Nebraska (UNMC - Creighton Applicants) 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DRLaura said:
For those of you on the Creighton waitlist, are you doing any thing like calling them or sending them letters or emails in attempts to get off of it?? Just curious if I should be doing any of that.....
No. I am not sure it would really help, maybe... From doing a search on Creighton and reading previous years discussion of the waitlist it sounds like many people do send in letters, though. And it seems like the waitlist doesn't even begin to move until June and July according to previous years posts. I don't know if sending in other letters is too much like brown-nosing, or if I am just lazy, or what, but I would be interested to hear what other people think? and if it actually helps?

Members don't see this ad.

DRLaura,
Doesn't hurt at all to send letters or call Dr. Nipper (on Thursdays) if you really want to attend Creighton.

Jetson

Jet915 said:
DRLaura,
Doesn't hurt at all to send letters or call Dr. Nipper (on Thursdays) if you really want to attend Creighton.

Jetson

Jetson,

What time did you get a hold of Dr. Nipper? I tried calling many times on Thursday but he was always busy.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Joey,
It was a couple of years ago but I remember calling Dr. Nipper sometime in the afternoon. I know he always sets a couple of hours on Thursday afternoon to talk to applicants on the phone or in person.

Jetson

Jet915 said:
Joey,
It was a couple of years ago but I remember calling Dr. Nipper sometime in the afternoon. I know he always sets a couple of hours on Thursday afternoon to talk to applicants on the phone or in person.

Jetson

I think Dr. Nipper's office hours start at 1:00 pm on Thursdays, but I can't remember for sure. I believe you can ask his secretary to make an appointment for a phone conversation during his office hours. He would probably like that best anyway, so he could have your file ready when he was talking to you.

chicadehuskers said:
I think Dr. Nipper's office hours start at 1:00 pm on Thursdays, but I can't remember for sure. I believe you can ask his secretary to make an appointment for a phone conversation during his office hours. He would probably like that best anyway, so he could have your file ready when he was talking to you.

I finally got a hold of Dr. Nipper, had a chat with him about admission. Thanks Chicadehuskers.

Joe

joeyzipp said:
I finally got a hold of Dr. Nipper, had a chat with him about admission. Thanks Chicadehuskers.

Joe

And.......?

PBMaxx said:
And.......?

And I just got some of my questions answered, not all. I just wanted to know how competitive I am comparing to others who are on the alternate list, for one. He would not answer how many students are on the alternate list now though.

His advise was to update anything you are doing right now that is worth mentioning to the admission.

That's it.

Hey all, any news from either Creighton or UNMC worth noting? I'm still on the waitlist at Creighton patiently waiting. Has anyone decided for sure they are going to be at Creighton or UNMC?
corn

I think May 15th will be the big day for the beginning of movement.

Sparty Corn Fed said:
Hey all, any news from either Creighton or UNMC worth noting? I'm still on the waitlist at Creighton patiently waiting. Has anyone decided for sure they are going to be at Creighton or UNMC?
corn

Yes...I've decided for sure...apparantly UNMC has not made up their minds about me yet though!!!:)

Just a little heads up on UNMC...

Right now I'm pretty sure they are waiting to see how many people need to repeat their first year. Classes end April 30, with a comprehensive exam May 11th. A couple of weeks after that, and UNMC will know.

What that means for you...the fewer people who need to redo first year, the better for you waitlisters. They might know soon after April 30th depending on how people perform on that test.

Keep your fingers crossed...

Good luck.

Hi guys, I'm an M1 just checking to see how the whole unmc process is going. I just wanted to clear a few things up so some of you can sleep better tonight :)

1. I was on the waitlist last year (q1), and I heard from UNMC like a May 16 or 17 or something...it was right after the 15th deadline.

2. We do have our comp on May 11, but the people that failed or aren't sure if they are coming back usually have til July or so to figure out if they're going to stick around (this was according to a repeater in my class this year who didn't make her decision til july 1). Most will probably know right away, though.

Good luck to everyone, and PM me with ?s!!

Members don't see this ad :)
alliemac said:
Hi guys, I'm an M1 just checking to see how the whole unmc process is going. I just wanted to clear a few things up so some of you can sleep better tonight :)

1. I was on the waitlist last year (q1), and I heard from UNMC like a May 16 or 17 or something...it was right after the 15th deadline.

2. We do have our comp on May 11, but the people that failed or aren't sure if they are coming back usually have til July or so to figure out if they're going to stick around (this was according to a repeater in my class this year who didn't make her decision til july 1). Most will probably know right away, though.

Good luck to everyone, and PM me with ?s!!

Not sure if you'll know the answer to this or not - but how far through the waitlist did UNMC move last year? (Im q2)

Thanks

UNOStudent01 said:
Not sure if you'll know the answer to this or not - but how far through the waitlist did UNMC move last year? (Im q2)

Thanks

From what I was told, last year they did not make it through the 2nd quartile according to Gigi. She did say that in the last five years, two of those years 2003, and one other they used nearly ALL of the alternates.

