need a readible ER primer (not think text like Rosen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor7

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start an ER rotation and I need a few recommendations. However, I don't think purchasing a big Rosen or Tintinalli text will be very helpful at this point...maybe later for reference.

What is pretty comprehensive and readible? Also, please mention edition if it matters.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I used the "pocket" Tintanelli (think the editor is Ma?) as my primary reference (great book), and EM Secrets (okay). The EM Pocket Pharmacopeia was useful as a quick reference too.

Blueprints EM is basically Blueprints Family Medicine repackaged...

I thought that Current Emergency Diagnosis and Treatment was good. It was not too wordy = good for students and fairly comprehensive. It cost around $60. It will not fit in your white coat pocket.

I felt that First Aid sucked, but I haven't liked the others in the series, either.

Top 30 Clinical Problems from ACEP is awesome, and in my opinion, worth the cost of membership. It cannot be your only book, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best of the concise texts that I've encountered in Emergency Medicine Secrets. Quite readable, plenty of good info.

How about a text to read between Match Day & residency... or am I getting ahead of myself? Don't get me wrong, I want to enjoy my last few fortnights of freedom, but I also don't want to make 'em wonder "Why'd we rank that one?" during my first month.