Need a Pre med students advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

James401

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i currently obtaining pre physical therapy and actually doing it at a CC. I am almost done and going to transfer to get my BS. What my plan was from the beginning was to obtain my BS in pre physical therapy and obtain any other pre reqs that were needed and take the MCAT. Now i know med school isn't something you just try for, but it actually is what i really want to do just wasn't sure the path to go. Would pre physical therapy work? Or should i obtain something like Biology. I guess I'm looking at the idea that if i don't get into med school i would be almost done with becoming a PT.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Medical schools are more than accepting of majors outside the realm of biology or chemistry. I know of several medical school students who majored in political science or psychology, As long as those pre-reqs are completed with a BA or BS, strong cGPA and sGPA and MCAT stats, you will be golden. A lot of times, showing diversity in your undergrad work (completing science courses for med school while also majoring in something different) looks impressive to med schools. Best of luck to you

Medical schools are more than accepting of majors outside the realm of biology or chemistry. I know of several medical school students who majored in political science or psychology, As long as those pre-reqs are completed with a BA or BS, strong cGPA and sGPA and MCAT stats, you will be golden. A lot of times, showing diversity in your undergrad work (completing science courses for med school while also majoring in something different) looks impressive to med schools. Best of luck to you

Thank you for your input! Okay so as long as i complete all the needed courses for med school then the BS degree could be something like physical therapy like i am doing now.

Thank you for your input! Okay so as long as i complete all the needed courses for med school then the BS degree could be something like physical therapy like i am doing now.

Get your BS in anything you want. Be sure to check out the prerequisite classes at EVERY school where you intend to apply. The classes you need are changing, and so is the MCAT. Make sure you know what you need. For example University of Arizona in Phoenix just put out a list of the new prerequisite classes that are needed to apply there. It included psychology, sociology, and all sorts of other things. Not just the biology and chemistry that most people think about when applying to med school.

Also be informed about the new MCAT if you have to take it. It goes along the same line as the new requirements mentioned above.

Good luck.
dsoz