Need a realistic review of possible being pre-pod

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousaboutpod

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a browser here for a bit and hoping that a couple of either pre-pod or pod students can help me give a realistic outlook of possibly getting into pod.

A bit of background: I was "pre-med" in undergrad and did terribly in pretty much all math and science (with the exception of gen bio which I managed by with B/B+s). I decided to cut my losses junior year and stopped 2 quarters short of ochem in order to get a decent GPA and get a major so I could find a job after undergrad. I ended up with about a 3.0 cGPA and 2.0sGPA. I took about 6 months between graduation and my first job and in that time frame I took re-took the first semester of ochem at UCI and aced it.

Since then I've been working full time in consulting, but it's been about 3 years and I'm considering heading back down the podiatry path given family and friends around me that have perked my interest in this field. I've been an athlete my whole life and certainly this is an area that I can relate to and believe I can help others. I think I can accomplish the pre-reqs in the next 2 years if I put my head to it, but I'm hoping to gain insight from people who have had gap years and gone back this way.

I'm not in this for the money (as I think I'm decently good at my current job that I would make equivalent to an average podiatrist in the same time frame) I'm looking for a career that I could love instead of sitting crunching numbers all day.

Steps to take:
1. Take the MCAT
2. Assume that I have to retake at least a handful of these science/math class - my biggest concern is I can't quit my job so I would likely have to take online classes. Does anyone know how podiatry schools view these while I work full time?
3. More Shadow and volunteering
4. Anyone have insight into if working helps with the application at all (or offset some pretty ugly GPAs)
5. Also I haven't ever taken psych (or anthro) related classes before

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey, welcome aboard!

I'll do the best I can and hopefully one of the superstars here can build on it, and take it further for you.

Bad grades in the sciences and maths is a common red flag for people to be concerned about. However, I don't think it's a death sentence. You'll certainly not be solving calc III problems in podiatry school. And calc isn't even a requirement for podiatry either. You just need to know enough of the basics. Don't write yourself off because of that.

Your 3.0 cum isn't bad and retaking, taking adittional classes will only boost it (assuming you perform well).

1. depending on the other aspects of your app, you'll have an idea of the score you need to aim for. (Average is around high 490s).

2. You don't necessarily have to retake. I was personally told a C or better for the prereqs. So if you have less than a C, then you have to retake. If you have a C or better, you don't. Since pod schools don't replace grades, it doesn't help you too much to repeat. Try to take upper level classes instead. I needed more than 20 credits to lift my science AND cum so a particular school told me to go for a masters instead. Ask the schools about this and take SDNs advice lightly. (No disrespect to SDN).

The big deal about online is the labs. I'm aware there are legit schools that offer labs with their online classes, but that's the biggest argument people make about online prereqs - the lab component. So email the individual schools about this.

3 & 4. You NEED a letter from a podiatrist, I believe so you must find some time to shadow. It can be knocked out in a day (from my personal experience). I'm not sure working will offset low gpas. Unless it's like I had to work 40+ hours to feed a family while taking 18+ credits. You were young, in college, intimidated by science classes, so bad gpas aren't unheard of. You seem like you matured so just own up to it and don't try to spin it.

5. Those classes aren't hard. Sociology is more writing papers and making life connections with class material. Some quizzes with a few terms. Psych is slightly more challenging than that but it's intersting stuff so you should be entertained enough to do the readings. You can pull Bs since those two classes are usually 101 levels and designed for non-majors, etc.

Overall, podiatry is a nice career. You'll like it. If all else fails, you can fall back on your consulting career. What type of consulting do you do, btw? What field?

And check your PM!

Dr. Phoot has a lot of good advice. Adding on.

1. The higher the better. It'll go a long way in making you look competent, cutting you slack on your GPAs, and maybe even some scholarships.

2. Would not recommend online courses. Would rather you do local CC with lab portion. Even if its not university level, you can bust ass, pull some As, and still get the credits in. It'll look a bit more legitimate than online courses. Cheaper than full blown university as well. If Chem 1-2, Ochem 1-2 were C or lower, retake and get all As. Same with Bio 1-2 and upper level bio like genetics, micro, cell phys, immuno, histol.

3. What Phoot said. If you can find a pod to shadow and develop good rapport, they'll have no trouble writing you a rec letter. Even with just 30-40 hours of shadowing, interviewers are more interested in seeing if you completely understand what goes on in the office/OR, and what you'll see/do as a pod instead of hour many hours you were there. For volunteering quality over quantity. Is there a club/org you've been pretty active in for years? Church group maybe? They care more about that than resume fluff. If not don't worry too much. Your work experience will speak for itself. They just want to see if you're willing to work with patients and have their interests in mind instead of your own.

