Nebraska Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LJoo83

learning...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
any of you in here? I know NE_Cornhusker is at UNL, but what about other UNO/UNL/UNK/CU students lurking around?

I'm currently at UNO finishing up my second year.

Members don't see this ad.

I am at Creighton. Graduating in May.

hey trub-where are you attending school next year? cu, unmc, or out of state?

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated in May 03 from UNL. I'll hopefully be going to UNMC this year--I'm on the 1st tier of the waitlist with guaranteed admission next year (if not this year).

hey allie-good to hear from you. the unmc library is gorgeous...i love studying there because the atmosphere at the med school is vastly different than the atmosphere at my undergrad.

I'm from Nebraska, but in the mid-Atlantic, returning back 'home' this summer. I'm in allie's shoes...

I'm a freshman at Creighton. 7 years to go.....

I'm a current 1st year at Creighton. I'm not originally from NE, but I'm going to be living here for 3 more years.

If you haven't heard, Creighton is pumping HUGE amounts of money into renevations and additions to Criss (the medical school building). The dean said the entire project will cost roughly 35 million and should be completed by late August or early September. The only current downfall is hearing the construction during lectures and tests...

From Nebraska, but on the w-coast. Coming home hopefully for August either to UNMC (4th Q) or CU.

I know I have asked this before, but it just does not leave my mind. HOW MUCH DO THOSE WAITLISTS MOVE (CU, UNMC).

Regarding UNMC, what have you guys heard concerning the grading system (standard deviation)?

Originally posted by subscapularis
I know I have asked this before, but it just does not leave my mind. HOW MUCH DO THOSE WAITLISTS MOVE (CU, UNMC).

Regarding UNMC, what have you guys heard concerning the grading system (standard deviation)?

UNMCs wiatlist does move and rumors have it two years ago that they went through the ENTIRE waitlist. First and Second tier are usually in, third and fourth tier are always questionable.

As for grading. I know if you are -2SD below the mean you fail. +2 SD you get high honors or jsut honors, and I can't remember the others.

Hey, I'm a senior at Creighton and originally from Nebraska. I'm on waitlists at both Creighton and UNMC (3rd Q). I'm actually very perplexed about this. I know last year people got into UNMC with way lower MCAT's/GPA's than me, and I know this year of a girl who got in with at 22 MCAT...yikes! Also, two years ago 95% of the waitlist got in, and last year they went through the whole waitlist and still didn't fill the class. Is this year that much more competitive? I don't mean to sound bitter, but does anyone have any perspective on the situation? I would be happy to divulge stats if you guys would as well. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
"Crazygal" I PM'd you and sent you some stuff.
Keep this thread going Nebraska.

Hey Subscapularis,

Thanks for replying. I sent you a PM too!

Originally posted by crazygal
Hey Subscapularis,

Thanks for replying. I sent you a PM too!

Secrets don't make friends...

Whoever asked originally, I am 95% sure I am going to be at UNMC. I turned down spots at Baylor, Northwestern, and Creighton already. I got alternate listed at Duke though. If I would hear from them, I may reconsider. Otherwise, I will be at the good ol' UNMC.

As for the comment that this year is very competitive. I can't give you a sure fire answer. However, I know some student who are planning on going to UNMC and from a strictly numbers standpoint, they are very strong. How the class as a whole is, I don't know. But I know at least six people who have 32+ MCAT and 3.8+ GPA. Hope that helps.

Ok X Canadian, I PMed you too :)

Thanks for the response Trudub. I'm perplexed about the whole UNMC deal. I have a very high GPA and better than average MCAT for UNMC and good everything else. Hopefully, the waitlist moves fast :)

Anyways, congrats on all of your acceptances, and cross your fingers that I'll see you next fall :)

yikes-3.8 gpa and 32 mcat? i guess i always took unmc for granted and didn't realize it would have high standards because it's a state school.

It sounds to me like the averages for numbers like MCAT and GPA are rising each year at UNMC and I think you can see it in their match lists. In my opinions, there match lists have got increasingly better over the last 4 years or so. So, I do think that UNMC is on the up and up. As far as primary care goes, it is a great school. With the new Durham Research Center I think they are trying to make a committment to improve the research side of things too. So, UNMC on the whole is on the up and up I think. As far as taking it for granted, I think you used to be able to do that, but not so anymore. Don't get me wrong the averages are not going to be anywhere near 32 or 3.8 I am sure. But just the simple fact that I can think of six people alone that I know that are at that standard seems to say you can't take UNMC for granted.

