Need Adivce: 2 gap years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted404486

ewjlf

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything you want is considered "disadvantaged." I dislike the whole point of that part of the application. It seems that working hard for a year to raise your GPA 0.1 and get nothing else out of it is not the most efficient use of your time. If you're going to be off 2 years and spending money on more education, you may as well get a masters out of it, which would give you a new GPA (higher max potential), research experience, and clinical experience. Research works well. Clinical volunteering is not needed when you're out of college. Just work clinically if that's the path you want.

Have you considered Peace Corps? Great way to bolster your app, get some real world experience, and have a very unique adventure...

Members don't see this ad :)
what these guys said. going back to take easy classes will probably cost more than it's worth and although i'm not an adcom, it does smack of desperation.

Anything you want is considered "disadvantaged." I dislike the whole point of that part of the application. It seems that working hard for a year to raise your GPA 0.1 and get nothing else out of it is not the most efficient use of your time. If you're going to be off 2 years and spending money on more education, you may as well get a masters out of it, which would give you a new GPA (higher max potential), research experience, and clinical experience. Research works well. Clinical volunteering is not needed when you're out of college. Just work clinically if that's the path you want.

I agree the "disadvantaged" part of the app is really vague. Everyone has hardships to deal with. I don't understand how you are suppose to know that your "hardship" crosses the threshold into "disadvantaged"

Yh I kinda don't want to take stupid classes for GPA boosting and Master makes more sense. However I think I am too late to apply b/c I still need to take MCAT.

Have you considered Peace Corps? Great way to bolster your app, get some real world experience, and have a very unique adventure...

I will look into it. It looks pretty solid. But i know certain over protective members of the family will probably have me do something else.

I will look into it. It looks pretty solid. But i know certain over protective members of the family will probably have me do something else.

Compared with lots of other programs, I believe there is very little risk and a lot to gain from doing PC. The backing of the US gov't helps, and from what I've heard from friends who are RPCV's, they really look after you safety-wise - anecdotally, I've heard of helivacs for severe illness, all expenses paid.

Peace Corps is a great option, but not for a gap year or even two. It is a minimum 27 month commitment from the day you start and the application process can take a while by itself.

Additionally, depending on your location going back to the US for interviews could be incredibly expensive as well. I would highly recommend peace corps, but only for those who carefully plan the timing involved with a 27-month term of service.

In terms of safety, they are outstanding about taking care of the PCVs. Both in terms of health and if there is any danger/political strife in the area they are serving. You'd be impressed by how fast they yank the PCVs out of dangerous or even just potentially dangerous situations.

hm. believe it or not, i'm in the same situation as you. if it were me, i'd getthe mcat out of the way, STAT. that doesn't mean rush into things, but just get that done first. then take a year or two to get some real world experience. TFA, PeaceCorps, are all good. But also, if you work in a hospital, EMT, whatever, that's good stuff too. you can definately make a stronger pitch that grades honestly don't speak for the bigger picture.

to me, if you're interested in programs, i'd do TFA or Americorps if you're interested in American health, and PeaceCorps if you're a Global Health kind of guy. that way you can see for yourself and get the most fufilling experience possible.

For me, i decided to get a job, actually three of them-working in an ER as a tech, working in healthcare administration, and being a tutor. It's been a long road, but lots of stuff to talk about nonetheless. Don't rush into things, and carefully think things through. Also, as advice on sdn mentions, if you're taking nontrad route, definitely get your stuff together by june. don't wait throughout the summer to get your stuff in. people like us with lower gpas need to send stuff in so we have the best odds of getting in. cheers.

Peace Corps is a great option, but not for a gap year or even two. It is a minimum 27 month commitment from the day you start and the application process can take a while by itself.

Additionally, depending on your location going back to the US for interviews could be incredibly expensive as well. I would highly recommend peace corps, but only for those who carefully plan the timing involved with a 27-month term of service.

In terms of safety, they are outstanding about taking care of the PCVs. Both in terms of health and if there is any danger/political strife in the area they are serving. You'd be impressed by how fast they yank the PCVs out of dangerous or even just potentially dangerous situations.

If the Peace Corps commitment is too much (either due to the requirements or due to serving overseas), Americorps is a great alternative. They do have health-related programs, but the range of what they offer is pretty broad (working with kids, habitat for humanity, homeless shelters, etc.). The programs last a year, but you can always sign up for a second year, and a few of the positions that involve leading other corps members actually require at a least a year in the program. You get some flexibility for interviews too. It's my plan for next year.

hm. believe it or not, i'm in the same situation as you. if it were me, i'd getthe mcat out of the way, STAT. that doesn't mean rush into things, but just get that done first. then take a year or two to get some real world experience. TFA, PeaceCorps, are all good. But also, if you work in a hospital, EMT, whatever, that's good stuff too. you can definately make a stronger pitch that grades honestly don't speak for the bigger picture.

to me, if you're interested in programs, i'd do TFA or Americorps if you're interested in American health, and PeaceCorps if you're a Global Health kind of guy. that way you can see for yourself and get the most fufilling experience possible.

For me, i decided to get a job, actually three of them-working in an ER as a tech, working in healthcare administration, and being a tutor. It's been a long road, but lots of stuff to talk about nonetheless. Don't rush into things, and carefully think things through. Also, as advice on sdn mentions, if you're taking nontrad route, definitely get your stuff together by june. don't wait throughout the summer to get your stuff in. people like us with lower gpas need to send stuff in so we have the best odds of getting in. cheers.

Write MCAT, join peacecorps - then if you don't get in on your first try, your MCAT expires.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys !!!

I am leaning towards getting MCAT done first then join an Americorps program.

I am not sure if I am considered a non-trad applicant. I am "technically" just applying my senior year of college.