Quantcast

MD Need Advice: (cGPA 3.83, sGPA 3.81, 507 MCAT (128 PS, 124 CARS, 128 BB, 127 PC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xhallziex

New Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2016
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
Hey everyone,

So I just got my MCAT score back today and safe to say I was less than thrilled, particularly by the CARS section.. As a matter of fact I was shocked as it was consistently my best section during the practice exams. Either way I need to decide if I should apply outright, or take the exam again (Sept 9/10). If I have a chance to apply, what schools should I consider? Should I send my applications ASAP and then wait on my new score to come in? Was previously looking at MSTP programs (MD/PhD), but feel that's more than out of reach of my MCAT.

I'm currently participating in a 2-year mentorship/research position at UT Southwestern Medical Center and have control over a few projects. Should be on a few papers within the next year (possible first author), I have the option to switch from a Maine resident to a Texas resident for the application process, however I haven't made a decision on that yet. Maine residents have the option to participate in a special program at Tufts, but there are many more schools in Texas.

Some more credentials: Chemistry major from Clemson University (additional year of research), volunteer work with a memory care nursing home (to compliment my research on Alzheimer's at UTSW), future attendee of GRC (Neurobiology of Brain Disorders - presenting poster), Phi Beta Kappa, United to Serve, strong LoR, three years of Arabic language studies, lots of travel experience
 
Last edited:

Faha

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2012
Messages
15,442
Reaction score
7,273
Your chances for a MD acceptance are much better if you can claim Texas residency and apply to all the Texas schools. Taking the MCAT again in September is unlikely to help you because your score will not be available until October at which time half of the interview slots have already been offered. If you are going to apply you should submit your application this month and all your secondaries by early August.
 

xhallziex

New Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2016
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
What about if I take the test again on July 22nd? I know I don't have much time to prepare but considering my current occupation I don't think it would take too much time to rebound to where I was at with the PS, BB, and Psych/Soc scores.. Need to decide ASAP so I can maximize my time if need be. Essentially I think I have a strong background but that CARS section is going to stick out like a sore thumb. Thoughts? @Faha
 

Faha

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2012
Messages
15,442
Reaction score
7,273
It is more important to submit your application early. You can retake the MCAT and the schools you apply to will receive the score by the end of August. There is data on those who retake the MCAT. 1/3 score the same or lower (which hurts their application). 1/3 score slightly higher (neutral since adcoms expect you will score a little higher due to familiarity with the test). 1/3 score significantly higher which helps the application.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
Top