Nebraska (UNMC - Creighton Applicants) 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOUNDMAN

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone lurking out there? I recently had my interview at UNMC. Good feelings about it and felt it went well. Very conversational. Any other information out there, when people have been notified etc. I think for UNMC the soonest is December 15th, from what I have gathered.

Members don't see this ad.

SOUNDMAN said:
Anyone lurking out there? I recently had my interview at UNMC. Good feelings about it and felt it went well. Very conversational. Any other information out there, when people have been notified etc. I think for UNMC the soonest is December 15th, from what I have gathered.

yep... the u. neb interview was pretty conversational. in fact, cu was that way also. hopefully i get word from one of them soon; i really liked both schools.

alumafly - Interesting I was born and raised in Fort Collins, but came to NE to go to school. Small interesting little world we live in. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
any other NE freaks out there?

one more here, originally from western nebraska, now in michigan finishing up undergrad. interviewed at both creighton and unmc and am waiting to hear back. hopefully creighton sticks to their 2 week promise
dave

Sparty Corn Fed said:
one more here, originally from western nebraska, now in michigan finishing up undergrad. interviewed at both creighton and unmc and am waiting to hear back. hopefully creighton sticks to their 2 week promise
dave

Dont count on it...........I interviewed on October 8 (over 5 weeks ago) and still no word, as many of the sdn'ers would agree with

cam22 said:
Dont count on it...........I interviewed on October 8 (over 5 weeks ago) and still no word, as many of the sdn'ers would agree with

im in the same boat as you cam...

i really don't know what to expect since one person from my interview day on 10/29 was accepted recently and i haven't heard anything :(

maybe that's a sign that I'll be getting the dreaded alternate-list-letter in the near future.

sux :p

alumafly said:
im in the same boat as you cam...

i really don't know what to expect since one person from my interview day on 10/29 was accepted recently and i haven't heard anything :(

maybe that's a sign that I'll be getting the dreaded alternate-list-letter in the near future.

sux :p

It is really disappointing huh? i guess since they have just passed over me and moved on to applicants that came after me i can be expecting a waitlist as well..........i really liked the school, which is why it is even that much harder to take. i still dont understand however why they would not tell people as they interviewed instead of skipping around...........adios to creighton :(

Creighton has sent out letters to people waitlisted already.. and the reason why it has taken so long for us who interviewed early is because Dr. Nipper has been out of town.

They should be speedier from now on.. Creighton is actually a pretty fast school.

btw you can also call them they are very friendly in their admissions office.

Megalofyia said:
Creighton has sent out letters to people waitlisted already.. and the reason why it has taken so long for us who interviewed early is because Dr. Nipper has been out of town.

They should be speedier from now on.. Creighton is actually a pretty fast school.

hey mega...

do you when they sent out the waitlist letters??

i'm just dying to get mine ;)

I don't live in Nebraska anymore, I'm in Oklahoma now, but was born in Lincoln and also lived in Broken Bow for a few years. I love Nebraska and miss it dearly :) My dads family is still up there (Young's). Anyways, kinda rambling, but I love Nebraska and wanted to wish you all the best of luck!!

alumafly said:
hey mega...

do you when they sent out the waitlist letters??

i'm just dying to get mine ;)
Mine was sent the same day they sent acceptance letters.. so last Friday what ever day that was.. the 10th?

Members don't see this ad :)
[IF anyone does hear from Creighton....please keep us updated. :)

cam22 said:

Lads,
Just an update on the CU admissions front...Dr. Nipper and his adcom cohorts will not be meeting again before Thanksgiving, so the word on the street is to look for letters in mid to early December. This applies to you if your application has been complete for awhile (October-->Present) but you have yet to hear back. The two-week response post-interview in other words was an empty promise...stay in school suckaz....

Siempre,
WhiteCoatJimmy

cam22 said:

I interviewed on 10/29 and got my acceptance dated 11/10. I think I got mine so early because I interviewed with the Director of Admissions and I guess he liked me. He was really nice and a great interviewer.

No news is good news at least. Good luck everyone and have a great Thanksgiving!!

Hey all, I just recieved a decision from creighton today, dated 11/18. unfortunately for me its an alternate list letter. Just thought i'd let you all know so that they did meet last week and to keep your eyes open

dave

Any news on Nebraska (UNMC)?
Has anyone rec'd any decisions?

The UNMC website notes that the earliest decisions (not including early admissions) will be made in December. I think the ADCOM meets for the first time on Dec. 15th.

