NEED A NEW SUIT. Three Button or Two Button.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firebody

Banned
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's the etiquette if there is any to the type of suit worn to an occasion. i need a new suit, specifically for interviews. three button or two button?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm not sure that i can recall seeing someone in a two-button suit.

i would go for the 3-button, personally.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
frantic983 said:
3 button if you are portly.

Or if you're a taller person. 4 button if youre freakishly NBA tall.

firebody said:
what's the etiquette if there is any to the type of suit worn to an occasion. i need a new suit, specifically for interviews. three button or two button?

As far as I know they are both equally fine to wear. It's more a matter of personal preference, but personally I like 3-button suits.

my opinion, 3 button if you are taller/ slimmer also a more modern look. 2 button if you are a little bit broader also if you want a more Brooks Brothers look.
Personally, I sport a bowtie and feel that the 2 buttons is better fit.

Sweet Tea said:
2-button/3-button doesn't matter. long as it's hunter green you're fine. :thumbup: ;)

see, that's what i was thinking too. forget the buttons, it's all about the green baby. the funny thing is i started getting partial to a sea foam colored suit. what do you think? should i splurge the green to get green?

firebody said:
see, that's what i was thinking too. forget the buttons, it's all about the green baby. the funny thing is i started getting partial to a sea foam colored suit. what do you think? should i splurge the green to get green?

the simple fact is that you're never going to get in if your suit isn't hunter green. feel free to express yourself with sea foam if you want, but it's your education you're risking. :rolleyes:

btw, your avatar makes me laugh every single time

Sweet Tea said:
the simple fact is that you're never going to get in if your suit isn't hunter green. feel free to express yourself with sea foam if you want, but it's your education you're risking. :rolleyes:

btw, your avatar makes me laugh every single time

i see what you're saying. maybe i should sway away from the sea foam mentality and get the hunter green. i do have a matching hat that i could maybe sport along with it. as far as my avatar, just know that although there are several SDN pundits who've asked to use it, i'm the orginator of the purple spanker....work it, work it, oh yeah....work it.

just go to men's warehouse and tell them you want something that makes people look at you and think "deon sanders"
2 vs 3 buttons doesn't matter in orange or purple

I am a connoisseur of fine suits--Italian, English, and especially those custom-made by fine tailors in the United States. The type of suit you buy first of all depends on what is available in your area, second of all on your personal preference, and thirdly on your body type.

If you live far from a major metropolitan area, you'll likely have to buy a non-designer suit, probably one that retails in the under $600 range from your local department store or mensware store. In this case, I suggest you go with a 3-botton suit, as it will have more contemporary styling. Buying a 2-button suit in such an area, you will be limited to an outdated suit that is most likely of low quality in fabric and form. This suit will not fit well. They are designed to fit a wide variety of body types, which means they don't fit anyone well.

If you have the option of buying your suit in a major metropolitan area, you'll likely have many more options. You can choose from your basic Hugo Boss or Joseph Abboud suit (in the $800 range) or a less expensive suit (like DKNY in the $500-$600 range). These suits will display more contemporary styling than a generic brand suit. Try on a variety of suits in this range, and buy the one you fill most comfortable in. Manufacturers in this price range make acceptable 2-button and 3-button suits. The 3-button suits will be a little more contemporary in style, the 2-button suits more conservative.

If you have more money to spend, I highly recommend spending it. Armani suits can fit any body type impeccably, although, you'll have the easiest time finding one that fits perfectly (and it will need fewer alterations) if you're tall and thin. Armani suits start at about $1600, but another manufacturer that makes just as fine suits for about $400 less is Canali. Suits by Zegna are priced comparably with Armani but show slightly more variety of fit.

If you are an impeccably beautiful young man, with a tall, long, slender body and immaculate physique, you have the world of fine suits at your fingertips. High-end designer suits are made to fit you. Prada, Gucci, Cavali, and infinite numbers of smaller but equally stunning design houses produce suits that will hang on your body as naturally and effortlessly as foreskin. No matter what color or pattern your choose, you'll look great. With suits of this quality, the number of buttons is utterly irrelevant. Naturally, these suits start at about $2000, so you not only have to be beautiful and have a great body to wear one, but you also have to be rich.

This all being said, I think Jil Sander makes great suits, and they start around $1400. Canali suits are also great bang for your buck, and they're very traditional in style and very appropriate for medical school interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forget this...GO FOR THE HUNTER GREEN!!!!!

dgf32 said:
I am a connoisseur of fine suits--Italian, English, and especially those custom-made by fine tailors in the United States. The type of suit you buy first of all depends on what is available in your area, second of all on your personal preference, and thirdly on your body type.

If you live far from a major metropolitan area, you'll likely have to buy a non-designer suit, probably one that retails in the under $600 range from your local department store or mensware store. In this case, I suggest you go with a 3-botton suit, as it will have more contemporary styling. Buying a 2-button suit in such an area, you will be limited to an outdated suit that is most likely of low quality in fabric and form. This suit will not fit well. They are designed to fit a wide variety of body types, which means they don't fit anyone well.

If you have the option of buying your suit in a major metropolitan area, you'll likely have many more options. You can choose from your basic Hugo Boss or Joseph Abboud suit (in the $800 range) or a less expensive suit (like DKNY in the $500-$600 range). These suits will display more contemporary styling than a generic brand suit. Try on a variety of suits in this range, and buy the one you fill most comfortable in. Manufacturers in this price range make acceptable 2-button and 3-button suits. The 3-button suits will be a little more contemporary in style, the 2-button suits more conservative.