Soundman you are right...

Last year they didn't make it through the secound quartile. However last year was an anomoly as they usually always make it to third quartile and sometimes fourth.

Good Luck y'all.

UNMC Waitlister here...I received my accpetance around May 20th. (Honestly I'd be surprised to hear anything before mid-May concerning the waitlist).

nebrfan said:
Just wondering if anyone had heard anything yet from UNMC. Looking at threads from previous years (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=114421&page=1&pp=20 ) it looks like they typically move through the 1q before may 15th and through the 2nd towards the end of may. Here's to more waiting

I haven't heard anything yet (2q). It's about time to resurrect this thread though! Keep us posted everyone. Good luck!

Does anyone know how UNMC goes about notifying ppl when they are selected from the list?

I want to start meeting my future classmates. So, if you're sure you'll be matriculating at Creighton this fall, let me know! :thumbup:

nebrfan said:
Does anyone know how UNMC goes about notifying ppl when they are selected from the list?

I know several people who have received phone calls (the number comes up unavailable on your caller id), but I don't think it's considered "official" until you receive an acceptance package in the mail. This is just what I've heard, so if anyone has more accurate info, please share. I'm curious as well.

chicadehuskers said:
I know several people who have received phone calls (the number comes up unavailable on your caller id), but I don't think it's considered "official" until you receive an acceptance package in the mail. This is just what I've heard, so if anyone has more accurate info, please share. I'm curious as well.

UNMC they mail your acceptance, no phone call (they may call if it's late-July, early-August (last minute)).

To let y'all know, us M1'ers should recieve our comprehensive final grades back tomorrow (Tuesday). By then, the admissions office should have a fairly good idea on the maximum number of people who are in danger of retaking the year (although we were told no one gets held back solely on the final). In other words...you 1q people might hear from Adcom within the next week or so.

chicadehuskers said:

? sounds like an urban legend.

llort said:
? sounds like an urban legend.

:laugh: haha! It does kind of sound like an urban legend. I can, however, confirm that when either Gigi or Jackie has returned my phone call, it has come up unavailable on the caller ID. Maybe it's just our phone service here! :) I did just ask my friend whether he got a phone call or letter (he was 1q) and he said that he received a phone call on April 12th (he remembers because it was his birthday), and a package came in the mail several days later. That was 4 years ago though. Either way, I hope we all begin to hear something soon.

chicadehuskers said:
:laugh: haha! It does kind of sound like an urban legend. I can, however, confirm that when either Gigi or Jackie has returned my phone call, it has come up unavailable on the caller ID. Maybe it's just our phone service here! :) I did just ask my friend whether he got a phone call or letter (he was 1q) and he said that he received a phone call on April 12th (he remembers because it was his birthday), and a package came in the mail several days later. That was 4 years ago though. Either way, I hope we all begin to hear something soon.

Take it from a 1q waitlistee from last year. The Adcom DOES NOT call you. You will receive notification via snail mail.

John Deere Gree said:
Take it from a 1q waitlistee from last year. The Adcom DOES NOT call you. You will receive notification via snail mail.

Are we arguing about this?

I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but just because something didn't happen to you doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Thank you for sharing your information. I, and I'm sure many others, truly appreciate your input. But seriously, back off. You're not always right. Weren't you the one who just a few pages back in this same thread insisted that both 1q and 2q waitlisters get deferred admission for the following year? Sorry, I'm not trying to call you out, but I'm just trying to prove my point that no single person knows everything there is to know about any particular school. This is a post for everyone to share what they know, think they know, etc.

So, for some reason we've been restating the same facts over and over again: you are not officially accepted until you receive something in the mail saying you are. However, some people, under certain circumstances, have received phone calls informing them of their acceptance before they received anything in the mail. I seriously hope we're done with this topic now. Again thank you for your input. It's always appreciated...and I'm not being sarcastic.

chicadehuskers said:
You're not always right. Weren't you the one who just a few pages back in this same thread insisted that both 1q and 2q waitlisters get deferred admission for the following year? Sorry, I'm not trying to call you out, but I'm just trying to prove my point that no single person knows everything there is to know about any particular school. This is a post for everyone to share what they know, think they know, etc.

So I went and found my "waitlist" letter from last year. Sorry for the confusion. In first paragraph, it says that if I'm not offered a spot, then I'm automatically defered to next year. In the last paragraph it says I'm in the 1q, and that "In previous years, those in the first and second q's have received acceptance letters prior to matriculating." In my haste I assumed that meant both 1q and 2q were automatically deferred. Oops.

