Need academic advice and tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globetrotter3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore with junior standing. This last quarter for me was HORRIBLE, and honestly, I got my *ss kicked. It's kind of a new thing for me... I cringe when I look at my grades, and I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Basically, I need to figure out a way to turn it around before it gets any worse. Last year was ok, but not the greatest, and I kept telling myself I would be able to turn it around, pull a 4.0, and all would be forgiven. However, it just kept getting worse, until the end of this quarter when I realized I HAVE to get my GPA up or there is no hope for me (positive thinking right??) :(

I've wanted to be a doctor for so long and I am not ready to give that up. I have great EC's, it's just my grades. And I know for a fact I am capable. I always help others with the coursework, explain it to them, tutor them through it, then they do better in the class than I do.

So, what do you do to get that A? What keeps you studying when you feel ready to break down and quit? How do you convince yourself to study instead of work, or volunteer, or hang out with your friends? How do you turn your brain away from everything else you need to do to get your homework done?
I need to figure out what is SO wrong with my daily routine that I can't manage it right now. Also I feel like it is most definitely only going to get harder, so I need to fix this issue now, not only for my grades but for my sanity. I can't take another term of being beyond stressed out all the time and still not doing remotely well or succeeding at anything in my life.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a sophomore with junior standing. This last quarter for me was HORRIBLE, and honestly, I got my *ss kicked. It's kind of a new thing for me... I cringe when I look at my grades, and I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Basically, I need to figure out a way to turn it around before it gets any worse. Last year was ok, but not the greatest, and I kept telling myself I would be able to turn it around, pull a 4.0, and all would be forgiven. However, it just kept getting worse, until the end of this quarter when I realized I HAVE to get my GPA up or there is no hope for me (positive thinking right??) :(

I've wanted to be a doctor for so long and I am not ready to give that up. I have great EC's, it's just my grades. And I know for a fact I am capable. I always help others with the coursework, explain it to them, tutor them through it, then they do better in the class than I do.

So, what do you do to get that A? What keeps you studying when you feel ready to break down and quit? How do you convince yourself to study instead of work, or volunteer, or hang out with your friends? How do you turn your brain away from everything else you need to do to get your homework done?
I need to figure out what is SO wrong with my daily routine that I can't manage it right now. Also I feel like it is most definitely only going to get harder, so I need to fix this issue now, not only for my grades but for my sanity. I can't take another term of being beyond stressed out all the time and still not doing remotely well or succeeding at anything in my life.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Hi, globetrotter

When I found circumstances especially difficult, I put in the effort to get to know my professors, hoping that I could understand what fascinates them about the material taught. Additionally, when you form that bond, it may make things much easier. We can't always go at it alone. You seem dedicated. Try that out. Good luck

Thank you!!!!!!!

I think it is possible that you could have deep procrastination or depression.

While I am not qualified to diagnose anyone, I did go through a similar situation spring semester of last year.

n/a

Last edited: