Need Advice: 3.38 cgpa, 3.26 sgpa plus other details....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

citrusguy2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First off, thanks for taking a look at my post. I just graduated UCLA with a degree in Biology and a minor in Political Science and am going to get my MPH next year at Columbia in Epidemiology. I'll be applying to med school June 2011 (probably on the 1st day) for Fall 2012 admission and am open to both MD and DO (but preferably MD because I'm really interested in doing academic medicine also would try to get into an allo residency if I was a DO) and not really considering Caribbean schools. I have CA residency and am trying to see if I can get NY residency as well. Here are the details:

3.38 cgpa - 2 C's and 3 C+'s with most of them in my first year (mostly because I was going through personal stuff and didn't really adjust that quickly to college - I had a 2.8 going into my second year) but grades rose each year and tapered during my last two quarters.

Question: I'm planning to take two undergrad BCPM classes at Columbia as a graduate student - would those grades be calculated into my undergrad GPA? Some people said it would count as a post bacc (which in that case should raise my GPA to a 3.4 cgpa and a 3.3sgpa) and would that be how AAMCAS calculate it (I used the AAMCAS spreadsheet I found online and that's how I got the GPAs I got)?

Also, would all those C's end up hurting me? Basically I'm just wondering with my stats is it even worth it to apply or would I just be the joke...Also, if I do really well in my grad program in my first year would that help?

Haven't taken my MCAT yet - but any suggestions as to what range I should be shooting for? Planning to take it on July 30th.

Really good extracurriculars (clinical, research, non med related) and a publication plus hopefully a few more on the way (I know it lacks detail but I can provide it if it's necessary). Strong letters of rec.

And if I have any other burning questions I'll post on. Thanks in advance for all your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Since you have completed your degree program, the two courses would count as post-bacc but should still be a part of your science GPA if they are science courses. Since you have a good trend in your GPA, an in-state admissions committee may be willing to overlook that as long you have a fairly good MCAT score. Aim for double digits in all section as a minimum. Grad students seem to have a slightly easier time getting in that people fresh out of undergrad because they have more "life experience". Good luck on the application process!

Your stats aren't that bad. In fact, had you posted this earlier, I would have recommended doing a post-bacc and take more undergraduate science classes--you could raise your cGPA to a near 3.5 and sGPA to 3.4 (rough estimations). However, you were a bio major, and there's probably not a lot of science electives left for you to take.

I think you'd have a good shot a DO schools, but since you're focused on MD schools, then I'd aim for a 30+ MCAT (ideally 33-35). MD schools do not factor in graduate GPA (unless it is an SMP). DO, on the other hand, will calculate your grad GPA into your overall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing well in an MPH is unlikely to help you in the allopathic med school application process other than by providing for research and teaching opportunities if you lack them. (I've read that an MPH is helpful during the residency application process though.)

Coursework taken during the time you're in the grad program that is not a requirement for that degree, is listed as Postbac and will be included in the total cummulative undergrad GPA.

If you end up with a 3.4 uGPA, then an MCAT of 33+ is a good aim. Some Cs in the first year are less likely to be remarked, and some schools give less weight to the first year GPA. A steep upward grade trend will help you. Getting As in the planned BCPM courses is a must for you.

With some weak numbers, your ECs need to be strong. Try to have nonmedical/noncampus community service, leadership, teaching, hobbies, along with the usual and customary shadowing and clinical experience. A pub is very helpful.

thanks all! this is better news than what i had hoped for so it's definitely a plus for me.

@catalystik - I do have some pretty strong medical EC's and will probably have two publications (in undergrad journals) by the time I apply next year. I have pretty good clinical experiences and work directly with the school of medicine at with residents in different specialities with their patient communication skills. i'm also involved with student government in various offices. and of course, been doing research in biology but also pathology as well. it's my numbers that i'm most worried about.