Need a job? Read this if you don't mind living in Dallas.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTSouthwestern

1K Member
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been posting as frequently as before, but as the title implies, I and my group have been ridiculously busy and are looking to hire locums, permanent, etc.

I have kind of maxed out my connections trying to find quality candidates so I wanted to open the gates for anyone who might be interested in living in Dallas.

First and foremost, however, is that you have to have great skills and be personable and REASONABLE/LOGICAL. There is a story behind the latter that I will have to type up one day.

Although we have a heavy cardiac practice, the locums people will not be responsible for that and we can work out an arrangement for a permanent hire that does not want to do cardiac.

Bottom line is we are busy, BUSY, B U S Y and we need good people.

PM me with any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

ofcourse now the question no one wants to ask..what kinda $$$?

As I have said before, there just aren't enough good anesthesiologists to go around.

Members don't see this ad :)
apma77 said:
ofcourse now the question no one wants to ask..what kinda $$$?

It depends on what you are willing to do. If you do not put any limitations on what cases you will do, as a partner you will make high six figures. We have created a new contract for those unwilling to do cardiac in which your income would be less, but still 400-500+ as a partner. It's a three year partnership track but the work load is shared equally and I have only been in the hospital on three times on weekend home call in 6 months. No overnight in house call. No OB. No trauma. We are a hard working group but we also know where our priorities are and we have managed to create a high paying yet lifestyle conscious business situation that has both us and our surgeons happy. We just keep adding more surgeons and we need more quality us.

We are also hiring for two Fort Worth groups at two hospitals we have exclusive contracts at. Salary there is 400K from the start.

PM me for more details.

militarymd said:
As I have said before, there just aren't enough good anesthesiologists to go around.

It is the TRUTH. There are a lot of candidates out there, but when you put them under a microscope like we do, you can find a lot of differences in the candidates that make a big difference in productivity.

Mil, if you or Noyac or Jet or any other practicing anesthesiologists want to spend a week in Dallas earning some extra dough, let me know.

how about me? young strong anesthesiologist, will do any case including cardiac.. can do basic tee exam

do you need a texas license or can you do a locums license.. it takes like 18 months to get a texas license..

Hey guys, I'll be starting med school this fall, and am exploring anesthesiology.

Do some people not like doing cardio cases?? More liability?? Requiring of a special skill set?? Are some residents not trained effectively for cardio cases?

All of the above? lol Just curious....

UTSouthwestern said:
It depends on what you are willing to do. If you do not put any limitations on what cases you will do, as a partner you will make high six figures. We have created a new contract for those unwilling to do cardiac in which your income would be less, but still 400-500+ as a partner.

Damn- I wonder why I stay where I am. I don't make that much money even in my dreams. And I am in the hospital - in house- one weekend day a month if not more.
Maybe I should sart charging1% of all future income for all graduating residents. If I had done that years ago I could ave retired by now

davvid2700 said:
how about me? young strong anesthesiologist, will do any case including cardiac.. can do basic tee exam

do you need a texas license or can you do a locums license.. it takes like 18 months to get a texas license..

If you're serious, PM me and I'll give you an e-mail address to send your CV and reference letters.

UTSouthwestern said:
It is the TRUTH. There are a lot of candidates out there, but when you put them under a microscope like we do, you can find a lot of differences in the candidates that make a big difference in productivity.

What kinds of things are turning you off from candidates after looking at them closely? What things are you worried about affecting productivity?

aredoubleyou said:
What kinds of things are turning you off from candidates after looking at them closely? What things are you worried about affecting productivity?

Mostly it's when we follow up with the references listed. We do actually call them and ask questions and some give a very different description on the phone compared to the letters they have written. We also have friends among both the anesthesia and surgery faculty at many major institutions and we try to confirm that the candidates are good candidates.

"He's got all of the skills and his knowledge base is impressive, but he's lazy, tries to find every way to do as little as possible, and passes off work to other residents whenever possible." That's a direct quote from one professor I spoke to. I don't always take one view as the gospel but when two others also voiced their hesitation to fully endorse him, we knew we had to move on.

It's not a difficult set of criteria: We want young, enthusiastic, and easy going people who work hard, are team players, and know how to provide fast and safe anesthesia. Cardiac experience/desire is a plus, but not a necessity.

