Need advice about rec situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedPremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The status of my recommendation letters is potentially disasterous. Basically at this point, I have one rec from my research professor. I might be able to squeeze out another rec from one of the science courses I took last sem (although it was a lab class). As you can tell from my tone, I don't have the greatest options to choose from. My science courses have generally been large and, admittedly, I'm not the type of student to go to office hours strictly for small chat. Unfortunately, the office hours of my science professors this semester don't align with my schedule so I have two questions:

1. What's a good way to get to know a professor w/o going to office hours?
2. What's the optimal 3 letter combo that will satisfy most med schools' requirements (2 science + 1 non science? 3 science letters? 1 science, 1 non science, 1 non-professor, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

The status of my recommendation letters is potentially disasterous. Basically at this point, I have one rec from my research professor. I might be able to squeeze out another rec from one of the science courses I took last sem (although it was a lab class). As you can tell from my tone, I don't have the greatest options to choose from. My science courses have generally been large and, admittedly, I'm not the type of student to go to office hours strictly for small chat. Unfortunately, the office hours of my science professors this semester don't align with my schedule so I have two questions:

2. What's the optimal 3 letter combo that will satisfy most med schools' requirements (2 science + 1 non science? 3 science letters? 1 science, 1 non science, 1 non-professor, etc.)?

1. Maybe participate in class if the lecture size is not too large. You really should make some attempt to visit office hours once in a while so the prof will know your face. Just make sure they know who you are really. You can provide them with a resume, etc. if they are willing to write the letter.

2. Try to go with 2 science and 1 non-science and add the research in there for good measure. Some add a letter from a volunteer or work to show well roundedness.

Aside from what Chyme said, which is good advice, many professors are open to making appointments for those students whose schedules conflict with office hours. Shoot 'em an email.

I'm not a huge office hours fan (in the sciences at least)....I either felt I was solid with the material and didn't have any real questions or was so overwhelmed with material I didn't even know what questions *to* ask....but this LOR-grooming has gotta be done, and even a few encounters with a prof is enough to make you memorable. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice guys. Any others are always welcome.

I also never went to office hours. Just try to sit near the front and maybe ask a few questions during class... but try not to be "that guy."