Crazy gal, I would be curious what your numbers and EC's look like. PM me if you are willing to share.

Originally posted by LJoo83
yikes-3.8 gpa and 32 mcat? i guess i always took unmc for granted and didn't realize it would have high standards because it's a state school.

I don't give a rats behind about rankings, but just to let you know Nebraska was ranked 22nd in Primary Care in the US News Rankings., and this year it is 20th.

In '02 (according to US News), the average MCAT was 9.6/section and the average GPA was a 3.70.

crazy I PMed you. Don't get too upset cuz it's probably not what you want to hear, but you asked for my advice, and I'm not going to sugarcoat it (but also realize I have no role on the admissions committee-so what do I know?).

Since UNMC went through their entire waitlist last year, do ya'll know if they increased their waitlist this year? Also, how many ppl are in each quartile?

Originally posted by lady bug
Since UNMC went through their entire waitlist last year, do ya'll know if they increased their waitlist this year? Also, how many ppl are in each quartile?

I'm sure if you called you could find out.

I have yet to hear a word from Creighton...

Creighton is done interviewing, so if you haven't heard from them by now, put them in your rejection column.

trudub said:
It sounds to me like the averages for numbers like MCAT and GPA are rising each year at UNMC and I think you can see it in their match lists. .

trub, please explain to me the correlation on how the averages for the school is going to affect the match lists?

and...what is a match list? how does the process work?

Match lists are where medical students get matched to for their residencies. They have had students getting into great residencies because the caliber of the students at UNMC is increasing I think. They are not directly correlated but I think the MCAT numbers and Match List results can be an indicator of the caliber of students at a particular school.

the reason why those who go into UNMC with low MCAT's score was probably because because they high GPA's among other things.

wander said:
the reason why those who go into UNMC with low MCAT's score was probably because because they high GPA's among other things.

i'm pretty sure i know who this is and if i remember right she had 3.8-3.9 and couple years experience as an er volunteer.

I agree with trudub, UNMC is upcoming the new research center is awesome, we will actually have class there (If I get in from the 4th Q). Before two-three years ago you where able yo cruise in to UNMC with a 27ish and a 3.6ish and some volunteeringISH. For the class of 2006 I think the average GPA was 3.6 and MCAT 27. Actually last year accroding to admin staff they had an average of 30 MCAT and a 3.7 GPA. A student told me that this year is one of the most competetive years ever and their numbers will only be higher.
But I have heard so many stories of 22, 23 (MCAT) and 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 GPA getting in. The lady at Kaplan in Omaha told me that a guy with a 2.8 got in but with a 33 MCAT. I do not know if these are Urban legends anyway.
With CU I do not have too much info but usually getting into CU is harder then UNMC because you are competing with alot more people and you are not given an automatic interview if you are a NU resident. UNMC usually gets better residencies than CU. It is also a lot CHEAPER basic tution is $34000 roughly and UNMC is $15000. If I am wrong please feel free to correct me on anything in this message. This is the info I have been told and if it is false I would love to know what the real deal is. Keep this thread going!!!

Which one is better (UNMC, CU) Well both are medical schools in the U.S and that is all I am looking for............ ;)

Hey, Subscapularis I think you have it about right. Are you on the waitlist at Creighton too? I know they have a lot of movement. Best of luck to ya!

Crazygal I PM'ed you, and yes w-list on both, alltogether 3 w-lists 0 acceptances

I could give y'all stats that UNMC considered "cutoffs" although there is a little leeway depending on your application. You can't quote me on it, since I don't work for UNMC adcomms, but what I have been told by staff.

Good luck for those of us still waiting. May can't come soon enough.

I would add one piece to the talk about the competitiveness of CU v UNMC. CU gets a lot more applicants (about 5x) and thus at face value it would seem it would be a lot tougher to get into CU. However, I think it depends on your situation. For out of staters, I think it is much tougher to get into UNMC than CU. In addition, CU has something called the "Creighton preference." This means they give preference to their undergraduate students who are applying to their medical school. With the Creighton preference a lot of Creighton undergrads become Creighton M1's. For Creighton undergrads, it is a lot easier to get into CU than it is to get into UNMC. Overall, I would say it is probably easier for in-staters to get into UNMC but not by much.

