NECO - Board Passing Rate and Academic Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you guys can tell me about NECO's acadmic program. I have friend who went there before and said that he didn't like the academic program (the first two years) when he was there. However, he did mentioned that the school has revamped its curriculum.

Also, does anyone know the passing rate for NECO?

How would you guys compare NECO's education program to ICO's?

Thanks!
optog

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you guys can tell me about NECO's acadmic program. I have friend who went there before and said that he didn't like the academic program (the first two years) when he was there. However, he did mentioned that the school has revamped its curriculum.

Thanks!
Paula

i dont know their exact pass rates, but I heard NECOs are high. However, when you do check, make sure they tell you their 1st pass rates, because all schools have high overall pass rates.

i tried checking what ICOs curriculum was like, but could not find it anywhere on their website. I know NECO has changed their curriculum to include more clinical experience--that is as far as I know. I was interested in ICO, but could not figure out how much clinical experience the students get, so as of now, I am a bit unsure about applying to ICO

i dont know their exact pass rates, but I heard NECOs are high. However, when you do check, make sure they tell you their 1st pass rates, because all schools have high overall pass rates.

i tried checking what ICOs curriculum was like, but could not find it anywhere on their website. I know NECO has changed their curriculum to include more clinical experience--that is as far as I know. I was interested in ICO, but could not figure out how much clinical experience the students get, so as of now, I am a bit unsure about applying to ICO

ICO's curriculum. Click on "academic programs" in the left column.
:)

http://www.ico.edu/AcademicPrograms/residen.html

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, I went on the prospective students tab assuming it was there and didn't find it. WOW... my brain is not working :(

i need spring break to come sooner

At my interview with NECO in October a couple of the 3rd and 4th year students told me (somewhat reluctantly) that their 1st time passing rate is lower than the national average, but that in the past few years they have been steadily rising. I don't know the exact number either though... and I think the fact that they don't make it readily accessible is a good indicator that it is one of their weaker points. What school wouldn't want to brag about high scores?

I don't remember a whole lot about NECO's academic curriculum, but they stressed their clinical program that tries to incorporate clinic hours earlier than most other schools.

(As a sidenote, I have to mention the faculty & students there seemed extremely personable and sweet, and their interview day alone made my impression of the school do a 180.)

Hi all,

Thanks!
optog

NECO came to speak at my school. Our pre-opt club asked her about the pass rates, and she gave us this response:
"It's not mandatory for the students to tell us how they did on boards. Therefore, I don't have any of those numbers with me."

It sounded really suspicious...

agreed... I think I just made a decision to apply to 5, not 6 schools (from my other post)

I mean the school may be great, but not disclosing it... that is fishy

If you guys had to choose between ICO and NECO, what would it be? and why?

I really like both school.
ICO -I'm a little bit concern about the safety there. As a city, Boston seems to be a nicer place to live in. ICO would be a lil bit cheaper than Boston too.
NECO - I'm concern about their academic program. I called the school asking about the passing rate for part I, and they sounded pretty relunctant to tell me. (They did say that for last it was in the low 90%). When I asked if this was the rate for first time test takers, they couldn't answer that question either.

Thanks for your opinion!

on the day of my interview, taline (director of adm, i think) at neco said that most schools give the total pass rate combining all attempts to publish a big number and then she gave broken down numbers about the percentage that passed during their first attempt, second attempt, etc. it didn't sound too good to me. it's as if they know the rates are bad and they want to blame other schools for manipulating numbers.

I mean I am sure they have a good program. It just scares me when a school hesitates to disclose information--which is very important.

on the day of my interview, taline (director of adm, i think) at neco said that most schools give the total pass rate combining all attempts to publish a big number and then she gave broken down numbers about the percentage that passed during their first attempt, second attempt, etc. it didn't sound too good to me. it's as if they know the rates are bad and they want to blame other schools for manipulating numbers.

Yeah its funny they say that because many of the schools SPECIFICALLY say the rate they publicize is their first time rate. But if it doesn't say whether its the first time rate, it probably isn't.

Yeah its funny they say that because many of the schools SPECIFICALLY say the rate they publicize is their first time rate. But if it doesn't say whether its the first time rate, it probably isn't.

It bothers me the ease of which opted.org could obtain and publish rates for all the schools broken down in to part I, II, III/attempts taken in a handy pdf file.

It bothers me the ease of which opted.org could obtain and publish rates for all the schools broken down in to part I, II, III/attempts taken in a handy pdf file.

I REALLY don't understand why the ASCO doesn't do it. They should post the scores by year, school and nationally so pre-opts aren't left to deal with rumors and misleading info.

Does anyone know if other disciplines do this (med, dent, etc)?