Sounds like a perfect job...Had one like that lined up in Arizona, but the boss said no go on moving to the southwest:(

UTSouthwestern said:
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been posting as frequently as before, but as the title implies, I and my group have been ridiculously busy and are looking to hire locums, permanent, etc.

I have kind of maxed out my connections trying to find quality candidates so I wanted to open the gates for anyone who might be interested in living in Dallas.

First and foremost, however, is that you have to have great skills and be personable and REASONABLE/LOGICAL. There is a story behind the latter that I will have to type up one day.

Although we have a heavy cardiac practice, the locums people will not be responsible for that and we can work out an arrangement for a permanent hire that does not want to do cardiac.

Bottom line is we are busy, BUSY, B U S Y and we need good people.

PM me with any questions.

Yet another thread that shows we speak the truth about the "real world" on this forum.

check out the Interesting Job Outlook Perspective , then come here and read UTs thread.

So for all you doubting Thomas's out there about Mil/Jet/Noyac/Zip/Ut et al's threads, heres proof positive for you...

What have we been saying concerning whats important in an applicant? What have we been saying about the job market?

Argue with us all you want, folks.

We know this business, and we tell it like it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
jetproppilot said:
Argue with us all you want, folks.

We know this business, and we tell it like it is.

so summarize for me jet all you know about this business that WE dont know.

davvid2700 said:
so summarize for me jet all you know about this business that WE dont know.

No, whats really the question is why most of your posts are antagonistic....just went through your post history, and it looks like you speak "to the contrary" on most posts.
So in other words, whatever is posted you disagree with.

Troll.

jetproppilot said:
just went through your post history, and it looks like you speak "to the contrary" on most posts.
So in other words, whatever is posted you disagree with.

Troll.

umm, not really..

I just disagree when someone is saying something totally wrong like nitecap with his anti md garbage, and

Military md who states that some races are inherently inferior

and zippy who you couldnt post a more racist post some time in the recent past.

As an educated white male who grew up in "america" I find it is my duty to give these people a a tongue lashing. (or a computer lashing). those posts are totally against any type of common sense. I expect it from you know the kids you grew up with who became welders and carpenters etc. Not physicians.
So I am a pretty even tempered guy except when i come on here and listen to some of the **** posted on here

get along.

Whats up zippy and jpp?

Hi Davvid,
Would you mind elaborating on the militarymd racial comments? I would be interested in knowing about that.

Beyonder, I believe David was sent out on a lil' locum gig to gain some experience in supervising CRNAs. My understanding is that he will report his experiences to the forum. The hope is that nothing "postal" will occur while working with the CRNAs. There seems to be a genuine attempt by some members of the forum to "nurture" the boy along in hopes that someday when the name "David" is mentioned, everyone won't run underneath the covers and hide. Regards, ----Zip

Thebeyonder said:
Hi Davvid,
Would you mind elaborating on the militarymd racial comments? I would be interested in knowing about that.

Just look at his past posts.. a few weeks ago he posted a bunch of idiotic stuff about blacks being genetically inferior to all the other races. something like that i dont think it was exactly his words but he pissed off a few of the black members. I tried to tell him the error of his ways but i was in the middle of a bru ha ha with another pesky fellow by the name of nitecap and i got banned for a week. so it got lost but i still havent forgotten who im dealing with. at any rate feel free to ask him about it.

LOOK GUYS, CUT THE **** ON MY JOBS THREAD. Take your arguments back to the other threads. If you don't want a job and don't want to make high six figures, get off this thread.

davvid2700 said:
Just look at his past posts.. a few weeks ago he posted a bunch of idiotic stuff about blacks being genetically inferior to all the other races. something like that i dont think it was exactly his words but he pissed off a few of the black members. I tried to tell him the error of his ways but i was in the middle of a bru ha ha with another pesky fellow by the name of nitecap and i got banned for a week. so it got lost but i still havent forgotten who im dealing with. at any rate feel free to ask him about it.

Uhhh,,, bashers, MilMD aint no white crakka. That would be me, with the lifted Yukon and the Red Seal Wintergreen Finecut.

SO, if the dudes a minority, whats your beef?

Thats like being mad at Chris Rock for saying n igga.

You bashers really need to learn the art of looking for the message in a post, instead of just reading the words.

UTSouthwestern said:
LOOK GUYS, CUT THE **** ON MY JOBS THREAD. Take your arguments back to the other threads. If you don't want a job and don't want to make high six figures, get off this thread.

