Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

need a moonlighting opportunity in NY

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by inscape2004, May 7, 2007.

1. inscape2004

Resident [Any Field]
    current PM&R resident, s/p internship in medicine

anyone know any sleepy community hospitals or nursing homes in need of moonlighting MD?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. castaway

castaway Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just resurrecting this old thread....

I'm an EM resident in NYC looking to moonlight (licensed in NY) in or around NYC but I have yet to find any fruitful leads despite a lot of looking around. Does anyone know of EDs or even urgent care/walk-in clinics that use moonlighters? I'd really appreciate any info!!

4. Usually the best leads will come from your fellow residents.

5. dragonfly99

Attending Physician
    I heard it is hard to find moonlighting jobs in New York. I think there are more IMG's employed as "fellows" who are waiting to get an upper level residency spot. Also, there are more docs in general in New York than in some other areas. Where I live (in the South) moonlighting jobs are falling off the trees...more than you could ever do!
    Agree w/checking with your fellow residents.
    You could also call up local urgent care centers/doc in the box type places and see if they need someone to help out on weekend or at night, etc.

6. roja

Attending Physician
    Yup. NYC is almost impossible to moonlight in. To many BE/BC docs. However, if you *could* travel about 4 hours, you might be able to find something. But then you have to ask yourself if its really worth it.

7. castaway

castaway Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thank you everyone for the insight and info. I am going to try cold calling some places (urgent care and EDs) and I may have some luck with a place about 2 hrs away from here. That DEA # cost a fortune tho!

8. threecoins

threecoins Member

Attending Physician
    What is the average moonlighting pay per hour in NYC?

9. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    You resurrected a 5 year old thread to ask this??? And if you are an "attending" why are you asking about moonlighting?

10. threecoins

threecoins Member

Attending Physician
    Yes , attendings moonlight too!

11. tartesos

tartesos Medalaganario
    Physician Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    NYC, no idea.
    upstate new york hospitalist jobs, are being offered on avg at 130 Hr with flexible hours. Be prepared to work your ***** of in most places though( codes, proc, icu rounding, 20+ pats.).
    Get a recruiter or post your CV online( dont give your cell or it will ring non stop, practice link, practice math, locum tenems .com come to mind).
    ahhh and career fairs, they always have some by career md .com etc.
    you got to hustle! :)
    its all as independent contractor, and its a good way to get some deductions out for your taxes( you can 100% deduct you licence, books, CME etc, instead of a percentage on a W-2.)
    Go for it!
    good luck.