Necessary to go above & beyond?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrStraggler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-science major, and after completing my premed requirements, I'm going to delve into my major, and don't plan on taking any other science courses. I'm still going to have a few upper level science courses under my belt (Anatomy & Physiology, Genetics, OChem, which are all 300's). But...for Junior year, I'll probably only take one science class total, and that will probably not be a lab science (Ecology & Evolution).

Will this look bad on my application? All my prereqs will be filled, plus a year and a half of math, but I fear that my lapse in science classes might make me look as lesser of an applicant.

Thoughts/advice appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Shouldn't make a difference at all. In fact, it might even be beneficial since you'll be different than the majority of science majors applying.

It won't make a difference in how your application is perceived. However, have you taken the MCAT yet? You want the information you learn from your sciences to be fresh on your mind so that preparing for it would be much easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you did well in your pre-reqs then yeah it shouldn't matter. Also, depends on when you apply and when you take the MCAT?

You're in that major for a reason, so enjoy it.

I don't think it should matter either. The less science classes you take may also influence how important your MCAT score is though because you haven't proven as much strength in the sciences through a high number of upper level science classes.

No. So long as you did well in your science classes and performed well on the MCAT, I don't think med schools will hold anything against you. In fact, I remember reading a statistic that said non-science majors were some of the better students in medical school. ;)

No. So long as you did well in your science classes and performed well on the MCAT, I don't think med schools will hold anything against you. In fact, I remember reading a statistic that said non-science majors were some of the better students in medical school. ;)

"A statistic" aside, medical schools regularly admit students who have majors that aren't in the sciences. Some even recruit them.

Doing well on your MCAT and the science courses you do take will be enough proof that you can handle work in the sciences.