MAN,

UT has transformed into a SAMURI , huh? :laugh:

sorry bro. Wont post anymore on your thread. My bad. I dont want my head cut off by a Samuri sword. I'm cool. I'm out.

Hi all, I'm just coming off the job hunt trail (I complete my residency at a Top 10 med center in June) where i recently consumated my first contract. Yippee!

I conducted a NATIONWIDE job search and Dallas was VERY much in the mix of locales i was interested in going to (great vibe, growing, sports, excellent housing options). However, here was my experience with Dallas if I remember correctly (its been a couple of months):

Dallas appears to be a collection 17 or so groups fighting for market share in the large, growing, Dallas Metroplex using one management company to do its recruiting. If I recall, its mostly fee for service groups ("eat what you kill!") meaning the more you work the more you make essentially. Its a dog-eat-dog mentality I pictured with those partners at the top of the ladder really controlling the flow that really turned me off.

Here's the kicker though--they all appeared to have a ridiculous 3 year partnership track and the starting salaries was only $170 Grand. In addition to the ridiculous 3 year track, stories are rife in "eat what you kill" environments about groups NOT extending partnership offers once your 3 years of servitude are complete.

So ask yourself this, why would such vibrant cities as Dallas (and to an even larger extent Phoenix) have such difficulties attracting great potential partners??? The truth is in the details, and places with largely fee for service environments are really hurting it would appear.

UT's group may be (and probably is!) much different, but I thought I'd share my view of Dallas for anyone interested..

Khalid said:
Hi all, I'm just coming off the job hunt trail (I complete my residency at a Top 10 med center in June) where i recently consumated my first contract. Yippee!

I conducted a NATIONWIDE job search and Dallas was VERY much in the mix of locales i was interested in going to (great vibe, growing, sports, excellent housing options). However, here was my experience with Dallas if I remember correctly (its been a couple of months):

Dallas appears to be a collection 17 or so groups fighting for market share in the large, growing, Dallas Metroplex using one management company to do its recruiting. If I recall, its mostly fee for service groups ("eat what you kill!") meaning the more you work the more you make essentially. Its a dog-eat-dog mentality I pictured with those partners at the top of the ladder really controlling the flow that really turned me off.

Here's the kicker though--they all appeared to have a ridiculous 3 year partnership track and the starting salaries was only $170 Grand. In addition to the ridiculous 3 year track, stories are rife in "eat what you kill" environments about groups NOT extending partnership offers once your 3 years of servitude are complete.

So ask yourself this, why would such vibrant cities as Dallas (and to an even larger extent Phoenix) have such difficulties attracting great potential partners??? The truth is in the details, and places with largely fee for service environments are really hurting it would appear.

UT's group may be (and probably is!) much different, but I thought I'd share my view of Dallas for anyone interested..

I know which groups you interviewed with. :D

Eat what you kill is primarily one group. That group is a big group but functions more as a combination of independent practitioners under one corporate billing/credentialing/management structure.

170K starting in Dallas is not the offers I got (ranged from $200K to 70-80% of what you bill or more, with benefits and incentives/overtime for those offers at the lower end - sell a week of vacation time for $10-15K to a partner, take extra call, etc.). You interviewed with Pinnacle Anesthesia Consultants using their recruiter/recruiting service. They used to be the big ape on the block, but the non associated groups have grown while Pinnacle has stagnated. You were probably "directed" to specific groups based on the information you provided the recruiter. While I think that is fine, I would have recommended you interview with at least a dozen non Pinnacle groups that I suspect would have made you a better offer and offered you better locations to work at.

I'd say the majority of practices here are some type of lump and divide business practice - partners paid equally or paid a prorated rate based on points, time, etc.

It isn't difficult for the groups to attract people here to work. I guess for my group, it's the pickiness with which our group screens candidates. Of the candidates that have PM'd me with CV's, only two so far have been offered an invitation to interview out of more than two dozen CV's so far. All are good candidates and three will be interviewing for our Fort Worth groups, but we are still looking for some more candidates for the main group.

As for the other groups in town, the people they have hired this year alone are a veritable who's who collection, with people ranging from residents of programs across the nation to multiple chief residents and fellows to a chairman of cardiac anesthesia from a west coast program and a number of strong faculty from strong programs including three from my own program's faculty.

I wish you had contacted me so that I could have given you some recommendations on other groups to interview with besides Pinnacle and TXAN.