Need advice and help please...low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellenti

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!,
My name is Ellenti and I would like to start off saying that my family values education very highly. I am the first member of my family to have a chance to go to school and prepare for my future. I am academically- excelled, receiving honors and recognitions, but after graduating high school, everything went downhill due to family and financial reasons. Currently I am finishing my BS Biology degree and studying the GRE and MCAT. My transcripts have A's B's C's D's F's W's with a UGPA of about 2.5 and scgpa less than that with a total of 163 hours and 180 attempted hours. (I uploaded my unofficial transcripts just in case anyone wants to know it lol) Extracurricular activities are set and good to go, along with work experience and shadowing etc. But the grades just kill me. I know that I have what it takes to succeed and things are much better now. What should I do? Im upset and lost and cant sleep. Should I or can I even apply for a Masters program? Postbacc, I cannot afford.

Members don't see this ad.

If youre applying to DO school, I think many people here would say retake any classes that you got C's or below at CC or DIY post bacc. you might need to expand that range to C+ perhaps B- or lower For retakes. And just do well on MCAT. Get spa and cgpa above 3.0 prefer 3.2 then apply.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone!,
My name is Ellenti and I would like to start off saying that my family values education very highly. I am the first member of my family to have a chance to go to school and prepare for my future. I am academically- excelled, receiving honors and recognitions, but after graduating high school, everything went downhill due to family and financial reasons. Currently I am finishing my BS Biology degree and studying the GRE and MCAT. My transcripts have A's B's C's D's F's W's with a UGPA of about 2.5 and scgpa less than that with a total of 163 hours and 180 attempted hours. (I uploaded my unofficial transcripts just in case anyone wants to know it lol) Extracurricular activities are set and good to go, along with work experience and shadowing etc. But the grades just kill me. I know that I have what it takes to succeed and things are much better now. What should I do? Im upset and lost and cant sleep. Should I or can I even apply for a Masters program? Postbacc, I cannot afford.

POSTBAC, Prove you can do well again.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I highly suggest not studying for both the GRE and MCAT at the same time. Focus on retaking classes, then study for the MCAT. Doing poorly on both is worse than taking a while to do well.

If youre applying to DO school, I think many people here would say retake any classes that you got C's or below at CC or DIY post bacc. you might need to expand that range to C+ perhaps B- or lower For retakes. And just do well on MCAT. Get spa and cgpa above 3.0 prefer 3.2 then apply.
This seems like your only option OP. Good luck

Either one. Strongly suggest that you retake all F/D/C science coursework and let grade replacement do it's thing.

Should I or can I even apply for a Masters program? Postbacc, I cannot afford.[/QUOTE]

Yeah at this point you gotta prove that you can handle the coursework. I agree with the advice here. There are many routes you can take to do this. I would imagine retaking select coursework at a community college might be the most cost-efficient.

Should I or can I even apply for a Masters program? Postbacc, I cannot afford.

As someone who has been in your shoes (graduated college with a sub-3.0 GPA)... I can relate. I was told by everyone that I'd never get into med school, and honestly, I spent way too much energy worrying about it. The best advice I can give is that if medicine is your true passion, don't worry about the past, don't get bogged down in the negativity, and just focus on re-taking those C, D, F, and W courses. I completed both a post-bac and a master's, so below I'll provide you with my thoughts on each for your situation.

POST-BAC
Contrary to popular belief, post-bacs can be affordable if you independently complete classes piecemeal through a major university's extension school or through a local state school (in other words, NOT through one of those structured full-time programs). My most recent part-time post-bac stint at a top school cost $1250-$2500 per semester (including books), which is manageable with a part-time job. From experience, I found that it's best to start off taking no more than 2 classes your first semester (if you're also working), then bump it up to 3 the following semester if you are happy with your work-academic balance. If you're also studying for the MCAT, I wouldn't take more than 1-2 classes while working part-time, and those classes should be in MCAT-relevent areas.

The downside of doing it piecemeal is that you will have to be very self-motivated (but it's something med students need anyway), you may not have any of those 'feeder school' perks that the full-time candidates will, and it will take A LOT longer. For me, the piecemeal post-bac was worth it because I couldn't afford attending full-time AND it allowed me to concomitantly gain incredible work/life experience that really opened doors later on in my career. So even if you do a 'cheaper' unstructured post-bac like I did, it will nevertheless be counted towards your pre-med GPA, and it can lead to some pretty incredible places. So in short... My biased opinion is: if you really want to go to med school and are short on cash, do an unstructured post-bac to boost that GPA and work experience. :)

MASTER'S DEGREE
Beware. Unless it's a special master's program (which is similar to a full-time post-bac in terms of price), or a very science-heavy master's, few medical schools will be impressed with a 4.0 Master's GPA (only one of my MPH classes contributed to my pre-med GPA). Master's programs are extremely expensive (mine would've cost $130,000 without scholarships!) and provide very little pay increase considering their hefty price tags. Large scholarships for Master's are few and far-between, so unless you're already a very unique applicant, you will need to take some time to really bolster your resume to be eligible for an 'almost' full-ride or a full-ride (and even then, you have to be very proactive about finding money).