I am going to be at UNMC (about 99% sure) so I will make the argument that UNMC is a better school overall. But, I will make the disclaimer that a school has to fit you personally. What one person likes, another may not. So, it is hard to compare the two objectively. I would agree though that lately UNMC has produced what in my opinion are better Match Lists and UNMC seems to be more on the up and up while Creighton is just holding steady.

If anyone is interested go to www.mdapplicants.com
You will be able to see what scores you need to get into either CU, UNMC or anyother school.

trudub, UNMC really had an impressive match list this year!! :thumbup:

subscapularis said:
If anyone is interested go to www.mdapplicants.com
You will be able to see what scores you need to get into either CU, UNMC or anyother school.

trudub, UNMC really had an impressive match list this year!! :thumbup:

Yes mdapplicants.com a place for gunners who need an ego boost.

Hey fellow UNMC and Creighton applicants!

I also ended up getting waitlisted at Creighton and UNMC. So I guess I'm probably freaking out here a tad. :scared:

As far as Creighton is concerned, I've heard practically everyone at Creighton who interviewed and who was not given an automatic acceptance is waitlisted. Dr. Nipper told me the same thing, that very few rejections after the interviews are handed out. The logic behind this is apparently due to the fact that 87% of all Creighton applicants get accepted into another school. So they like to have a large pool of alternates to pick from (which is subsequently why their waitlist moves so well). Has anyone here heard something similar?

And as far as UNMC is concerned, I got waitlisted on the first quartile with an automatic deferrment for next year if I don't matriculate by August 16. Does anyone here know how UNMC's waitlist operates? Can you be shifted from the first quartile to another for some obscure reason? I've heard that although you may be within a certain quartile of their waitlist, your ranking within that quartile is not set in stone.

Congrats to those who already are in and good luck to all and everyone on the waitlists!

martianMIKE said:
As far as Creighton is concerned, I've heard practically everyone at Creighton who interviewed and who was not given an automatic acceptance is waitlisted. Dr. Nipper told me the same thing, that very few rejections after the interviews are handed out. The logic behind this is apparently due to the fact that 87% of all Creighton applicants get accepted into another school. So they like to have a large pool of alternates to pick from (which is subsequently why their waitlist moves so well). Has anyone here heard something similar?

That's exactly what I heard too.

I'm also on the waiting list at CU and UNMC (3rd Quartile). I've also heard stories about people with less competitive numbers being accepted. All my information is in my mdapplicant profile which is linked below. I don't know what to say except let's hope that there is a lot of alternate list movement. :) I received my BS from Creighton also... you'd think that would count for something. Anyway, good luck to us all.

Xcanadianragwee, your pm box is full! I'm trying to pm you.

I am pleased to see that there is a thread concerning NU medical schools. (UNMC, and CU). I am currently at UNMC, and yes it is true that we have a new building but that is about all we have. The rest here is poor. If you want an accurate and fair picture of UNMC then keep on reading. This place is cut-throat. There is strong competition among students and very little camaraderie. After the first year everyone is in their groups/cliques and no real communication among groups and that is due of the grading system. This follows well through your clinical years.
On several occasions just to pass an exam you needed 80%. For undergrad this would be a walk in the park, but when slides and pages are removed from the library by other students it becomes difficult to remain competitive. The interaction with professors is close to non-existent. Of course, during the interview process, we tell you how easily it is to meet with profs. and how they always have time for their medical students. Well, half the time we didn't even know the name of our Profs. I constantly hear and see that my friends at other medical schools (Northwestern, NYMC, Ohio state, SLU) how great their class is, especially the teamwork among students and the approachability towards the profs and clinicians. I had the chance to attend other schools, I choose UNMC because of ONE reason, and that was money. UNMC is fairly cheap, I take out roughly $30000 a year in loans and that covers almost everything. If I had gone to another medical school, my loans would be more, roughly $10000-15000, however it would be worth it. Being a third year I have also seen the clinical setting at UNMC. Many of my rotations I decided to complete elsewhere, the reason for such action is that some of the rotations are poorly organized and that many of the Physicians DO NOT take the time to educate and help the students in the clinical setting. (This is not the Docs. Fault, it is the setup of the rotations and the sub-par clinical education and its directors). I visited medical schools on both coasts and their way of treating students and educating them was top notch and proved how UNMC practically neglects its students. These are harsh words, but it is the reality. When returning I had learned far more than any other student for the same rotation. It was a pleasure to share this knowledge with my fellow students at UNMC, however the word SHARING at UNMC is fictional. For anyone wanting to go to medical school make sure you know where you are going, find out not from websites, and recruiters but from us, students who know the truth. I am more then happy to answer any questions concerning med-school, classes, gpas, mcats and the whole jazz!
Concerning GPAs and MCATs, means crap in medical school. One of our top students had below the average on the MCAT and got one of the higher USMLE step one scores.

