Need advice ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreityZ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I need some advice. I'm graduating with a biological science degree this month with a cumulative G.P.A. of 3.5, science G.P.A. of 3.2 and an MCAT of 31P. I applied this year and didn't get any interviews. One of the reasons may be because I don't have research experience even though I have done a lot of volunteering and doctor shadowing. I have just got accepted to a Special Masters Program and I also have the opportunity to conduct research for 4 months at a Texas university. So do you think I should do the Master's program since I have a low science G.P.A. or should I just do the research for a few months and then reapply? Also do you think I should take the MCAT again?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I need some advice. I'm graduating with a biological science degree this month with a cumulative G.P.A. of 3.5, science G.P.A. of 3.2 and an MCAT of 31P. I applied this year and didn't get any interviews. One of the reasons may be because I don't have research experience even though I have done a lot of volunteering and doctor shadowing. I have just got accepted to a Special Masters Program and I also have the opportunity to conduct research for 4 months at a Texas university. So do you think I should do the Master's program since I have a low science G.P.A. or should I just do the research for a few months and then reapply? Also do you think I should take the MCAT again?
Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, what kind of schools did you apply to? Did you mostly apply to "reach" schools, or did you stick to schools where you felt you had the best chance? I ask because I have somewhat similar stats, and now I'm freaking out about my chances. :scared:

One of the reasons may be because I don't have research experience even though I have done a lot of volunteering and doctor shadowing.
A lack of research is not a big deal at most schools. I wouldn't particularly sweat it. I think the weak spot on your app is probably your science GPA.
So do you think I should do the Master's program since I have a low science G.P.A. or should I just do the research for a few months and then reapply?
Personally, I think you should do neither. Your overall GPA is okay and your science GPA isn't far from okay. If you do a postbac and just take a year of science classes, you can bring your undergrad GPA up to acceptable number. A master's will give you a nice graduate GPA, but won't raise up your undergrad, which may make you ineligible for some cuts.
Also do you think I should take the MCAT again?
Your MCATs fine. I woudn't sweat it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to mostly average schools and a couple of reach schools. I think my science G.P.A is what greatly reduced my chances, at least according to one medical school admissions officer that I spoke with. But I also applied late because I waited for my August MCAT, so definetly try to get your application materials in early. I think that's pretty important.

I applied to mostly average schools and a couple of reach schools. I think my science G.P.A is what greatly reduced my chances, at least according to one medical school admissions officer that I spoke with. But I also applied late because I waited for my August MCAT, so definetly try to get your application materials in early. I think that's pretty important.

Crap. My science GPA is the same as yours (maybe a 3.24, I don't remember). But I will be applying within the first 2-3 days of when they open for submission, so I hope that helps. My stress level seriously just sky-rocketed.

A lack of research is not a big deal at most schools. I wouldn't particularly sweat it. I think the weak spot on your app is probably your science GPA.

Personally, I think you should do neither. Your overall GPA is okay and your science GPA isn't far from okay. If you do a postbac and just take a year of science classes, you can bring your undergrad GPA up to acceptable number. A master's will give you a nice graduate GPA, but won't raise up your undergrad, which may make you ineligible for some cuts.

Your MCATs fine. I woudn't sweat it.

I was wondering what science classes I should take if I do a postbac. Can I do these classes at any school? Also, I thought that AMCAS only calculates the science G.P.A. based on the pre-med science classes (i.e.Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math). So, if I did take postbac classes how would that affect that calculated G.P.A.? Thanks so much for the advice! :)

I applied this year and didn't get any interviews. One of the reasons may be because I don't have research experience even though I have done a lot of volunteering and doctor shadowing. I have just got accepted to a Special Masters Program and I also have the opportunity to conduct research for 4 months at a Texas university. So do you think I should do the Master's program since I have a low science G.P.A. or should I just do the research for a few months and then reapply? Also do you think I should take the MCAT again?
Thanks!

That's not necessarily true, research is by no means a requirement for entry to med school! Moreover, most undergrad research is crap anyway.

I think the master's program is a better choice for you. Prove to them you can handle the course load and that's more reassuring than some measly 4 month stint at a Texas university research lab.

Also, just curious - what was your MCAT score break-down? Hopefully the science sections were high to make up for the low science GPA.

If you decide to take the MCAT again, don't make this mistake again! However, I wouldn't advise retaking because I think you did well enough. Apply to a few "safety" schools. If you feel obligated to do something school-related, do the post-bac. And throw in some research. You'll be fine.

I was wondering what science classes I should take if I do a postbac. Can I do these classes at any school? Also, I thought that AMCAS only calculates the science G.P.A. based on the pre-med science classes (i.e.Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math). So, if I did take postbac classes how would that affect that calculated G.P.A.? Thanks so much for the advice! :)

Ugh. First, there is no "science GPA". It's the BCPM GPA. Take higher level science courses (physical chemistry, cell biology, biochemistry, histology, molecular biology, immunology, virology, human physiology, etc.). There's nine courses you can choose from, all of which would improve your ugrad and BCPM GPA.

AMCAS calculates the BCPM GPA based on ALL of the undergraduate-level courses you have taken that can be classified as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Math courses.

Post-bac courses are considered undergraduate courses and are calculated in your cumulative and BCPM GPA's. SMP courses are graduate level courses and do NOT change your undergrad/BCPM GPA's.

-z

That's not necessarily true, research is by no means a requirement for entry to med school! Moreover, most undergrad research is crap anyway.

I think the master's program is a better choice for you. Prove to them you can handle the course load and that's more reassuring than some measly 4 month stint at a Texas university research lab.

Also, just curious - what was your MCAT score break-down? Hopefully the science sections were high to make up for the low science GPA.

My MCAT breakdown was:

11 on Verbal
10 on Physical sciences
10 on Biological sciences

Do the post-bac, in my opinion. It shows commitment to learning science, and you can boost the grades. You aren't committed to research so doing so, especially only for 4 months, won't do you much. Sure research looks good but most schools are there to produce adequate clinicians, not researchers. As far as the MCAT, it's good. No need to retake unless you have the time/patience to restudy and retake it and make a big impact. Your score meets the unofficial cuts.