1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Need a miracle in OrgoI

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by ClickityClack, Dec 5, 2008.

1. ClickityClack

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well, like the title says, barring any sort of miracle I will come out of OrgoI with a C.
    I've currently got a 3.72 (two B's, one C) overall, havent yet calculated my science GPA (but it's probably a little higher, about a 3.75/3.8). I've got about 68 hours so far, I'm a junior. Haven't yet taken the MCAT.

I could barely squeeze into a B, if I basically ace the final. Don't think it's gonna happen, though....

I guess I'm not screwed, but just how bad is it? Top schools will not take me, I guess, but what does that mean? Why would I want to go to a top school, anyway?
    Does anybody think I can get into UNC with a C in Orgo? I've still got biochem coming up, would that help offset the effects, besides just a better grade in OrgoII?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If people with an F on their record can get accepted, I think 2 Cs will not destroy your chances. Redemption is an A away with Orgo II OR Biochem.

4. ClickityClack

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well, the previous C is in African American Studies.
    One B in a preparatory math class that didn't even need, my brain kinda refused to operate after I realized it.
    One B in the first General Chemistry class.

I'm worried that it might seem like a possible developing pattern to admissions committees. And, it's a C in a pre-req.

Also, I'm worried that I might be seen as a loser (of sorts) because I got a C in the first actually challenging class that pre-meds usually have. I know some people say it's not a problem, simply because it IS seen as the first challenging class. But, doesn't that make it a dividing line between upper and lower level students?
    The crappiest part: I'm smart enough to have gotten an A, I just didn't study enough. I bought a stupid motorcycle and have screwed myself over for the entire semester.

5. ClickityClack

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Even worse, I've got (I think) 6 W's, maybe 7.
    I had a pretty bad freshman year. Spent too much time with my sister after she got cancer.

6. ClickityClack

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Come on, people...

Am I screwed or what? I'm dyin' here!

7. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If you beat yourself up about it enough, does that mean it won't happen again? Because if it does, THAT will be a pattern. And you'll end up spending an extra year on GPA resuscitation before you can apply to med schools. The Ws look bad enough early on in college. Since you've used up your allotment, you can't use that "out" anymore if your grades are going south. Resolve to be better from this moment on. Put in the effort to get a B out of this class. Don't be the person who spends the rest of his life as a phlebotomist.

Did I yell at you enough to make you feel like fighting for your future?

8. ClickityClack

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yes, I already know what you're saying. That's why I'm freaking out. What I'm wondering is if it's still worth fighting for, if I come out with a C on Tuesday. I don't even want to get into top schools, I just want to get in somewhere.

#7 ClickityClack, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  9. ClickityClack

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    God, this is horrible!

Retake/not retake. Retake/not retake.
    Probably retake. Bye bye, fancy graduation robe. Hello, better MCAT score.

10. ILikeFood

ILikeFood NSU Class of 2013
    10+ Year Member

A single grade isn't going to destroy your chances (though a string of them will). I wouldn't retake. Just bounce back next semester and stop beating yourself up.

11. richse

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just explain that in your personal statement. Freshman year will not kill you. W's in your senior year would hurt far far worse. You look to be in good shape to get into plenty of schools. Just work on getting some clinical experience (show that you can handle medical work) and get a decent mcat and you will be fine. Trust me, I had a bad freshman year and now I have 3 acceptances.

12. ClickityClack

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you, but I think I'm gonna retake the class even if I get a B. Now I've just gotta figure out how to get my university to let me.

13. richse

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It is a debated topic around here, but I think that retaking a C is generally a bad idea and should only be done if you can get an A at the retake. It doesn't sound like you re very sure you will do well so I would counsel you against the retake. It could end up looking worse to the adcoms getting a C and then a B. Plus, averaging a B and a C for the AMCAS just gives you a C+/B- and that will be a negligible gpa difference.

You have a 3.7+ GPA, no one will care that you got a C in one pre-req class. You should concentrate on other stuff (MCAT prep and clinical work) that will strengthen your application.

14. Artimacia

Artimacia can do stuff real good
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Seriously, you'll be fine. I got two C's this semester in two science classes (physics and chem 2). I just got to do better next semester and study hard for the mcat, and keep my ec's up. From what I've been told, you shouldn't retake if you have one or two C's because it will just average in a B or even stay a C, which won't make much of a difference. Just do what I'm doing, work as hard as you can for these last few weeks, and move on aiming to do better next semester.

(BTW i had a 3.8 gpa before, one B in chem 1)