need advice.. 27 with 4 on verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaoming315

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took the mcat on aug 2006 and made a 24N, (8phy, 7 vrb, 9bio). I was very uneasy and just didnt feel right. I applied and sent in everything before the mcat, so with that low of a score, I did not get in.
but i retook it in january, and i didnt feel like i was THAT much more prepared than the first time and i made a 27R (11phy, 4 vb, 12bio). Obviously im a little frustrated with the 4, but i improved 3 points on my other section. I plan on retaking the mcat on late may, so my new mcat score will be available late june. What do you guys think i should do regarding this? I wanted to send in my complete application as early as possible, as soon as TMDSAS opens up, but with this mediocere score on the mcat, should i wait till my new mcat score comes in or apply early and indicate on my application that i'am retaking it on may? I'm just afraid that if i apply with 27, they will put me on hold for the new mcat, and when the new score comes in, my application will actually be even later when they finally look at it with the new mcat score. What is my best bet regarding this? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry, friend, but you should definitely take it again. While your BS and PS are good, both verbals are pretty poor.

I'am going to retake it again. The question is if I should apply early, with the 27 and mention that i will be retaking it on late may, or apply after i get the new scores. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'am going to retake it again. The question is if I should apply early, with the 27 and mention that i will be retaking it on late may, or apply after i get the new scores. thanks

Yes. Apply early (submit essays, mark that you are taking the May MCAT, etc.) When you release your scores to TMDSAS, the schools will see the scores from ALL your tests. If you wait to submit your application until scores from the May test are released, you'll definitely be behind (according to the SDN crowd). Good Luck!

i took mine on jan 27, on a monday, and the error did not apply to me. I wished it did.

Do any of the schools you're applying to take the best score from each section to determine your MCAT score. If so, apply to them while your preparing to reapply, just in case.

you guys think taking it on may 31 is too late to apply for 08? thanks

Do not rush retaking it until you are confident that your scores will be reflective of what you can do. That was my biggest mistake, now I'm a 25 year old with no future. I'm not kidding. Take it when you are SURE you are ready.

can you share your story? how were yr mcat scores? thanks

does anybody think that it is possible to get an interview with a 4? will it even pass most school's cutoff range? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with all the above advice. I have to say I find your score breakdown to be almost unbelievable...statistically and technically speaking. Most people have slight 1-2 point variation between the sections. A 4 with and 11 and 12 seems like it should raise a red flag somewhere. If I were the test master...yours would probably havenbeen a test I would have reviewed in person just to be sure there was no error. And I would have definitely reviewed the testing center video.

If that is alright then I think you should see where the red flag is in yourself with the verbal section. I am not trying to be rude at all here...but is there any chance you have a testing barrier like language issue, learning disability. or something....i really am NOT trying to be rude or personal just think all things should be explored because your score has a very unusual spread.

Anyway good luck and hope things go better.

no.. my english is fine. verbal is my weakness, but definately not a 4. I don't know what to do. More like a 7, at worst a 6. When i take practice it fluctuates between 7-10 (rarely 10 though). Is it worth me asking it to be regraded?

i just want to vent.. but a 4 is almost random bubbling. :mad:

i just want to vent.. but a 4 is almost random bubbling. :mad:

That was the first thought that crossed my mind. Maybe you accidentally skipped a line so every other line was off after that?

i just sent out for regrading. I don't know about missing/skipping a line because it was computerized. if it was a mistake, i feel that they might have graded my verbal against the jan 27th verbal, but i took the jan 29th one. I don't know what else to do. I've registered to retake it on may 31st, but i just need a piece of mind that the four was really what i earned, although it is very difficult for me to believe that.

i just sent out for regrading. I don't know about missing/skipping a line because it was computerized. if it was a mistake, i feel that they might have graded my verbal against the jan 27th verbal, but i took the jan 29th one. I don't know what else to do. I've registered to retake it on may 31st, but i just need a piece of mind that the four was really what i earned, although it is very difficult for me to believe that.
If you were scoring 7-10 in your practices, you definitely shouldn't question your ability to get atleast an 8 or a 9 on the real thing. Just keep on practicing and identifying your mistakes.

Do not rush retaking it until you are confident that your scores will be reflective of what you can do. That was my biggest mistake, now I'm a 25 year old with no future. I'm not kidding. Take it when you are SURE you are ready.
Don't be so hard on yourself! Didn't you apply to DO schools also. Thanks for your comment on my mdapps.

A 4 on VR will not get you into any medical school, at least not any U.S. Adcoms see it and are red-flagged, as it could correlate to a poor performance on a USMLE. I'm just being honest and straightforward here. You are obviously smart scientifically, but really need to practice verbal. Best of luck, and I'm sure you'll make a great doctor.

Hopefully it should be realized that a big portion of the biology section is reading comprehension and so is Physical (although not as much). I'm just hoping that it was some kind of error (maybe loading somebody else's verbal score). In the mean time, I guess i'm restudying for the MCAT again. I hate my life.

Anybody know when is the earliest texas schools start interviews? how about out of state schools? thanks

hey yaoming. please study for your next MCAT. you won't improve your verbal score by roaming sdn.

Hopefully it should be realized that a big portion of the biology section is reading comprehension and so is Physical (although not as much). I'm just hoping that it was some kind of error (maybe loading somebody else's verbal score). In the mean time, I guess i'm restudying for the MCAT again. I hate my life.

Anybody know when is the earliest texas schools start interviews? how about out of state schools? thanks

I think with early apps-- that are acceptable-- interviews may begin in early July (in TX). It's a shame that you have to take it again with good science scores, but just apply and plan on taking it again. I vaguely remember an MCATer who sat the written test with me who told me of a friend who had to defend his VR score at his interview, but I believe it was about a 6 or 7. This seems to be a fluke considering your BS section is good. Maybe it was concentration or falling into traps because of thinking about your previous section. Whatever it is, I am sure that you will get the score that you were meant to get (or practiced/anticipated).
But, you should submit your app and check retake on the app, and see how it goes.
:luck:

thanks for the positive note. I'll reply back within a month to see how the regrade goes and what AAMC sends to people that requests regrades.

I think with early apps-- that are acceptable-- interviews may begin in early July (in TX). It's a shame that you have to take it again with good science scores, but just apply and plan on taking it again. I vaguely remember an MCATer who sat the written test with me who told me of a friend who had to defend his VR score at his interview, but I believe it was about a 6 or 7. This seems to be a fluke considering your BS section is good. Maybe it was concentration or falling into traps because of thinking about your previous section. Whatever it is, I am sure that you will get the score that you were meant to get (or practiced/anticipated).
But, you should submit your app and check retake on the app, and see how it goes.
:luck:

In TX, the min section score is 7 even for URM. In general 7 seems to be the magic number for most US schools. The OP will definitely need to get a higher number before re-applying. It is generally not a good idea to apply/re-apply until your application is competitive since each failed rejection is a black mark against you. Good luck!