Railway said:
For undergrad this would be a walk in the park, but when slides and pages are removed from the library by other students it becomes difficult to remain competitive.

Welcome to the world of pre-med and med son...

thanks for the honest insight, railway. i do like unmc's new library, though..very pretty. but i've always wondered why it isn't 24 hours?

Railway said:
I am pleased to see that there is a thread concerning NU medical schools. (UNMC, and CU). I am currently at UNMC, and yes it is true that we have a new building but that is about all we have. The rest here is poor. If you want an accurate and fair picture of UNMC then keep on reading. This place is cut-throat. There is strong competition among students and very little camaraderie. After the first year everyone is in their groups/cliques and no real communication among groups and that is due of the grading system. This follows well through your clinical years.
On several occasions just to pass an exam you needed 80%. For undergrad this would be a walk in the park, but when slides and pages are removed from the library by other students it becomes difficult to remain competitive. The interaction with professors is close to non-existent. Of course, during the interview process, we tell you how easily it is to meet with profs. and how they always have time for their medical students. Well, half the time we didn't even know the name of our Profs. I constantly hear and see that my friends at other medical schools (Northwestern, NYMC, Ohio state, SLU) how great their class is, especially the teamwork among students and the approachability towards the profs and clinicians. I had the chance to attend other schools, I choose UNMC because of ONE reason, and that was money. UNMC is fairly cheap, I take out roughly $30000 a year in loans and that covers almost everything. If I had gone to another medical school, my loans would be more, roughly $10000-15000, however it would be worth it. Being a third year I have also seen the clinical setting at UNMC. Many of my rotations I decided to complete elsewhere, the reason for such action is that some of the rotations are poorly organized and that many of the Physicians DO NOT take the time to educate and help the students in the clinical setting. (This is not the Docs. Fault, it is the setup of the rotations and the sub-par clinical education and its directors). I visited medical schools on both coasts and their way of treating students and educating them was top notch and proved how UNMC practically neglects its students. These are harsh words, but it is the reality. When returning I had learned far more than any other student for the same rotation. It was a pleasure to share this knowledge with my fellow students at UNMC, however the word SHARING at UNMC is fictional. For anyone wanting to go to medical school make sure you know where you are going, find out not from websites, and recruiters but from us, students who know the truth. I am more then happy to answer any questions concerning med-school, classes, gpas, mcats and the whole jazz!
Concerning GPAs and MCATs, means crap in medical school. One of our top students had below the average on the MCAT and got one of the higher USMLE step one scores.

yes! definitely thanks for sharing your honest insight. i've been reading the posts in this thread for quite some time now while trying to decide where to attend med school. you've pretty much affirmed what i've known all along (what i've come to discover from conversations with current unmc students). although the end may be the same regardless of where i attend med school, the journey to that end varies significantly from place to place.

i guess i'm one of the lucky ones who does have a couple of acceptances at other schools and will most likely not be attending unmc come this fall. the school i will be attending will probably cost me twice as much. but the way i figure it, what's an additional $50,000 of debt. right?!? :oops:) i don't see myself being in it for the money, but on a physician's salary, it shouldn't be that huge of a problem...

I've heard the same things about UNMC from other med students but did not want to believe it. Now I'm sure that I will think about applying to UNMC over the summer. The funny thing is that the chemistry dept at UNO is the same way, not in terms of competition among students, but the availability of many professors. I feel like I taught organic to myself