Need a OMFS game plan next 2 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAKERS46

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
4 yrs private practice
Completed a GPR -2012
On hospital staff x 2
tons of exts
Want to complete OMFS residency 4 yr
Long shot but what is the best plan to get in?
Looking at internship? OMFS/ Anes intern? Non categorical vs categorical? Difference?
Need to take CSBE? Or NMLE?
Any advice or ideas would be great!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs will require you to take the CBSE, although there are still a few that don't require them. An internship would probably be a good idea.

Most programs will require you to take the CBSE, although there are still a few that don't require them. An internship would probably be a good idea.
Thanks..what are the internships that are non categorical? Not sure of that designation? Any particular internships you can/ would suggest?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you remember your class rank and NBME Part I score? They will still be an important part of your application. You can message me your scores if you want an honest opinion without having to post them here.

A non-categorial intern (aka "red-shirt" intern) is a 1st year OMFS resident that is not officially matched into any residency. People do this for many reasons -- (1) to gain exposure to OMFS, (2) to improve their application to residency, and (3) to show dedication to the field. They typically function as 1st year residents, taking call, managing clinics, managing the inpatient service, and occasionally operating in the OR. These people are typically applying to OMFS residencies during their non-categorical intern year. You are paid PGY-1 salary as well. It is differentiated by a categorical internship by the fact that they are not officially in a program.

I'll have to look up everything,
Thinking Part 1 was 84/85-part 2 -83? No idea about class rank I'll have to call to get, I know that is no where close to competitive so Ill have to rely on everything else I'm guessing... Internships, letters of rec, CSBE, interviews, so that I can show I'm a good candidate for a residency spot.
Do you remember your class rank and NBME Part I score? They will still be an important part of your application. You can message me your scores if you want an honest opinion without having to post them here.

A non-categorial intern (aka "red-shirt" intern) is a 1st year OMFS resident that is not officially matched into any residency. People do this for many reasons -- (1) to gain exposure to OMFS, (2) to improve their application to residency, and (3) to show dedication to the field. They typically function as 1st year residents, taking call, managing clinics, managing the inpatient service, and occasionally operating in the OR. These people are typically applying to OMFS residencies during their non-categorical intern year. You are paid PGY-1 salary as well. It is differentiated by a categorical internship by the fact that they are not officially in a program.
ll look

Get a 70+ on the NBME and then do a noncategorical internship year. At this point the harder of those two things is getting the 70 plus on the NBME, since you are likely very rusty on basic sciences and pathology/ pathophys. Don't anticipate having alot of time to study during the internship year and you may have to take it more than once like most people who apply.

Agreed. Take NBME, score above 70 and participate in a non categorical internship at a respected institution (or one that is convenient for you/family). I'd try to take the exam in August of 2016 or Feburary of 2017. Then, do a non categorical year starting July 2017 to apply for 2018 match. That's a two year plan. That can be condensed by one year if you apply now for a non cat spot starting July 2016, study for August NBME realizing that the last 5-6 weeks before your exam will be at the beginning of your intern year (July 1st). This would make studying next to impossible, which is why I think the 2 year plan is reasonable. Alternatively, continue to work private practice, take August NBME, and apply for 2017 match. If you get in, great. If you don't, then go into a non cat year and apply again in 2018 match. This is still a two year plan but gives a possibility of shaving a year off.

Externships are pretty important for OMFS; would you be able to spent 6 weeks total before applying to go on externships (while working and studying)?

Thanks for all the great advice, yes. I am in a great position where I could do some externships if you think that would be helpful...I just need to search the sdn for some OMFS programs that look like a good fit? Best NBME study materials? Old test banks? Certain Books? I'm sure the answer is on here already in a thread.

Thanks for all the great advice, yes. I am in a great position where I could do some externships if you think that would be helpful...I just need to search the sdn for some OMFS programs that look like a good fit? Best NBME study materials? Old test banks? Certain Books? I'm sure the answer is on here already in a thread.

Pathoma is a great start. USMLE world is a question bank that is a great learning tool and First Aid for the USMLE step 1 is the framework for most all of the information you need. Some people also listen to Goljian lectures or do doctors in training, but I think the top 3 that I listed are sufficient to score well. NBME has released old exams you can purchase but like you said, there is a lot of information on these forums.