Need advice - current applicant with no A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TotalBioNerd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle but don't have an A yet and am freaking out. I got 2 IIs early in the cycle (1 in August and 1 in September) but nothing since. I applied to 20 schools and currently have 2 IIs, 3 pre-II Rs, and 2 "official" pre-II holds. 1 interview hasn't happened yet, the other school deferred me. Complete silence from the others. At my advisor's recommendation, I did not apply DO and I'm kicking myself for that. The problem is that I don't know what I could do to significantly improve my application for future cycles. I could improve my MCAT, but I'd have to increase my score significantly to make a difference in my application and I don't know if it's worth it, especially considering I'm not trying to get into top 20 schools or anything. I'm already a certified EMT and volunteer at a local station frequently. I also previously worked as a critical care tech in a hospital, a dental assistant/sterilization tech, and a science summer camp counselor, I'm currently a medical assistant at an urgent care and a tutor. In terms of research, I don't have any publications yet because I work in a newly established lab, but I'm still doing research. I have leadership experience and have been involved in the arts as a hobby. MCAT 511 and cGPA 4.0. PA resident applying to schools in the general PA area and ORM. Sorry for the long post, but does anyone have advice on what I could do to reinvent myself as a reapplicant? Any thoughts are appreciated because I don't know what to do and feel stuck.

Members don't see this ad.

How many hours clinical exposure?

Shadowing?
Nonclinical Volunteering? In what venue?

For starters, work on interview skills, and rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them.

How many hours clinical exposure?

Shadowing?
Nonclinical Volunteering? In what venue?

For starters, work on interview skills, and rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them.
Over 1000 hours of clinical exposure and counting. Shadowing in a variety of specialties, both inpatient and outpatient. Nonclinical volunteering at a variety of locations, (homeless shelter, church-related functions, Ronald McDonald house, handmade donations, planned fundraising for local charities, etc), but admittedly could be more consistent. Volunteering has been frequent, but not necessarily through the same organization. I've gotten interview tips through my undergrad pre-med program and had many people read essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your school list?

IF you get shut out, DO schools need to be on the next cycle list.

Look, you got two IIs. Most people aren't' that lucky. So be patient and stay busy.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying this cycle but don't have an A yet and am freaking out. I got 2 IIs early in the cycle (1 in August and 1 in September) but nothing since. I applied to 20 schools and currently have 2 IIs, 3 pre-II Rs, and 2 "official" pre-II holds. 1 interview hasn't happened yet, the other school deferred me. Complete silence from the others. At my advisor's recommendation, I did not apply DO and I'm kicking myself for that. The problem is that I don't know what I could do to significantly improve my application for future cycles. I could improve my MCAT, but I'd have to increase my score significantly to make a difference in my application and I don't know if it's worth it, especially considering I'm not trying to get into top 20 schools or anything. I'm already a certified EMT and volunteer at a local station frequently. I also previously worked as a critical care tech in a hospital, a dental assistant/sterilization tech, and a science summer camp counselor, I'm currently a medical assistant at an urgent care and a tutor. In terms of research, I don't have any publications yet because I work in a newly established lab, but I'm still doing research. I have leadership experience and have been involved in the arts as a hobby. MCAT 511 and cGPA 4.0. PA resident applying to schools in the general PA area and ORM. Sorry for the long post, but does anyone have advice on what I could do to reinvent myself as a reapplicant? Any thoughts are appreciated because I don't know what to do and feel stuck.
This cycle is not over yet. So, good luck.
In case you have to get to next cycle, I would work on MCAT. If you can get it close to 520 - will be great. Again, don't get too excited about the number 520. I am just saying your application looks strong on all other ends.
You also want to rework your essays. With such a strong application, if you have had not had much love, it is likely the essays. FYI - this was an atypical cycle - higher competition etc. So may be your essays were ok, but there were just way too many. Remember - ORM doesnt help!
Finally, school list. While there is no safety med schools, You may want to spread it out farther than just PA area - though there are quite a few between PA, NJ, and NY.

Reactions: 1 user