4. Most interviewers like it when they see non-trads or career changers working. Gives you a leg up from the kid coming straight out of undergrad (nothing on them, heck I wish I had some of their scores). Maturity goes a long way and they can spot it. You working a full time job while still knocking out/retaking pre-reqs and getting some shadowing hours in, they'll respect you for it big time.

5. Psych portion of MCAT was a lot of definitions applied to articles or paragraphs. They'll give you scenario and you tell them which definition/whatever fits best. If you havn't taken psych it is still possible to score well. Buy the PR or Kaplan psych books and study straight off of that.

I know you'll face a lot of difficulties because you're working full time and money is always a thing to watch out for. If you can make time for it, retake those courses and set aside an emergency fund of 2-3 months to prep for the MCAT. No work, just full time practice problems, review, and full length tests on weekends.

Feel free to PM a lot of us on here. Its a friendly crowd.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really appreciate the feedback.

One thing I forgot to mention is I can really only take online classes because I travel almost 100% of the time (a different city every couple months and it can change in a heartbeat). I'm thinking about taking online courses for things like sociology and psych and then hopefully if I get put on a local project I can dedicate a quarter or two to classes that require labs (like Ochem or some upper level bios) at a local community college. Also, do community college offer a lot of weekend classes and evening classes?

Also, if I dedicate 3 months to studying for the MCAT will that be enough? I have no background in psychology (I'm going to try to take an online course in the fundamentals before then) but still...

The only real opportunity I have for clinic hours is the local children's hospital with a pretty cookie cutter volunteer program. I can only pretty much volunteer on weekends (given my schedule)

Also I'm +/- 25 yo now so I'm guessing if I get in (crossing fingers) I'll be close to 30. Is this setting myself up for failure going in a couple years higher than the average matriculate age?

Last edited:

One thing I forgot to mention is I can really only take online classes because I travel almost 100% of the time (a different city every couple months and it can change in a heartbeat). I'm thinking about taking online courses for things like sociology and psych and then hopefully if I get put on a local project I can dedicate a quarter or two to classes that require labs (like Ochem or some upper level bios) at a local community college. Also, do community college offer a lot of weekend classes and evening classes?

Also, if I dedicate 3 months to studying for the MCAT will that be enough? I have no background in psychology (I'm going to try to take an online course in the fundamentals before then) but still...

The only real opportunity I have for clinic hours is the local children's hospital with a pretty cookie cutter volunteer program. I can only pretty much volunteer on weekends (given my schedule)

Also I'm +/- 25 yo now so I'm guessing if I get in (crossing fingers) I'll be close to 30. Is this setting myself up for failure going in a couple years higher than the average matriculate age?

1- Not sure about local CC times. Will have to check with them on your own time.

2- Three months hardcore should be enough. Any longer and you're drawing it out. Soci and psych is the easier of the subjects. I personally struggled in physical sciences. Some people also struggle with CARS.

3- Plenty of people in this thread who are non-trads like you. During interviews there was a good mix of 30-40 somethings who were already married and had children to fresh junior undergrads.

4- Not sure what to tell you with the volunteering. Personally think adcoms care more about quality shadowing time than hospital volunteering.

I don't think you'll need 5 years to finish your prereqs. Two years max. So if you're 25, you won't be 30. The age doesn't matter. People are in their 40s... what should they say? I don't think you're setting yourself up for failure.

How long you should study for the mcat depends on your own strengths as a student. I'm using about 6 months; not a natural at the sciences

E-mail the schools and see if they're cool with online prereqs. Share it with us for future references as someone else might want to know too. Community colleges are known for having schedules that suites working professionals. Look at your local school and see what you can get.

If you can't get a school to accept it, maybe consider a loan to go back to school? I'm sure you'll figure something out.

Volunteering isn't mandatory. Shadowing and getting a recc letter from a podiatrist is. So figure something out for that.

Overall, you'll be just fine. Go ahead and take a chance!

Reactions: 1 user
I called Kent today. The person I spoke with said:

"... so long as when you go online to enter the grades the school shows up, then we'll accept it. We don't handle transcripts directly, everything is done through the system"

My $0.02:

This is (very) good news to all non-trads that are working professionals and can't fit school schedules into work and family time. It's also very convenient and means you'll skip hassles of having to wait your turn until other students pick their classes (assuming you'll be doing your prereqs as a non-matric).

The biggest thing many people tend to forget when it comes to online schools, coursework, classes, degrees is that when it's printed on a paper transcript, it will not say "online". A degree from an online school won't use the word "online" on its diploma writing. No one will have a clue unless you tell them it was online.

Again, take advice from SDN lightly and do your own research. I feel this topic should have its own thread for the future.

Thanks so much for posting that information as it is truly helpful. I agree and will do my own research based on the school, but at least an uplifting start!