Necessaties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you NEED a car in your first two years of medical school? I will be at NSUCOM. I have a car now but was thinking of selling it to help raise some money for school. Is that a bad idea? I know in third and fourth year (rotations) a car is very desireable but I'm not sure about the first two years. Does anyone have advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind that you have a preceptorship your first two years so you will need to drive to your preceptor's office.

If you can keep it, keep it. I imagine you will often feel the need to "get out" and it might be nice to be able to do so without much trouble.

See you there... ;-)

Gregory Gulick
http://www.osteopathic.com/gregory

I can't specifically speak for the Ft. Lauterdale/Miami area but for the most part public transportation is not as common here in Florida as it is in other states. I know most places in NY and CA you could live your whole life without ever having a car but I could not imagine that here. You also might want to consider if you would be better off financially to keep this car as opposed to trying to get another one in two years when you may not be able to afford it. Besides, you're gonna want to cruise to the beach every once and awhile since it's so close.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a car now but was thinking of selling it to help raise some money for school. Is that a bad idea?

Good question! I don't have car anymore... any med school students out there getting by without a car?

This might be easier if you go to a school in an urban environment with significant public transportation. But if you're at a school not in the middle of NY or Chicago you might find the distinct need for a vehicle for preceptorships, ECs, shopping, etc. Would be a bummer to have to walk 5 miles to the grocery store and then walk 5 miles back carrying groceries (including a gallon of milk).

In Florida, you'll need a car. Even if you could just use whatever public transportation is down there to get to school and back, I would think there would be various other school related events you'd have to go to off-site.

1998? Wow, someone went digging for this thread. I don't know about a car, but I'm sure a spell-checker would have come in handy for the OP....

1998? Wow, someone went digging for this thread. I don't know about a car, but I'm sure a spell-checker would have come in handy for the OP....

*sigh* Didn't even see that. That would require quite a bit of digging.
1993.gif

Wow, there's a whole lot of sighing going on in here... sorry, went searching for this topic and this is the only good thread I could find. And it wasn't really answered very thoroughly in '98. I suppose I could have just started another thread of my own asking the exact same thing. Unclear as to why that would be preferable, however.

BTW, 10 years of SDN! Nice. :hardy:

Wow, there's a whole lot of sighing going on in here... sorry, went searching for this topic and this is the only good thread I could find. And it wasn't really answered very thoroughly in '98. I suppose I could have just started another thread of my own asking the exact same thing. Unclear as to why that would be preferable, however.

BTW, 10 years of SDN! Nice. :hardy:

It's really not a problem. It's actually kind of funny how repeat threads are closed, but people using existing threads that are too old are shunned, even if the question is the same. :laugh: I actually think it's better to use existing threads, but 98 is a little old.

Ha! What's weird is that I didn't notice the date on the original post initially. One of the old posters name looked soooo familiar to me but I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized that he was a resident when I was a student and I was on IM service with him. He was a pre-med when he posted his response. How time flies!