Need A LOT of help for Pitt Med, HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Highschoolkid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm a high school senior who wants to desperately go to Pitt Med. Its been my dream to go there for the past two years. I applied to the University of Pittsburgh as a pre-med major. Here's the catch: Because I have an outstanding high school transcript and record, the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine has chosen me to interview for them as part of their Guaranteed Medical School Admission Program, where they select a few highly motivated, qualified students to be admitted to medical school following their undergraduate studies provided a few criteria are met during the undergraduate years (3.7 GPA and a 32 MCAT). I REALLY want to get accepted to this program, but that means that I have to wow the admissions committee. They asked me to bring anything to my interview that I thought would help me because they have not seen my application yet (the interviewees were chosen by the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Medicine has not seen my application). I plan on bringing my undergraduate application (SAT scores, ACT scores, Activity Sheet, and High School Transcript). However, like I said, I really want to wow them, so I would like to kind of fill out a mock School of Medicine application, especially the secondary essays. I know about the essays about an ethical dilemma and about why accepting me would bring diversity to their school. I need to know if there are any other essays which are part of the Pitt Med application, are there any more? Also, I have an idea of what I want to write about for the diversity essay; that I am a surfer, skateboarder, punk rock music listener, among other unorthodox hobbies. Does this soun like a good idea? Additionally, I don't know where to go with the ethical dliemma essay, any suggestions? Finally, I really want the admissions committee to be amazed at my interview, anyone know what they are really looking for during an interview? You have no idea how much I want this acceptance, please help. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Just to let you know, a 32 and a 3.7 are VERY good stats - in other words, assuming you could get those, you would be okay whether or not you were in their program.

As for advice.... I know they like 'non-traditional' stuff; mention a hobby or two that's unique, but only if you're REALLY into it (in other words, listening to a type of music doesn't mean much, but being a musician does, etc.). As for the ethical scenario, try not to write about anything education-related... I think they might have even specified that.

Good luck!! Pitt is an awesome school... I'll cross my fingers for you too (that's A LOT of finger crossing i've been doing lately! Makes you wonder where I'm getting all of these fingers...)

Thank you very much. I am actually a member of a local rock band. We have a demo tape and sent it out to a few places. Is that unique? Also, I really didn't want to write about education related ethical issues, thats why I asked what I could write about. I don't know if I have been faced with other ethical issues in my lifetime. Any suggestions? Am I missing any part of the application for Pitt, especially another essay? If I call Pitt, will they be willing to tell me who will interview me, you know, so that I can really know a lot about them before the interivew? As you can see, I am really willing to go above and beyond in order to get accepted. What else can I do to show interest? I know that a 32 and 3.7 would get me into Pitt anyway, but I would really like to do other stuff at Pitt while trying to keep up my GPA and studying for the MCAT. Thats why I want to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, so I now know what to write about for the discrimination essay. How about the interviews, we all know that they ask specific questions and things of that sort, but what are they actually looking for in these interviews, especially Pitt Med? Also, are there any topics to avoid for the ethical dilemma essay other than educational ethical dilemmas? Please help if you can.

Here is what I have written so far for my essay about how I can bring diversity to the school:

?The doctor is a person who has been trained to think, to observe critically, and to realize that a human being is not a conglomeration of integrated complex systems, but an individual with a personality of his own.?
-William A. R. Thomson

Imagine a place where your heart thumps immediately before the most invigorating experience of your lifetime. You know you have spent the past months rehearsing, yet your palms still sweat and your voice becomes hoarse. Suddenly, these signs of apprehension vanish and you find yourself in astonishment upon the world?s most creative plateau: the stage.

I am going to continue by writing about my first experience performing at a rock concert. I know that that Pitt wanted it to be limited to 250 words, so I'll try to do that. Feel free to criticize or make suggestions.

This isnt helpful but Pitt's guaranteed admissions requires a 3.7/32? That seems awfully high, doesnt it? I mean, with those numbers you'd be getting in someplace anyway. What if someone in the program didn't make that cut? Would they then just go the traditional route?

Sorry I can't be of help, but good luck anyway!!! :)

Pitt is a good school. 3.7, 32 doesn't promise anything at pitt in regular admissions

Why don't you check out the interview feedback for Pitt on this website? I don't know how your interview will be, but for the regular admissions program they are pretty chill. Just be yourself (unless you are total jerk) and you'll do fine. Don't brag, don't try and act smarter than you really are, and don't memorize responses to questions that you anticipate will be asked.
Also, plenty of people change their minds about medicine during college. Make sure you really know what you are getting into.