Need advice: accept a new job to become a clinical research coordinator or should I keep my current job? Thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonxlime

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I need some advice... so I received an offer to work as a clinical research coordinator, however I would like to know how impressive would this look on my application?

I will be a non-trad applicant this year applying both MD and DO. I've worked as a scientist in a non-clinical environment for over 5 years. So the majority of my work experience is NON-clinical.

I have 55 hours shadowing, 265 hours scribing (clinical experience), 80 hours of hospital volunteering and 48 hours of working as a scribe at a free clinic. I'm worried this seems low and that's what motivated me to start applying to clinical research coordinator jobs.

The pros of taking this clinical research coordinator job is I would have the opportunity to work on clinical research and have some patient interaction, which I'd like more of since it's been difficult to come across these opportunities with COVId.

The cons are lack of work schedule flexibility, a massive pay cut compared to my current job (resulting in no lingering being able to save up money for medical school) and I will no longer have time to volunteer as a scribe at a free clinic ( which I really enjoy).

What do you guys think? I greatly appreciate your help and let me know if you need any more information. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

CRC positions are really common for med school applicants to have for 1-3 years before medical school. I wouldn’t say that the position itself will enhance your application by much but may give you access to other things: research publications, more shadowing, physician LORs, ties to a school program etc. Given your scribe experience, you likely have the clinical exposure you need to demonstrate that you are familiar with the medical field.

When I was in my postbac I considered leaving education for a CRC position but ultimately decided against it. In my case it would’ve been a 45% pay cut, huge reduction in schedule flexibility, and less time to study/take classes. While that was my case, it will be up to you to decide if the benefits outweigh the cons.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a CRA now. I'd say it depends on your needs. If you're taking classes, I'd say keep the higher paying job to afford classes and eventually your app cycle. Even if not, I'd say your past clinical experiences (scribing etc) is sufficient and you'll be just fine with your current job. I love my job, don't get me wrong. It's a good balance between patient interaction and research but at the end of the game, it's all about your grades and MCAT. And if I could get a higher pay to help with my cost of living, coursework and applications, boy, I'd go for it lol

Mind you, some CRC positions may be more research than patient-centered and even for those studies where you are seeing "patients", they are really just participants (who were patients) coming in through an appointment. I see in-patient folks but I realize that may not be in the great majority.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both! This was helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a CRA now. I'd say it depends on your needs. If you're taking classes, I'd say keep the higher paying job to afford classes and eventually your app cycle. Even if not, I'd say your past clinical experiences (scribing etc) is sufficient and you'll be just fine with your current job. I love my job, don't get me wrong. It's a good balance between patient interaction and research but at the end of the game, it's all about your grades and MCAT. And if I could get a higher pay to help with my cost of living, coursework and applications, boy, I'd go for it lol

Mind you, some CRC positions may be more research than patient-centered and even for those studies where you are seeing "patients", they are really just participants (who were patients) coming in through an appointment. I see in-patient folks but I realize that may not be in the great majority.
Hi! how did you get the job? I'm curious about your credentials. I've been searching for info about the profession an i'm intrigued. Would apreciate any info or tips.

Hi! how did you get the job? I'm curious about your credentials. I've been searching for info about the profession an i'm intrigued. Would apreciate any info or tips.
I was just plain lucky. I was an unpaid intern a few years before starting. Someone left the team thus there was an opening. Folks remembered me (guess I left a good impression) and called me to ask if I wanted to work there.

I'd say if you have the privilege to do so, offer yourself to volunteer to labs. It may not guarantee a job there later down the road but you are building up your resume which you can use to one day apply for openings.

If you have any relevant experience from undergrad, try your luck with openings directly. You can find them on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, etc.
Hope that helps a little!