Need Advice: 1 week before test day!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dL8910

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be re-writing my MCAT exam for the second time on August 6, 2009. I did not allocate enough time for practice questions and studying last summer, and as a result, performed poorly. I also scored much lower than my average last year (avg of 11, 7, 10 Q). I scored 8 7 9 Q.

I have put in quite a bit of time into the VR section this summer. I have completed 12 of the 14 EK 101 VR tests, completed about 8 KAPLAN VR tests and have also done ~20 passages from Princeton's VR book.

I have been averaging 30-32 this year on both AAMC and KAPLAN exams but in the last week, my VR has started to fall. I scored 13 7 12 today (AAMC#8) and scored a 6 in VR two days ago (AAMC#7)! I have normally been averaging an 8-9 in VR.

I am very concerned about this sudden drop in VR score. I'm not sure what to do. I may be reading the VR passages differently now that I have been focusing on more full-length practice exams, albeit, I haven't noticed much change in my strategy. I just don't seem to understand the passages as thoroughly as I used to... As a result, answering the questions have been difficult :(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

i had the exact same thing happen to me.. i was consistently doing 10+ on verbal and shortly before my test my verbal scores dropped off

i attributed it to stress and pressure.. which i do think it was, but unfortunately this trend of stress and poor verbal scores continued into my real test.

that being said, the only thing i can recommend is to relax as much as possible and go in as stress free as possible, if u were scoring like that before consistently then you are clearly capable of it and i think the low scores are a result of environmental pressures. try to make sure they don't effect u on the real thing...