Hierophant

2+ Year Member
May 25, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I requested a LOR from a science professor. We had a positive meeting to discuss my application, and he expressed he would be able to write a positive letter. He missed a couple deadlines and then didn't respond to my emails for over a week. Decided to try his office phone and when I finally did get in touch with him, it was not a positive exchange. I called his office phone 5 consecutive times because in the voicemail he listed a number for a preferred voicemail that I had trouble hearing. 5 calls later I eventually made it out and called the preferred voicemail to leave a message. He actually picked up and was practically seething. He was quite irritated and short with me and snapped, "I understand I am behind on the letter and I will get it done, the only reason I picked up is because I'm in the middle of a conference call and you called me 5 times." Told him I appreciated his time and got off the phone ASAP.

My gut is telling me to abandon this letter, but that would leave me short 1 science letter and starting this process with another letter writer would have me complete around mid to end of September.

I would appreciate any advice.

Reactions: leonardoson

leonardoson

2+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
This is entertaining at the expense of a LOR.

Here's a couple lines of thinking.
He's pissed and now thinks less of you than he did before. I don't think he would say anything negative but he could leave out positive ideas. He may now feel rushed and bust out a quick and short LOR just for you to leave him alone, whereas otherwise he might have taken the time to flesh out a good LOR.
OR
He will be calm after the conference call and realize this is an extremely important time of your life and be completely understanding and see this as a positive trait of persistence.

Tough call

Reactions: Hierophant
OP
Hierophant

Hierophant

2+ Year Member
May 25, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
He will be calm after the conference call and realize this is an extremely important time of your life and be completely understanding and see this as a positive trait of persistence.
I want to live in the fantasy where this is the case.

Reactions: leonardoson