Necessary to reapply for RTL to switch residency programs within the same state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fm12345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this - If I were to switch from my current residency program into another program (different speciality) that is in the same state, would it be necessary to reapply for my residency training license?

Also, if anyone has any experience with this kind of situation and wouldn't mind sharing how the process went in general, that info would be great too.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Each state has their own rules for training license and full license. Some states will automatically issue one without much paperwork if you are in an accredited training program. Others you will need to go through new paperwork despite staying in the same state. The GME in your new program will be able to tell you how things work.

Edited for clarification as OP is staying in the same state.

Last edited:
OP states in the title and post that there is no change of state.

Sorry meant to say new program; thanks for pointing that out I will edit for clarity. Each state has their own rules and some may require a reapplication for license with a change of programs even within the state. The new GME will be able to clarify for them.