Quantcast

NECO, NOVA, SCCO, or SUNY?

OATBooster | The Ultimate OAT Resource
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you choose?

• NECO

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • NOVA

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • SCCO

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • SUNY

Votes: 14 34.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

k2m

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide which schools I should apply to. I've decided on applying to 5 schools, and have already chosen 3.
My remaining options are NECO, NOVA, SCCO, and SUNY. There are things I like and dislike about all 4, but no matter now much I think about it, I can't narrow it down. If you feel you could offer any input in helping me decide, that would be great!

k2m

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you voting in the polls, could you post why you chose that school?

Noemimi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
out of those two I would only want to go to SUNY or SCCO but since SCCO is closer to home... I picked SCCO.... plus they give you very little back from your deposit

cloud99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I voted SUNY

1) I'm from NY state so low tuition for all 4 years
2) Great rep/great clinic/high board pass rates

I just wish it wasn't in NYC

theta4alifetime

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I picked Nova b/c I'm a FL resident, and I'd save $6k for the next four years...I wanted to go to SUNY but living in NYC would be enormously expensive. They all have similar stats, but I think SUNY has a higher score on national boards. Nova does have a built-in board review in their curriculum tho, and it has supposedly helped them recently in bringing up their performance on boards. :xf:

p.s. I'm also in the class for 2013, so perhapse I'm biased..:p

Commando303

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people will just opt (ha, ha) for the school/s closer to them.

optog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I picked NECO because I want to move to Boston. It'll be the next four years of my life, and Boston seems to be a good town to spend it. I also liked NECO's international involvement that's different from other schools. All schools that you listed are accredited, which means that they are all good. You should figure out what school (location, method of teaching, types of students there, curriculum, etc...) suits you the best. It's an individual base.

blysssful

SUNY c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I picked NECO because I want to move to Boston. It'll be the next four years of my life, and Boston seems to be a good town to spend it. I also liked NECO's international involvement that's different from other schools. All schools that you listed are accredited, which means that they are all good. You should figure out what school (location, method of teaching, types of students there, curriculum, etc...) suits you the best. It's an individual base.

This is a good point. I chose SUNY because of those four, I think its the best school-- but that's why I decided to go there to begin with. But this is all based on the values that I find important.

There are things to consider about each school, both negative and positive:
SUNY: going to school in the middle of NYC might not be okay for a lot of people; it may have a more rigorous program compared to the other 3, which could be good or bad (although that's hard to say either way); fantastic clinical program; very high NBEO rates

SCCO: over-saturation issues in southern CA might make the clinical program suffer, especially with the opening of WU down the street; private school = high tuition; but can anyone really ever hate SoCal?

NECO: even more expensive than SCCO; doesn't have a great history of NBEO passing rates; interesting way of doing clincial

NOVA: pisspoor way of dealing with students that aren't doing well

(Others should give more info about NOVA; I never planned on applying there so I don't know much more than rumors)

k2m

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone.

suny sounds like a great school, but cost of living is definitely something i'm worried about. i'm a canadian so in-state tuition doesn't apply to me for any of these schools unfortunately. so far i think i'm leaning more towards scco and neco.

Optman87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a good point. I chose SUNY because of those four, I think its the best school-- but that's why I decided to go there to begin with. But this is all based on the values that I find important.

There are things to consider about each school, both negative and positive:
SUNY: going to school in the middle of NYC might not be okay for a lot of people; it may have a more rigorous program compared to the other 3, which could be good or bad (although that's hard to say either way); fantastic clinical program; very high NBEO rates

SCCO: over-saturation issues in southern CA might make the clinical program suffer, especially with the opening of WU down the street; private school = high tuition; but can anyone really ever hate SoCal?

NECO: even more expensive than SCCO; doesn't have a great history of NBEO passing rates; interesting way of doing clincial

NOVA: pisspoor way of dealing with students that aren't doing well

(Others should give more info about NOVA; I never planned on applying there so I don't know much more than rumors)

If you dont know anything but rumors why are you saying it has a pisspoor way of dealing with students that aren't doing well? Shouldnt you make decisions from your own experiences and not what you hear from other people?? Thats a little disrespectful in my opinion.....

blysssful

SUNY c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you dont know anything but rumors why are you saying it has a pisspoor way of dealing with students that aren't doing well? Shouldnt you make decisions from your own experiences and not what you hear from other people?? Thats a little disrespectful in my opinion.....

Perhaps I should have clarified. The only thing that I actually do know about NOVA is their policy of kicking a student out for failing a single course. Any of the other schools that I even began to consider are willing to work with the student to an extent, allow them to remediate the course and/or school year, or put them on academic probation... all of which are significantly more reasonable than being kicked out for failing a single course.

Before the PC police come get me again, NOVA does let you take a comprehensive exam if you fail a course, but if you get below ~70%, you're gone. Common sense would say that if you did poorly enough to fail the course to begin with, it's probably because you didn't understand the material to begin with and should see it again.

Does this mean that I'm saying NOVA is a bad school? No. It just means that this was reason enough for me (and several other people I know) not to apply there.

Optman87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I should have clarified. The only thing that I actually do know about NOVA is their policy of kicking a student out for failing a single course. Any of the other schools that I even began to consider are willing to work with the student to an extent, allow them to remediate the course and/or school year, or put them on academic probation... all of which are significantly more reasonable than being kicked out for failing a single course.

Before the PC police come get me again, NOVA does let you take a comprehensive exam if you fail a course, but if you get below ~70%, you're gone. Common sense would say that if you did poorly enough to fail the course to begin with, it's probably because you didn't understand the material to begin with and should see it again.

Does this mean that I'm saying NOVA is a bad school? No. It just means that this was reason enough for me (and several other people I know) not to apply there.

Ok yah.....i agree....

FutureCTDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nova I'm heading down to Ft. Lauderdale for the BS/DO. It's a great atmosphere with a lot of cooperation between the various groups of medical and allied health students and faculty.

eheaps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before the PC police come get me again, NOVA does let you take a comprehensive exam if you fail a course, but if you get below ~70%, you're gone.

I just want to clarify this again...if you fail a course, yes, they do give you a remedial exam. If you fail to pass the remedial as well...you have to repeat the whole year, you don't automatically get kicked out of the school. It's still a harsh policy, I agree with that, but you made it seem like they kick out students whereas that is not always the case. I know there are other schools/programs, not necessarily optometry programs, that have similar policies if you fail a course they feel is required to continue onto the next year it isn't so out of line to make you repeat the whole year so you are comfortable enough with the material you were struggling with to advance in the program.