NEED ADVICE: Apply to Hawaii???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boaconstrictor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, first post here. I really just wanted advice on this matter and wanted to see if I could get any.
I was really busy this summer and I neglected checking my junk email for about 2.5 weeks.
Checked it today and I have an email from Hawaii stating that they had emailed me previously for the $150 application fee (before secondary screening). I checked throughout my email and COULD NOT find it! I'm not sure what happened and it's really freaking me out now. The email said that if I did not pay the fee by Sep 11, then I'd be rejected....

I was verified around late July so I'm guessing the first email (that i could not find) was sent around then.

Since I had not heard from the school (or so I thought), I figured that they had screened me out due to my lower MCAT and being OOS....I accepted that sadly and I really should have called the school or checked on my status....but I was busy and yes, I regret just assuming I had been rejected.

So my question is: should I pay the $150 application fee for the SMALL chance of receiving a secondary? or just accept the rejection?

I think I will be considered OOS. I'm not a Hawaii resident now, but I lived there for 10+ years and I still consider it my true home and I DO hope to move back there in the future.

So, guys...is my chance so small that I shouldn't bother with the $150? 4.0/28Q

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, first post here. I really just wanted advice on this matter and wanted to see if I could get any.
I was really busy this summer and I neglected checking my junk email for about 2.5 weeks.
Checked it today and I have an email from Hawaii stating that they had emailed me previously for the $150 application fee (before secondary screening). I checked throughout my email and COULD NOT find it! I'm not sure what happened and it's really freaking me out now. The email said that if I did not pay the fee by Sep 11, then I'd be rejected....

I was verified around late July so I'm guessing the first email (that i could not find) was sent around then.

Since I had not heard from the school (or so I thought), I figured that they had screened me out due to my lower MCAT and being OOS....I accepted that sadly and I really should have called the school or checked on my status....but I was busy and yes, I regret just assuming I had been rejected.

So my question is: should I pay the $150 application fee for the SMALL chance of receiving a secondary? or just accept the rejection?

I think I will be considered OOS. I'm not a Hawaii resident now, but I lived there for 10+ years and I still consider it my true home and I DO hope to move back there in the future.

Uhh this isn't really a question any of us can answer.

Kinda up to you if you can afford it or not..

Members don't see this ad :)

I am from Hawaii and I hope I can help somewhat answer your question. If you have lived there for 10+, you might actually have been considered for "instate status." Before I go into that I will tell you there is a point system. The point system does vary where an instate applicant has to get 8 points while an out of state has to get 16 to get an interview. I myself do not know precisely how the point system work but I remember a few things.

1) Having a 3.8 GPA or above is considered 4 points (4 points for cumGPA and 4 points for sciGPA each above 3.8).
* I don't know how the points are given below that?

2) If you have above an 11 on each MCAT section there was 2 points awarded (if you have an 11 on each section you get 6 points total).
* I don't know how the points are given below that either?

3) 1 point for research

4) 1 point for publishing

5) 1 points for obtaining an M.S. and 2 points for Ph.d.

6) 1 point for extracurriculars

7) 2 points for honor or awards

8) 1 point for having above a 3.5 GPA for last 3 semesters.

9) 1 point if any of your relatives are JABSOM alumni

This is all I know and this is the straight up system.

There are "Hawaii" points given for 1) local high school attending 2) if you parents are born in Hawaii and some others I don't quite remember. If you accumulate enough of these "Hawaii" points then you are considered in state (even if you are born outside of Hawaii).

Since you accepted the OOS status, then I don't think your chances are good. They will only accept around 6-7 people from OOS and let me tell you they have some high stats.

Good luck on your application process though.

Last edited:
Islandstyle808,
Thanks for your thorough comment :)
I decided to just pay the fee and have a ridiculously small chance at the school. I'd honestly rather be rejected than not having tried.
When I think my future, I always picture living back in Hawaii....I definitely plan to one day!
I officially moved from the island 7 years ago, but went back to visit a few years ago...I seriously did not appreciate Oahu enough while living there. The spectacular waters, hiking trails, breezy and flowery scent, and overall friendly spirit and culture. You're so lucky you live there still :D

Anyway, good luck in your endeavors and thanks again for your help!

I am from Hawaii and I hope I can help somewhat answer your question. If you have lived there for 10+, you might actually have been considered for "instate status." Before I go into that I will tell you there is a point system. The point system does vary where an instate applicant has to get 8 points while an out of state has to get 16 to get an interview. I myself do not know precisely how the point system work but I remember a few things.

1) Having a 3.8 GPA or above is considered 4 points (4 points for cumGPA and 4 points for sciGPA each above 3.8).
* I don't know how the points are given below that?

2) If you have above an 11 on each MCAT section there was 2 points awarded (if you have an 11 on each section you get 6 points total).
* I don't know how the points are given below that either?

3) 1 point for research

4) 1 point for publishing

5) 1 points for obtaining an M.S. and 2 points for Ph.d.

6) 1 point for extracurriculars

7) 2 points for honor or awards

8) 1 point for having above a 3.5 GPA for last 3 semesters.

9) 1 point if any of your relatives are JABSOM alumni

This is all I know and this is the straight up system.

There are "Hawaii" points given for 1) local high school attending 2) if you parents are born in Hawaii and some others I don't quite remember. If you accumulate enough of these "Hawaii" points then you are considered in state (even if you are born outside of Hawaii).

Since you accepted the OOS status, then I don't think your chances are good. They will only accept around 6-7 people from OOS and let me tell you they have some high stats.

Good luck on your application process though.

JABSOM sucks. Apply elsewhere. $150 pre-fee, then a $120 (?) secondary fee, then assuming you get an interview you're looking at several hundred to $1k+ for a plane ticket depending where you live. Chances are slim for OOS anyway. I qualify as IS and I didn't bother applying.

Islandstyle808,
Thanks for your thorough comment :)
I decided to just pay the fee and have a ridiculously small chance at the school. I'd honestly rather be rejected than not having tried.
When I think my future, I always picture living back in Hawaii....I definitely plan to one day!
I officially moved from the island 7 years ago, but went back to visit a few years ago...I seriously did not appreciate Oahu enough while living there. The spectacular waters, hiking trails, breezy and flowery scent, and overall friendly spirit and culture. You're so lucky you live there still :D

Anyway, good luck in your endeavors and thanks again for your help!

Yep I definitely enjoy Oahu and it is a really beautiful place. I was originally born in Hilo and it was really "country" but I enjoyed it. However, I think I enjoy Oahu more because it has a good blend of both country and city life.

Good luck to you and I hope you get in because it really is a great school and the faculty there are great!

*Also the school is right behind a beach park, how awesome is that!