Need a Few Suggestions to Improve my Application for DDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.s.k

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I am currently doing my internship in India. I wanted to know ways in which I can improve my chances to getting into a DDS programme. How do I improve my chances?

I don't think my gpa is going to be very high. I'm an American Citizen. Will doing hours of shadowing under a dentist in America help me?

What are other things I can do to boost my resume for DDS?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you almost done with your DDS in India? I've spoken on the phone with some people who work at admissions offices and there seems to be a consensus on the fact that lots of accepted students into advanced standing programs have some work experience in their home country or in the US. In the US, they really appreciate it if you work as a dental assistent before applying because you get to familiarize yourself with the American system. Moreover, the University of Minnesota, for instance, cares more about the skills test (they don't like to call it a bench test) than about the GPA because that can vary from country to country. In Holland (where I currently live), anything that's a 7 or above on a scale of 0 to 10 (9's and 10's are simply not given) is considered good, but WES translates it for some reason into like a B or a B- which is very strange. To make a long story short, your GPA is relatively important to stay competitive, but because of the discrepancy between all the different countries, some schools choose to put more emphasis on the skills test or the bench test. May I ask what your stats are?