Nebraska. Choosing a dental school should be based on where you feel comfortable and what you want out of a program. I dont think high scores should have anything to do with which program I would have chosen. Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions.

10. huskerchild

huskerchild Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

By the way, having just taken part II boards I realized they mean nothing. That was the worst test that I have ever taken. That test measured nothing of what I know about dentistry. Terrible indicator of dental knowledge.

11. bpenly

bpenly Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

So Hermey, which way are you leaning now?