If you have more money to spend, I highly recommend spending it. Armani suits can fit any body type impeccably, although, you'll have the easiest time finding one that fits perfectly (and it will need fewer alterations) if you're tall and thin. Armani suits start at about $1600, but another manufacturer that makes just as fine suits for about $400 less is Canali. Suits by Zegna are priced comparably with Armani but show slightly more variety of fit.

If you are an impeccably beautiful young man, with a tall, long, slender body and immaculate physique, you have the world of fine suits at your fingertips. High-end designer suits are made to fit you. Prada, Gucci, Cavali, and infinite numbers of smaller but equally stunning design houses produce suits that will hang on your body as naturally and effortlessly as foreskin. No matter what color or pattern your choose, you'll look great. With suits of this quality, the number of buttons is utterly irrelevant. Naturally, these suits start at about $2000, so you not only have to be beautiful and have a great body to wear one, but you also have to be rich.

This all being said, I think Jil Sander makes great suits, and they start around $1400. Canali suits are also great bang for your buck, and they're very traditional in style and very appropriate for medical school interviews.

Go naked but with the hat and matching socks. That will definately get their attention.

erin682 said:
Go naked but with the hat and matching socks. That will definately get their attention.

Screw the buttons. I had them put a zipper on my suit with my name embroidered on each sleeve.

dgf32 said:
If you are an impeccably beautiful young man, with a tall, long, slender body and immaculate physique, you have the world of fine suits at your fingertips.

well my portly demeanor has been known to receive a few cat calls here and there. i have also been aptly described as the 'brad pitt' of my herd, to which of course i can't deny :) . we have uncanny facial features that are the result of great genes in our families. let me hear it ladies....can i get a woot woot!!

let me hear you say it ....woot woot!

I personally feel if you are going to go through the financial burdens of applying to med school, when everything is said and done, whats another $800 + investment on a stellar outfit for the interviews. Besides you will have a good suit which will most definately come in handy as a medical professional.

kapnut said:
I personally feel if you are going to go through the financial burdens of applying to med school, when everything is said and done, whats another $800 + investment on a stellar outfit for the interviews. Besides you will have a good suit which will most definately come in handy as a medical professional.

Not to mention the fact that you will need one for your residency interviews, cocktail parties, etc.

firebody said:
three button or two button?

one button - the belly button. as in, the belly button as only partially obscured by orange body paint and a "thug life" tattoo across the abdomen. worked for me.

i think the 8 button suit has a certain undeniable appeal

Attachments

• cedric698.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 250
firebody said:

Is this thread for real?

And for pete's sake, make sure the bottom button of a 3-button suit is UNBUTTONED, as it should be.

the bottom button of any type of suit, way too many clowns walkin around em all buttoned, learn how to tie a half windsor, the dimple looks tight

yposhelley said:
Is this thread for real?

not any more it's not

my gosh, wear a suit, the number of buttons and color doesn't matter as long as it is conservative, not flashy and neat looking. No interviewer is going to be counting the number of buttons. sheesh. If that's all I had to worry about, i'd be out celebrating now. :cool:

Psycho Doctor said:
not any more it's not

my gosh, wear a suit, the number of buttons and color doesn't matter as long as it is conservative, not flashy and neat looking. No interviewer is going to be counting the number of buttons. sheesh. If that's all I had to worry about, i'd be out celebrating now. :cool:

having a hunter green suit is the most important factor in med school admissions. no exceptions.

Sweet Tea said:
having a hunter green suit is the most important factor in med school admissions. no exceptions.

oh and i thought it was drinking green tea...oh well

You need to stick with an old-school, conservative look. Something in mustard yellow will go great with black and white wingtips. Keep the pants baggy, add a dangling watch chain, and a matching fedora. You will rule the interview, awe the interviewers, and look shmokin[/IMG]

dgf32 said:

Very well-written, good research. Get real.

firebody said:

No one gives a damn on the proper "etiquette" - only stiff necks, pompous, aristocratic asses. Exclude me from that group! :thumbdown:

SillyBoyCT said:
No one gives a damn on the proper "etiquette" - only stiff necks, pompous, aristocratic asses. Exclude me from that group! :thumbdown:

what? WHAT? WHat? no one give a DAMN!! WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO SAY NO ONE GiVES A DAMN!! Why I OUGHTA!!

vote or die bitch!

http://www.dailyrecycler.com/blog/

dgf32 said:
Prada, Gucci, Cavali, and infinite numbers of smaller but equally stunning design houses produce suits that will hang on your body as naturally and effortlessly as foreskin.

Maybe if you spend as much effort coming up with mataphors as you do comparing tailoring you wouldn't have to quit your day job and become an MD.

My two cents: Two button is classic, and never goes out of style. Three buttons are very trendy, but go in and out of style (assuming you are of average size, otherwise the previous posts about tall vs plump etc come into play). I went for the three button because I hope to be able to afford another suit by the time three buttons are "soooo last year".

also, only buy a suit with an on premises tailor. Have the tailor show you the suits and not a salesperson; the tailor will show you the suits that fit YOU the best. I have also found from my experience that individual designers (i.e Brooks Brothers, Barneys...) have better tailors than department stores (Bloomingdales or Nordstroms).
Trust the tailor not the salesman
p.s: i have bought a few suits in my time

CarlosMielefan said:
Very well-written, good research. Get real.

CarlosMielefan: relax... dgf32 was actually helpful.

for peeps buying suits: go to e.B.a.y. (duh)

firebody said:

I got black three button suit. Actually the salesman made me to buy black instead of grey but with black suit he showed me nice shirt with stripes. I really liked that combination and I decided to buy black. Actually those stripes really look conservative and still better than plane shirt. And yeah nice colored tie.

dgf32 said:

I connot believe you used a simile with foreskin in it