Jul 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi I need some advice about applying for the 2009-2010 academic year. My MCAT was a 31O (10 VR, 11 PS, 10 BS). My science GPA is 3.63 and overall GPA is 3.71. I have volunteered in an emergency room for 200 hours, shadowed a cardiologist, have research experience in cosmochemistry, and am currently volunteering in the children psychiatric ward. I submitted my AMCAS application on June 16 and took the MCAT in June.

Should I retake the MCAT to get atleast a 32?

I am looking to apply to:
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Stonybrook
New York Medical College
Drexel University Medical School
Jefferson Medical College
Creighton University
Tulane University
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Loyola University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin University School of Medicine
Wake Forest University

Should I apply to these schools with an MCAT of 31 O or should I retake it to get a 32 in August?

I would appreciate all your advice. :)

danny317

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I think you have a shot at getting accepted somewhere. I don't think there's much of a difference between a 31 and a 32.

In your case, I think you risk more by retaking.

good luck!

danny317

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
one more thing... it seems like your a NY resident.id check out the OOS acceptance rates at MC Wisc. if they're low id probably just not apply there bc it would be a waste of money.

good luck!

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi I need some advice about applying for the 2009-2010 academic year. My MCAT was a 31O (10 VR, 11 PS, 10 BS). My science GPA is 3.63 and overall GPA is 3.71. I have volunteered in an emergency room for 200 hours, shadowed a cardiologist, have research experience in cosmochemistry, and am currently volunteering in the children psychiatric ward. I submitted my AMCAS application on June 16 and took the MCAT in June.

SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Stonybrook
New York Medical College
Creighton University
Tulane University
Georgetown University
Loyola University
Wake Forest University

Should I apply to these schools with an MCAT of 31 O or should I retake it to get a 32 in August?

You need a minimum 33 on a retake, preferably 34. The difference between 31 and 32 is more or less zilch.

I'm not sure how extensive those ECs are - they don't sound too thrilling, unless you have done something with that research, meaning presented/published. Still, with your 31, I think you will land a few interviews, and if you do well there, I wouldn't be surprised if you are accepted somewhere - it may be off a waitlist.

ZeusonRoids

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2009
Status
Medical Student

SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Stonybrook
New York Medical College
Creighton University
Tulane University
Georgetown University
Loyola University
Wake Forest University

Look at my MDapps...Very similar stats and I had a lot of success at some of the schools on your list.

I do not think you really need to re-take to get into these schools (although a higher MCAT never hurts). Unless you significantly improve (get at least 2-3 pts. higher) and KNOW that you can do that...I dont think it will have enough of an impact on your application to outweigh applying late (or having your app looked at later) while you wait for your scores.