However, the "think they know" means let's spread rumors around. Of the waitlistees that I know none of us have received phone calls prior to an acceptance letter. I'm sure it does happen---but strongly belive it would be a last minute sort of deal.

chicadehuskers said:
So, for some reason we've been restating the same facts over and over again: you are not officially accepted until you receive something in the mail saying you are.

That goes without saying for any medical school...

Sorry for the mistakes. I'd rather present as much factual information as much as possible, rather than "I heard such and such crap" without any basis that plagues these boards (and I know I'm being hypocritcal when I state that). I apologize once again for misleading y'all earlier.

No I do not know everything about UNMC. Once I fully develop my God complex though, watch out!

Just got an acceptance letter today from UNMC - I was in the 2nd quartile. Looks like the list is moving faster this year. For those on the waitlist - hang in there - it'll be coming. Ok - i'm going to drink now :thumbup:

nebrfan said:
Just got an acceptance letter today from UNMC - I was in the 2nd quartile. Looks like the list is moving faster this year. For those on the waitlist - hang in there - it'll be coming. Ok - i'm going to drink now :thumbup:

Yayy!!! Congratulations. The waiting is over for you. Hopefully more of us will have good news soon as well.

Congrats nebrfan on the acceptance. Cool that they are into the second quartile already.

SOUNDMAN said:
Congrats nebrfan on the acceptance. Cool that they are into the second quartile already.

Thanks a lot soundman - like I said, it looks like the list is moving much faster this year - I hope to see all you guys in the fall

Found out another lucky soul got of the wiatlist at UNMC (2q) today.

i got accepted today (1q - outta state). i didnt reply to the letter saying we needed to confirm if we want to be on the alternate list, but they went ahead and accepted me anyway. i withdrew so hopefully someone else can get in. good luck.

Hello everyone! I received an acceptance letter on Friday (1q and out of state), however, I withdrew today. I hope someone gets good news soon. Good luck to everyone. :)

lis79 said:
Hello everyone! I received an acceptance letter on Friday (1q and out of state), however, I withdrew today. I hope someone gets good news soon. Good luck to everyone. :)

Man it sure would be nice to have an idea how many are in each quartile

SOUNDMAN said:
Man it sure would be nice to have an idea how many are in each quartile

what is this quartile thing and how do I find out which I'm in....I am on the waitlist at Creighton but to my knowledge they don't release where you are located on the waitlist.....

dentalguy said:
what is this quartile thing and how do I find out which I'm in....I am on the waitlist at Creighton but to my knowledge they don't release where you are located on the waitlist.....

yup you guys can ignore this post.....i did a search for creighton and I was inquiring about the dental school...my bad

Just an update, I found out that UNMC is still in the 1st quartile as of last week.

SOUNDMAN said:
Just an update, I found out that UNMC is still in the 1st quartile as of last week.

That's strange...I was listed in the 2nd quartile and got in a while ago...maybe they shuffle the list? Anyone know?

nebrfan said:
That's strange...I was listed in the 2nd quartile and got in a while ago...maybe they shuffle the list? Anyone know?

I thought it odd as well, when you said you were 2nd quartile. Doesn't really matter, you're in that's the important thing. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Jackie said today that they're currently in the 2q. She didn't say how long they've been sending acceptances to wait listers in the 2q, or how quickly the list was moving. But I thought you all would like to know. Hang in there.

This thread has been quiet for a little while - thought I'd bump it and see if anyone has new info

MD in 2009 said:
I want to start meeting my future classmates. So, if you're sure you'll be matriculating at Creighton this fall, let me know! :thumbup:

I would also like to start meeting my future Creighton classmates. Maybe we should start posting on the Creighton class of 2009 thread? Not that I don't love everyone, but this post was hard to find!

[email protected]

I just posted on the Creighton Waitlist thread as well, but nobody I know has heard any news of movement from either UNMC or Creighton since right before Memorial Day. It seems like they got off to a real quick start, but they must have done a good job of accepting people who actually chose to matriculate. They've barely even made it into the 2q this year at UNMC from what I can gather.

Anyone else hear anything?

I kind of feel like I'm having a conversation with myself since I posted twice in a row. I just got my acceptance letter to UNMC today. I was in the 2q of the wait list. So there's still a little movement on the list. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. Hopefully you'll get good news soon as well!

Great job chicadehuskers. Is this your only acceptance or what is your plan. Again Congrats!

Yes, it's my only acceptance. I only applied to two other places. Creighton and Iowa. I'm going to go to UNMC though...thank you, by the way.

chicadehuskers said:
I kind of feel like I'm having a conversation with myself since I posted twice in a row. I just got my acceptance letter to UNMC today. I was in the 2q of the wait list. So there's still a little movement on the list. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. Hopefully you'll get good news soon as well!

congrats chicade!

Well just an update for everyone, as I talked to Jackie today, more as a reapplicant though :( however she says they are currently in the third quartile of the waitlist. Atleast it's moved more this year than it did last year. Anybody still waiting for them?