What were your impressions of the school based on interview day? When I interviewed, all the students looked stressed out and not very happy. Maybe it was a big exam day...

elliott said:
The UNMC website notes that the earliest decisions (not including early admissions) will be made in December. I think the ADCOM meets for the first time on Dec. 15th.

What were your impressions of the school based on interview day? When I interviewed, all the students looked stressed out and not very happy. Maybe it was a big exam day...

Quite the contrary when I interviewed. The students that gave us the tour were a little TOO relaxed and happy. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that they were 4th yrs.
One 1st yr student came in to speak with us and he had a big exam the next day. Even he didn't seem unhappy or stressed. I liked the school and would love to attend. How about you?

Sparty Corn Fed said:
Hey all, I just recieved a decision from creighton today, dated 11/18. unfortunately for me its an alternate list letter. Just thought i'd let you all know so that they did meet last week and to keep your eyes open

dave

When did you interview?

Thanks

I also loved my interview at UNMC. I enjoyed the students very much. I was actually more disappointed in the applicants I interviewed with. I felt like I was in this giant pissing contest and I was going straight into the wind. I did not find very many friendly at all. Maybe it was just me, since I'm a bit older applicant. Decisions for UNMC aren't to be expected (atleast I believe so) until mid december as indicated. Then they meet fairly frequently after that as interviews continue to progress I assume. Good luck everyone, and let's keep us all updated.

reddyroo said:
When did you interview?

Thanks

I interviewed, 11/5. I thought it went well. Does anyone know anything about their alternate list movement? Thanks
dave

Sparty Corn Fed said:
I interviewed, 11/5. I thought it went well. Does anyone know anything about their alternate list movement? Thanks
dave
Ohhh daveeey...

Inhale a sweet sigh of relief my man. It is a well known fact in this neck o' the woods that the CU alternate list isn't nearly as dreadful as it sounds. There is a great deal of movement off of that list, and I have even heard the statistic that approximately 40-50% of their incoming class is usually from the alternate list. Anywhooo, keep your head up son...this might not have been the ideal way as you have to wait a bit longer, but I assure you that you have nothing to worry about lad... :thumbup:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all.
--The world according to Emmy D.

heart,
whitecoatjimmy

I appreciate your wise words mr. whitecoat. Those are indeed sweet sweet sounds to my ears. The only dreadful part of this is of course, that they don't generally start taking people off until late june or july (what i've gathered from other posts). Alas, I shall wait and see.

dave

whitecoatjimmy said:
Ohhh daveeey...

Inhale a sweet sigh of relief my man. It is a well known fact in this neck o' the woods that the CU alternate list isn't nearly as dreadful as it sounds. There is a great deal of movement off of that list, and I have even heard the statistic that approximately 40-50% of their incoming class is usually from the alternate list. Anywhooo, keep your head up son...this might not have been the ideal way as you have to wait a bit longer, but I assure you that you have nothing to worry about lad... :thumbup:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all.
--The world according to Emmy D.

heart,
whitecoatjimmy

anybody else hear from creighton?

i'm still gettin the silent treatment over here :(

alumafly said:
anybody else hear from creighton?

i'm still gettin the silent treatment over here :(

same here.......and i interveiwed so long ago (october 8). why are so many people finding out that interviewed so long after me????

I've been complete there for 2 months now and have heard nothing.

I wonder if the "no news is good news" adage applies here.

Unfortunately, I think not.

Hi-
I interview at UNMC on December 10th. Any advice? Thanks! :)

Good luck, just relax and have fun, (of course this is posted AFTER you've already interviewed). Obviously no news yet on UNMC, I would expect something hopefully next week unless anyone else has any other information.

hey everyone,

anyone have any data on out of state acceptances for UNMC? i got an interview from them a few months ago and im scheduled to interview soon...just wondering if they even take more than a handful of out of state residents?

also, how long is their turn-around time between interviewing and sending decisions out? (does their adcomm meet one, twice a month?)

thanks!

I think that Dr. Hill said that they start meeting around the 15th and meet every week until the class is filled.

chitown82 said:
hey everyone,

anyone have any data on out of state acceptances for UNMC? i got an interview from them a few months ago and im scheduled to interview soon...just wondering if they even take more than a handful of out of state residents?

also, how long is their turn-around time between interviewing and sending decisions out? (does their adcomm meet one, twice a month?)

thanks!

you can check out their website for the list on the demographics. It's very difficult for out of staters to get in. Perhaps around 10% of matriculants are from out of state, and many of them have in-state connections, lived here or what not. Good luck on the interview. Now where is that Dec. 15th when I need it?

