need advice- Berkeley, NYU, or UVA informal PostBac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kris105c

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting desperate. I need to make up my mind very soon because classes start at the end of this month so I need your help.

I am deciding between UC Berkeley's extension program, NYU, and doing an informal program at UVA. So let me fill you in...

Berkeley Extension
I have been leaning toward Berkeley's post-bac program. The advisor, Patrick Brown, has been really helpful and I have always sort of wanted to go out west. It sounds like there are alot of opportunities in the Bay area and I would be able to finish the classes I need in 1 year. Also the program is rather inexpensive compared to many other post bac programs. But I am still unsure about the program from some of the posts I have read about it...

NYU
Everything I have read about this program has been positive and encouraging. Again the location and the reputation of the school are what initially attracted me to it. But the cost of the program is a major barrier...

UVA- informal
I am from Virginia and I graduated in the spring from UVA. I really like Charlottesville and had a great experience at UVA, I just think I might be ready for a change. I missed the deadline to apply to UVA's post bac program which is supposed to be pretty good. But last week I spoke with one of the directors of the program who assured me that I would be permitted to stay at UVA next year as a Community scholar. So I could take the 5 courses i need to finish my prerequisites but would not be formally enrolled in UVA's program. This is appealing because I am comfortable at UVA and so it would not be any major transition but I feel I might be ready for something new.

So I guess the decision is more between staying at UVA or moving to Berkeley. I just want to be sure the program at Berkeley is worth passing up taking classes at UVA. So if you have any advice or any suggestions at all please respond. I'm running out of time.

Members don't see this ad.

vcu also has a post-bacc program to take the prereqs, in case u want to stay in VA.

check your private messages...