So if you do go the non-SMP/science-heavy Master's route, do it because you want to incorporate that degree in your future career as it won't boost your pre-med GPA as much as a post-bac will, and it will be VERY expensive if you do not put yourself in a favorable position to earn scholarships. About 20 of my classmates in my MPH program paid full price to attend for the sole purpose of gaining admission into med school, and ultimately, only 2 of them were admitted. As a result, most of them ended up with six-figures of debt, no med school acceptance, and no lifelong interest in their master's degree... Not good. Moral of the story: aside from the exceptions noted above, I highly recommend AGAINST pursuing a master's as a means to gain admission into medical school. Get a master's if you 1.) can afford it either through scholarships or independent wealth and 2.) if you truly believe you will gain value from that degree regardless of whether or not you'll become a physician.

Hope some of this advice about the two academic options were helpful. While I LOVED my Master's program, I found the post-bac to be most beneficial in terms of med school admissions and it's what I'd recommend for you. In short, if you want to go to med school, you CAN and WILL do it if you work hard on grade replacements, gain more life experience, and submit a strong/cohesive application early in the cycle. With discipline, perseverance, and time-management you CAN reach your dreams. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Retakes are your friend. For future reference, I wouldn't recommend posting all your grades. Should try to be more anonymous.

Close friend said retakes helped a lot (he didn't do well his first two years).

The amount of Ws do bother me. Were they because of extenuating circumstances?

In my opinion, multiple Ws (especially over 5) may raise some eyebrows. I believe you have 7.

I personally had only one W in a non science DO course very early in my college career. I was a freshman and felt overwhelmed during my first few terms.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone! I just got home and was so excited in seeing if anyone took their time to reply. And I saw a bunch, so I want to thank everyone sincerely. The masters thing does scare me, it seems expensive and not as beneficial as post bac. I may redo my biology, chemistry, organic, and physics the other science courses, but I feel that they may look down on me and wonder why so many retakes. Will classes at community colleges be ok?

Thanks everyone! I just got home and was so excited in seeing if anyone took their time to reply. And I saw a bunch, so I want to thank everyone sincerely. The masters thing does scare me, it seems expensive and not as beneficial as post bac. I may redo my biology, chemistry, organic, and physics the other science courses, but I feel that they may look down on me and wonder why so many retakes. Will classes at community colleges be ok?

Yes.

Will classes at community colleges be ok?

Yes, but if you have more than one option, definitely price-shop.

Most of the time, community college will be the least expensive option. But in my area, the local community college's pre-med classes cost double what my local top tier university's extension school charges. So if you have multiple programs in your area, check the costs of your desired classes at the individual schools-- you might be surprised by the price differences. If another non-JC program is less expensive, then why not?

Good luck.

I may redo my biology, chemistry, organic, and physics the other science courses, but I feel that they may look down on me and wonder why so many retakes.

Of course, med schools will prefer someone without retakes-- but it's not all doom-and-gloom. I retook lots of pre-med courses, and have plenty of Ws. Undergrad was just not a good time in my life. Don't worry about the undergrad grades you can't change.... Start worrying if you start getting those Cs, Ds, Fs, and Ws in post-bac.

Just focus on getting straight As and strengthening the rest of your app from here on out. Some med schools will forgive a poor undergrad performance if you dominate post-bac (and beyond), get a solid MCAT score, and show them how you learned from your mistakes. When applying, many schools unfortunately still fixated on that sub-3.0 that I got a decade ago, whereas others thankfully focused on the 4.0s I've been getting these past few years. In the end, it was the latter that mattered. Again, it won't be easy, it will take a LOT of time (years) and hard work, but it's feasible. There are plenty of people on SDN who can attest to this.

I'm thinking about taking my prereqs again Bio/Chem/Phys except Orgo this fall and spring while studying for MCAT and if all A's will apply for fall 2016. I did some calculation and grade replacement what-ifs. I will fall right at 2.9-3.0 ugpa with strong extracurricular and work experience and shadowing experience.

I'm thinking about taking my prereqs again Bio/Chem/Phys except Orgo this fall and spring while studying for MCAT and if all A's will apply for fall 2016. I did some calculation and grade replacement what-ifs. I will fall right at 2.9-3.0 ugpa with strong extracurricular and work experience and shadowing experience.
One year won't be enough. You are going to need to produce multiple years of strong grades.