SOUNDMAN said:
Good luck, just relax and have fun, (of course this is posted AFTER you've already interviewed). Obviously no news yet on UNMC, I would expect something hopefully next week unless anyone else has any other information.
My interview went well. To all those who still have to interview at UNMC-relax ;) It was very laid back-good luck to everyone! :luck:

Sugarizzy said:
My interview went well. To all those who still have to interview at UNMC-relax ;) It was very laid back-good luck to everyone! :luck:

Sugar, can you tell us about your interview? What the other applicants were like, the process etc?

Well it's the 15th and the UNMC adcom is allegedly meeting today to decide many of our fates. Hopefully good for all that are involved. Post here and keep us all informed on any new news. Good luck all.

All the other applicants I spoke with were all very friendly-I was pleasantly surprised. Dr. Hill gave a presentation from 10:30 to !!:00, and then the first "batch" of interviewees went off with their interviewers. The rest of us either went on a tour, or sat around chatting with some MS4's. I was in the last group to interview-was pretty nervous until I sat down with my interviewer. No tough ethical questions-it was pretty much a get-to-know you session. The interview ended, we had lunch, and left at 1:30 as the finaid people weren't there that day. Hope this helps-good luck!

SOUNDMAN said:
Well it's the 15th and the UNMC adcom is allegedly meeting today to decide many of our fates. Hopefully good for all that are involved. Post here and keep us all informed on any new news. Good luck all.
Does anyone actually have verification that the adcom did meet? Through the premed gossip mill, I also have heard that UNMC doesn't actually start meeting until the 22nd. In addition, does anyone know what UNMC requires as far as grade updates. This semester I took a Neurobiology course that was just brutal and I'd prefer for UNMC not to see that grade until after they make their decision if at all possible.

Good luck to everyone finishing up finals this week...See ya in the ER getting your stomach pumped friday night. I'll be the guy wearing the baby bonnet who has poo smeared all over me and that is screaming obscenities ;)

Anyone have the guts to call and find out? I got the 15th I think from the website. Let me see...nope not on the website. Perhaps in the interview packet material that they initially sent out. Perhaps it was there.

I don't have the guts to call, if someone wants to give me their name I'll do it ;)

Adcom did meet on Wednesday, December 15th, according to Jackie when I called her. So expect something soon hopefully.

For those applying at UNMC they met this past week. They will more than likely not meet again until January. You mroe than likely won't hear anything until January at the earliest. You will hear from them by March 15th (95% sure). If you haven't heard from them until March you aren't out of the running...trust me.

As for out of state applicants. If you got an interview, you're pretty much treated as an in-state resident (note I said pretty much NOT you are treated as an in-state resident). There are plenty of students who were out of state that are at UNMC, but like they say, the more connections you have to the state, the better.

hey everyone,

anyone know any good/cheap hotels to stay at near the nebraska med school? ive got my interview soon and i need to book a room. also, anyone know how far unmc is from the airport?
thanks!

Any Omaha hotel will be fine, especially considering you don't start until 10:30am.

Eppley Airfield is about a 15 minute drive away from UNMC, if you know the shortcuts...20 minutes if you don't.

shortcuts? Just head down farnam and make a left at some point??

John Deere Gree said:
Any Omaha hotel will be fine, especially considering you don't start until 10:30am.

Eppley Airfield is about a 15 minute drive away from UNMC, if you know the shortcuts...20 minutes if you don't.

hey there, thanks for the info. do you know of any hotels off hand that are cheap/close to the med school. im sure some hotels are closer than other :)

thanks!

chitown82 said:
hey everyone,

anyone know any good/cheap hotels to stay at near the nebraska med school? ive got my interview soon and i need to book a room. also, anyone know how far unmc is from the airport?
thanks!

if you're flying in and not renting a car (like I did), then Park Inn is a good place to stay as it has a free shuttle to and from the airport and to and from the medical school (this was for Creighton but I'm sure they service UNMC also). pretty convenient :thumbup:

chitown82 said:
hey there, thanks for the info. do you know of any hotels off hand that are cheap/close to the med school. im sure some hotels are closer than other :)

thanks!

Nope I'm not in the hotel industry...school is at 42 & Dodge St.

As for Farnam St. It's one way around school, and if you take it, I hope you are going to the airport and not the school.

Bumping this up for all the UNMC appliants. Any one have new info?

I don't think there is any, just learning my lesson in patience. I'm getting real good at it now. Good luck to all, maybe we'll hear something after the New Year.