Need a little bit of discouragement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saluki

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Practice in rural AR
Make about 80,000 grand, 70k after malpractice, 65k after taxes... Ah well, the only places to spend your money are blockbuster and KFC, so it doesn't matter much.
You know,the weird thing is... I'm looking forward to it:)

Members don't see this ad.

mashce said:
Practice in rural AR
Make about 80,000 grand, 70k after malpractice, 65k after taxes... Ah well, the only places to spend your money are blockbuster and KFC, so it doesn't matter much.
You know,the weird thing is... I'm looking forward to it:)

Now you're talking! :thumbup: Good luck, mashce, I bet you are going to make a great doctor.

General practicioners often make more in rural settings than their city counterparts do, due to supply/demand economics. I know of a general practicioner making $400,000/yr in rural South Carolina (ok, so its semi-rural). His brother in law, an internist in Columbia (the capital), pulls in ~300k/yr. Not too bad if you ask me.
I'm looking forward to it too! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah but the downside is, they live in rural SC :scared:

Blue Scrub said:
yeah but the downside is, they live in rural SC :scared:

:laugh: :laugh:

Come on down! You know you want to live in SoCal (South Carolina ;) )

Revolution #9 said:
:laugh: :laugh:

Come on down! You know you want to live in SoCal (South Carolina ;) )

myrtle beach, a little golf on hilton head.

but thats about it for me.

Well I'm from Charleston and I can assure you it's an awesome place to live. But my uncles who are doctors aren't making the kind of money Revolution is talking about. Well my one uncle who is an interventional cardiologist is for sure, but the other one who's a rheumatologist certainly isn't. This is not rural, it's in Charleston, so as people said...it's possible that you make more in rural locations. Although I have trouble believing the internist making $300k in Columbia; price of living down there is much lower, and almost all professions have lower salaries than in other parts of the country. In my experience this holds true for doctors.

But who cares, anyway? Personally I'd rather focus on more immediate concerns, like actually getting into med school :p

how do you figure only 15k taxes out of 80k salary? i want to live under that tax code

internet said:
how do you figure only 15k taxes out of 80k salary? i want to live under that tax code
Pure guesssing... my family has never made it above that beautiful watermark known as the poverty line...
Ahh... grinding poverty... the key to freedom from heavy taxation:)

Ark is a tax heavy state. I never realized it until I moved away and had split taxes one year. I made less income in Ark but paid more state tax.

It is a pretty state though.

I still know some rural area FP docs that make a ton, though it has gone down a bit.

mashce said:
Practice in rural AR
Try more like $45K after taxes, especially if you consider property and sales tax.