Need advice -- apply or do 1 yr masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ygreenst

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I really need some advice. I'm applying this year with a ~3.18 sci/3.4 non science and a 31 MCAT. I applied before but didnt get any interviews (my science GPA was 2.98 then and I'm a Cali resident) and have taken 20+ units of upper division science at my state school. But I'm still not sure it'll be enough to get me in this time. I have good EC's -- worked in clinical research in women's health for 2 yrs, interpreted at a free clinic, volunteer at the ER. Just not sure if my grades will cut it this year (but if I wait another year my MCAT will expire!). So should I apply and work, or do a 1 yr masters, like the Georgetown SMP or the BU program? Is anyone in a similar situation? I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Y

Members don't see this ad.

You could always do both! In fact the SMP program encourages you to both. You seem like a good SMP candidate, you should apply, its not too late for this cycle. By the way, the BU program is technically 2 yrs.

might as well take a shot and apply before your mcat runs out.
and like mike said...if you got the funds...then do both smp and apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like everyone above has said - do both! That is what I did last year, applied while in a 1 year Masters Program. I didn't get in that year but I was set for this year and I did get in.

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice guys. The reason I haven't applied SMP yet is that 1) I'm worried about the cost, 2) my significant other is going to law school in Boston in the fall 2005 (he's deferring). Do you think I'll have a chance at Boston schools after the G-town SMP? Any ideas?
Thanks again!
Y