need a moonlighting opportunity in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inscape2004

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
current PM&R resident, s/p internship in medicine

anyone know any sleepy community hospitals or nursing homes in need of moonlighting MD?

Members don't see this ad.

Just resurrecting this old thread....

I'm an EM resident in NYC looking to moonlight (licensed in NY) in or around NYC but I have yet to find any fruitful leads despite a lot of looking around. Does anyone know of EDs or even urgent care/walk-in clinics that use moonlighters? I'd really appreciate any info!!

I heard it is hard to find moonlighting jobs in New York. I think there are more IMG's employed as "fellows" who are waiting to get an upper level residency spot. Also, there are more docs in general in New York than in some other areas. Where I live (in the South) moonlighting jobs are falling off the trees...more than you could ever do!
Agree w/checking with your fellow residents.
You could also call up local urgent care centers/doc in the box type places and see if they need someone to help out on weekend or at night, etc.

Yup. NYC is almost impossible to moonlight in. To many BE/BC docs. However, if you *could* travel about 4 hours, you might be able to find something. But then you have to ask yourself if its really worth it.

Thank you everyone for the insight and info. I am going to try cold calling some places (urgent care and EDs) and I may have some luck with a place about 2 hrs away from here. That DEA # cost a fortune tho!

What is the average moonlighting pay per hour in NYC?

Yes , attendings moonlight too!

NYC, no idea.
upstate new york hospitalist jobs, are being offered on avg at 130 Hr with flexible hours. Be prepared to work your ***** of in most places though( codes, proc, icu rounding, 20+ pats.).
Get a recruiter or post your CV online( dont give your cell or it will ring non stop, practice link, practice math, locum tenems .com come to mind).
ahhh and career fairs, they always have some by career md .com etc.
you got to hustle! :)
its all as independent contractor, and its a good way to get some deductions out for your taxes( you can 100% deduct you licence, books, CME etc, instead of a percentage on a W-2.)
Go for it!
good luck.