I was planning to do a masters 2 years program. But now I'm just worried that if I do get in somewhere that it would be just a waste of time and money. If I plan on Postbac first year with prereqs and 2nd year with higher science courses and redoing them, do you think I will have a chance?

Don't worry about the number of C's or W's you got. I have 7 W's as well and I'm 2 yrs removed from school. I used those 2 yrs to work, experience life, and think about the mistakes I made in the past. You are competing against yourself and those who have never made any mistakes (don't compare yourself to anybody though) Focus on getting A's from here on out.
I was thinking about a 2 years Masters, but now i changed my mind because I dont think it is the most efficient way to go. I will use those 2 years to retake the prereqs and upper level bio courses that I didnt do well in, hopefully ACE them and do well on the MCAT, then apply.

As someone who has been in your shoes (graduated college with a sub-3.0 GPA)... I can relate. I was told by everyone that I'd never get into med school, and honestly, I spent way too much energy worrying about it. The best advice I can give is that if medicine is your true passion, don't worry about the past, don't get bogged down in the negativity, and just focus on re-taking those C, D, F, and W courses. I completed both a post-bac and a master's, so below I'll provide you with my thoughts on each for your situation.

POST-BAC
Contrary to popular belief, post-bacs can be affordable if you independently complete classes piecemeal through a major university's extension school or through a local state school (in other words, NOT through one of those structured full-time programs). My most recent part-time post-bac stint at a top school cost $1250-$2500 per semester (including books), which is manageable with a part-time job. From experience, I found that it's best to start off taking no more than 2 classes your first semester (if you're also working), then bump it up to 3 the following semester if you are happy with your work-academic balance. If you're also studying for the MCAT, I wouldn't take more than 1-2 classes while working part-time, and those classes should be in MCAT-relevent areas.

The downside of doing it piecemeal is that you will have to be very self-motivated (but it's something med students need anyway), you may not have any of those 'feeder school' perks that the full-time candidates will, and it will take A LOT longer. For me, the piecemeal post-bac was worth it because I couldn't afford attending full-time AND it allowed me to concomitantly gain incredible work/life experience that really opened doors later on in my career. So even if you do a 'cheaper' unstructured post-bac like I did, it will nevertheless be counted towards your pre-med GPA, and it can lead to some pretty incredible places. So in short... My biased opinion is: if you really want to go to med school and are short on cash, do an unstructured post-bac to boost that GPA and work experience. :)

MASTER'S DEGREE
Beware. Unless it's a special master's program (which is similar to a full-time post-bac in terms of price), or a very science-heavy master's, few medical schools will be impressed with a 4.0 Master's GPA (only one of my MPH classes contributed to my pre-med GPA). Master's programs are extremely expensive (mine would've cost $130,000 without scholarships!) and provide very little pay increase considering their hefty price tags. Large scholarships for Master's are few and far-between, so unless you're already a very unique applicant, you will need to take some time to really bolster your resume to be eligible for an 'almost' full-ride or a full-ride (and even then, you have to be very proactive about finding money).

So if you do go the non-SMP/science-heavy Master's route, do it because you want to incorporate that degree in your future career as it won't boost your pre-med GPA as much as a post-bac will, and it will be VERY expensive if you do not put yourself in a favorable position to earn scholarships. About 20 of my classmates in my MPH program paid full price to attend for the sole purpose of gaining admission into med school, and ultimately, only 2 of them were admitted. As a result, most of them ended up with six-figures of debt, no med school acceptance, and no lifelong interest in their master's degree... Not good. Moral of the story: aside from the exceptions noted above, I highly recommend AGAINST pursuing a master's as a means to gain admission into medical school. Get a master's if you 1.) can afford it either through scholarships or independent wealth and 2.) if you truly believe you will gain value from that degree regardless of whether or not you'll become a physician.

Hope some of this advice about the two academic options were helpful. While I LOVED my Master's program, I found the post-bac to be most beneficial in terms of med school admissions and it's what I'd recommend for you. In short, if you want to go to med school, you CAN and WILL do it if you work hard on grade replacements, gain more life experience, and submit a strong/cohesive application early in the cycle. With discipline, perseverance, and time-management you CAN reach your dreams. Good luck. :)
Thanks! your reply definitely helped me choose postbacc over Masters. I definitely dont want to owe much more money than I already do.

One year won't be enough. You are going to need to produce multiple years of strong grades.

Agreed. I also graduated undergrad with a <3.0. Even with 4 years of near-perfect (3.9+) post-undergrad grades plus a decade of work experience, I still got A LOT of med school rejections (I lost track after 50) and didn't get my first II until my 2nd application cycle.

Last edited:
Don't overwhelm yourself and cram all the retakes into one or two semesters. You need to focus on strong grades ie As. Give yourself that time.